It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korea starts testing 'recharging road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Korea starts testing 'recharging road

www.engadget.com

Time to set aside the chains of worry that have prevented us from jumping on the electric bandwagon -- Korean researchers have figured out a way to make us forget all about charging stations and cruising ranges with their magnetically recharging road. The Online Electric Vehicle (OLEV) you see here went into service yesterday and can now be found towing three bus-loads of tourists around a Seoul amusement park. It operates on a battery five times smaller than conventional EV juice packs and can collect its power through non-contact magnetic transmission from the recharging strips in the ground. We're also told running costs for this system are a third of what a typical EV would require, and should it prove successful and find itself expanded to the public transport system, only about 20 percent of bus routes would need to be electrified -- at bus stops, crossroads and the like -- with the rest being covered by the power stored inside the OLEV. Here's to hoping it all works out.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/11/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Fascinating.

I really don't know what to say about this other than...fascinating.

To be able to charge your car as you drive along a road would be an amazing step in the right direction...

Of course it won't happen here even if it does work until someone (most likely a corporation) figures out how to make you pay and pay and pay.

The only question I can think of is what impact would it have on wildlife that uses the earth's magnetic field to navigate?

www.engadget.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think system can work well... But problems will come when all mighty Oil indusry will block these great ideas from happening - like it always does, and what we get... Nothing but new Humwees!

Without those damn corporations we all could have free water-fueled cars, and like free telecommunications, and other fine educational stuff.

But no - we are ment to fight wars for corpration profits, not lift our educational levels or our happiness in here
Its so sad to understand what we could be, without greed and selfish minds amongst elite banksters toughts.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I like the idea and the development of it. Given fusion power we could maintain our current infrastructure of highways with a major update.

It has one serious drawback. Strong magnetic fields can produce undesirable medical problems in humans and animals. A very in-depth study needs to be done before such a system is built to ensure it's safe.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by airforce47

That would be my concern too. I would like to think that they would work all of that out ahead of time but I know better...I may be crazy but I'm no fool.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

I ran into a vid a while ago from a guy demoing this tech, just looked it up again then..

Eric Giler Demos wireless electricity

In case your interested.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
S. Korea has rechargeable roads...

N. Korea can't provide electricity to it's starving population...

Something just doesn't seem right.

Winter

top topics

join