It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition to preserve ATS Chat service

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This thread is in response to SkepticOverlord's announcement that the upcoming overhaul of the website will see an end to the current chat system.

The passionate participants of the ATS chat aren't numerous, but 'quality over quantity' vertebrates through it's flimsy flash based walls. Over the past few months I have met numerous friends within it's dinky and out-dated framework and ultimately latched onto it's various charms.

However it's not only the the chimes and dings that bring a soothing feeling to me, throughout my day, it's the minor community that has embraced it. I know that there are major changes being implemented into the system and I'm very open to these changes on almost every front. Of course, every front but this one.

This is a petition with a very simple request. Mods and admins, please feel free to provide an alternative chat (mutter) to the ATS community. That would be a welcome addition; But please leave the classic chat in the deep recesses of the site! We like it!

Perhaps we can spend more ATS points in order to gain access to the classic chat; That would be acceptable. It doesn't seem to take up many resources from a website management perspective and would require more effort to actually remove it, then to leave it for legacy sake. Please consider this as an option.

Please flag this thread to sign the petition, and post a response to suggest any alternatives you may have. This of course is up for discussion as it effects (albeit a minor section of) the ATS community.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If it wasnt for chat i wouldnt of got to know, cap,doc, pat,ayana,rising against,lf and other great people, you can also have good old chats about anything

Keep chat

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Noo!
I love chat!

Great people on there, great crack!

Serious discussions or just the jokey normal banter!

I don't want it to go!

Please don't make it go

I've met loads of ATS friends on there! I know not loads of people use it, but the people who do are awesome and I'd miss them lots if we had to go on to mutter!

FLAGGED

Ayana x

Oh, and edit to say, I also like the noises! Especially when people log in/out.

[edit on 11/3/2010 by Ayana]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We really do need to keep chat.

People their are so friendly, and it is just nice to go to after a long day to just hang out and get to know people from ATS. It's awsome

Keep chat!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
PLEASE KEEP CHAT. I look forward to chat everyday. Dont want to see it go.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
TBH before this post I was completely unaware ATS had a chatroom!

I'd like the opportunity to visit now I do and it would be a shame for those who see it as a haven to lose it.

Lug

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What's the difference between Mutter and Chat? Both do exactly the same thing as I see it.
Is it because Chat is sort of hidden and Mutter is there for everyone to see?

just wondering

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookzor

Lol, we're up there inbetween 'help' and 'submit'!

That just proves that the reason it is underused is because people are unaware of it!

Keep chat!

We love it!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
They should abolish the chat system here and now, and replace it with a decent IRC server. That's just my opinion, but a very valid suggestion.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Happyfeet]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Keep the chat!
I had very interesting conversations in there, and ofcourse a few laughs.

PS: Whooop whoop!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think chat should stay... nobody ever really notices it

Can we get the site editor to turn the button yellow for just a week and see if anyone else comes in and enjoys it?

My 3 Cents, sorry I has to spend the other 2 on taxes

Keep Chat!

Besides, I used to think half the posters were CrAzY until I realized they are just sarcastic as all get out

Keep Chat, Keep Chat!

edit to add:

on a more serious note

AHEM.

If we cant Keep ATS Chat services, can we get something other than mutter? Its slow and takes too long for a decent conversation.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by rjmelter]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
save chat it's always used every single day.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

I am to understand that ats owns, essentially, anything posted here.

That ats has recently gone commercial is the cause for the effect. Look for more changes versed toward this end, though I suspect that the main targeted change will be a trend toward political correctness.

Only recently did I attempt to access chat, and surprisingly, I cannot. Always some strange message comes up, denying access. OK. My guess is that ats has more commercial viability by forcing members to only post in a permanent, public fashion, such as on their forums. 'Chat' would not be as enforceable in terms of ats owning it, using it toward whatever end...commercial, political, extortion, or what have you. Extortion becomes less 'unsavory' and less of a definition once politics change sufficiently to allow it, hence it's inclusion as a possible usage of your words being 'owned' by another. We are talking about, after all, information. Also, 'chat' would allow writers to release steam, possibly diluting the overall message (commitment to cause=label for later date roundup), should this feature continue. Something's afoot. Has anyone noted how the duracell bunny government just keeps going, going, with things that will cause certain collapse? While at the same time the subject matter here at ats and most of the net, is somehow getting weaker, more censored???

There has been enough mickey mouse for three revolutions already.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I love chat.

Mutter is great also but chat is I don't know, plenty of laughs, memories.

I love chat.

edit: It's a shame to move on just for moving on's sake no?

[edit on 11/3/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann[/i

I had a hard time signing into the chat (in the past) as well.

I think I tried it 4-5 times over a period of a few months and it wouldn't work, despite my post count. However, it just worked one day and I haven't had any problems since. It's quite a nice little spot. It's worth the effort.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

You need to promote the CHAT by putting it in the front page or something.

Don't you know what a powerful force ATS chat could be? Live alerting of Breaking news, all kinds of good stuff could happen in CHAT if somebody would see its potential.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Pocky]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

he might not have enough posts to sign on yet dude

2nd line
and a 3rd

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ok, I'll step up as the first Staff Member.

Please keep chat alive.

We love our chat.

Mutter is cool, but chatter is better.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ayana

Originally posted by Dookzor

Lol, we're up there inbetween 'help' and 'submit'!
That just proves that the reason it is underused is because people are unaware of it!
Keep chat!
We love it!

I agree with you here. I eventually found the chat after spending 7-8 months on ATS by a wrong click else I wouldn't have known about it. I use chat at times, it's okay.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Don't have the post count to use chat yet - but it's a motivating factor of this site. Okay, it could encourage spam but still...I look forward to ‘Chat.’

Please don’t scrap it...I haven’t even had the chance to start using it

[edit on 11/3/2010 by BlackPoison94]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join