It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurt Turner

I am forced to learn math I will never use

Why will you never use it? It's because you are going to CHOOSE not to use it. Or am I suppose to believe math is worthless? Math is one of the few things that I think most can agree on that is a pure knowledge that can't be used to push an agenda. So what do you learn in high school math? Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Pre-Calc, and maybe calculus if you get far enough. All very useful subjects to know if you value knowledge.

This signals to me that you really don't have your eyes open...because if you did you would see that it isn't all about learning a specific equation that you can use in your daily life...but it is about LEARNING how to learn that specific equation and LEARNING how to use the skill of learning in different ways.

I am forced to read books ill never gain anything from

Ah, literature. Unfortunately you, like most other younger kids, like myself when I was your age will not appreciate this until you are older. It's just one of those things. You will be glad you read those books in 5-10 years...I can't even explain why...but you will...and you may even go back and read them again

I am forced to fill out surveys that tell me I should work at a desk job.

I'm thinking you didn't like the result more so then you didn't like the act of filling out the survey. There to be used as a guide...not to be a strict outline for your life. Analyze the results yourself and find something useful that you can use from it.

I don't care what you have to say

Hey, YOU came here to share your views...I didn't come to you to ask about them. Very hostile...and all I did was ask for clarification on your statements. I don't think you have your eyes open at all, it's my opinion from your behavior...not saying it is fact. I think you are using the "blame the system" as an excuse for something else. What that is I don't know.

everyone I know that is in college has ended up in business and finance and are now #ing miserable.

I went to college...I'm not in business or finance...and I'm definately not miserable. But I am starting to see that you are using negative reinforcements to build up your own wolrd view in your head. You aren't really looking at the world as how it is...you are building your own reality. Your hostility is unwarrented.

I would go into the military I have thought a lot about it but why would I do that if I don't support our commander and thief named OBAMA.

Yes...I can now see that you aren't brainwashed at all. Just going to take a random guess here...Fox News fan?

Im not very good at art and these days what people consider ART is total bull #.

Fair enough...I'm no artist either. I don't really care what other people consider art...I know what I consider as being art and beautiful. If others don't agree...I don't mind.

The big machine is our america which is not what our founding fathers wanted the federal gov

The founding fathers also wanted America to have slavery, not allow non-whites to vote, and not allow women to vote. I'm not sure why so many people feel like they had it all worked out so perfectly. America has evolved...I suggest you evolve with it or be left behind. Again...this is how the REAL world works...I'm a realist...I just see things how they are.

Call me a pissed of teenager I really don't care because like I said I believe what I believe because I feel that it is right

You certainly are hostile and very angry. You are entitled to believe what ever you want...but saying it is "right" just because you feel like it is "right" isn't exactly having your eyes open to wide...seems a little self-centered to me.

Most of the great minds in the world thought school was bull so if that doesn't tell you something than I don't know what will.

School is bull...if you don't know how to use it to your advantage. But just by thinking school is bull doesn't automatically make you a great mind. I'm sure there are plenty of crack heads and thugs that also thought school was bull.

I'm dissapointed at the hostility. I simply asked for clarification...and I get hostility....and I didn't really get many answers. If this is your attitude in school...then I can see why you get in trouble.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I do not mean to sound hostile but I have learned a lot of math and read a lot of books from which I have gained much from but I don't like how you make it out to seem like im just some pissed off teenager who just wants to rebel. I plan to go to college and I take what I need from school. I just don't like what they are trying to do to most kids. If you contradict them then your some kind of out cast or loser. A complete idiot who knows nothing. I also do not get in trouble in school Im not sure where you got that from I just get lectured about not contradicting when I am just trying to get better educated about a subject. I did not ask for advice about this by the way I was trying to see how others felt about the subject not how others felt about me talking about explaining how I feel. I understand that I must have come off as a dick but you have to understand im sick of being treated like an ignorant teenager by others and schools just because of my age does not mean I don't know whats right and that its wrong to treat me like im dumb because I ask questions and question what they are teaching. And no I am not a fox news fan I'm not sure what your trying to say by that but I don't believe I have ever watched fox news.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It would offer more insight if I knew the generation or class year of the posters. Maybe a quick edit from those that wouldn't mind.

I experienced K-12 enrolled in AP schools. There was an obvious difference in the quality of teaching material and special projects from "regular" school. (Friends I played sports with attended other schools) I experienced an environment which facilitated open dialogue and discussion. It was a serious attempt to prepare students for college.

Class of 2000

new topics

<< 1   >>

join