It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Democrats looking at 'Slaughter Solution' to pass Obamacare without a vote on Senate bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Article Here

Would House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her fellow House Democratic leaders try to cram the Senate version of Obamacare through the House without actually having a recorded vote on the bill?

Not only is the answer yes, they would, they have figured out a way to do it, according to National Journal's Congress Daily:

"House Rules Chairwoman Louise Slaughter is prepping to help usher the healthcare overhaul through the House and potentially avoid a direct vote on the Senate overhaul bill, the chairwoman said Tuesday.

"Slaughter is weighing preparing a rule that would consider the Senate bill passed once the House approves a corrections bill that would make changes to the Senate version.

"Slaughter has not taken the plan to Speaker Pelosi as Democrats await CBO scores on the corrections bill. 'Once the CBO gives us the score, we'll spring right on it,' she said."

Each bill that comes before the House for a vote on final passage must be given a rule that determines things like whether the minority would be able to offer amendments to it from the floor.

In the Slaughter Solution, the rule would declare that the House "deems" the Senate version of Obamacare to have been passed by the House. House members would still have to vote on whether to accept the rule, but they would then be able to say they only voted for a rule, not for the bill itself.

Knowing what is in this bill, I find it very disturbing to say the least that they are so desperate to pass this bill in that face of overwhelming opposition to this particular bill. I wonder how much it costs for Pelosi and Slaughter to sell out the soul of an entire nation to would-be dictators of the world.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I can't imagine that this 'solution' would pass Constitutional muster. Then again, their health care plan probably wouldn't either, so I guess this is a perfect match made in hell.

I wonder if these idiots realize that one day, they'll be in the minority again, and if they're successful in circumventing the process in this way, it'll be used against them one day soon when they're in the minority themselves.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Such a tactic would be very obvious to everyone. I don't a lot of these people care about getting re-elected apparently.

Speak of which what kind of people live in San Francisco to keep voting Pelosi in?

I mean I have heard a lot of hellish stories about the people in San Fran but damn it must be a fascist utopia to keep voting for her.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
well they better get ready to deal with the consequences of treating our country like some kind of game that they are playing so they get what they want.

its the peoples decision.

this WILL end badly if these people think this will work for them.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Pelosi wouldn't cheat like that, would she?

If this were to happen, can't the Supreme Court step in at some point?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You Americans should get free healthcare like Europe.
Life would be less stressfull.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
At this point I would not be a bit surprised if they just let Obama pantomime signing his name in the air and calling it good enough, the bill is now the law.

Wonder if security will be heightened and extra Capitol and DC Metro Police will be on duty when it does come time for Obama to sign it. Or are they really that out of touch with some people's more extreme feelings on the subject?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I am not surprised by these current machinations.

I will not be surprised at all when (not if) the pass the bill using this tactic or one similar in nature to do it.

STAR and flag!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Is this like the "Nuclear option"?

John Stewart should have fun with this one. Once again, this is all being slammed! through...... in the course of a year.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Now I remember her I am even less surprised now.

Slaughter is one of the most liberal members of the New York congressional delegation from upstate New York, and in the 110th Congress (2007-2008), was the most liberal member of the entire House of Representatives according to National Journal. Indeed, among Congressmen from upstate, only fellow Democrat Maurice Hinchey has a lower lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union. She is one of several Democratic congressmen and senators who post at Daily Kos, a Democratic-oriented blog. She is also a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

In early 2005, she authored the Fairness and Accountability in Broadcasting Act, or FAB Act, which would reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, which has been criticized as an attempt to silence religious and conservative broadcasters.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Pelosi wouldn't cheat like that, would she?

If this were to happen, can't the Supreme Court step in at some point?

Or perhaps the military - "...All enemies - foreign and DOMESTIC"!

I'm just sayin'....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The Supreme Court are wimps. They wouldn't step in.

The military wouldn't either, too brainwashed.

The people wouldn't do anything either, since 90% want reform, so most of them would just say : eh it's better than nothing, and I won't put my whole life on jeopardy over this.

The only way to stop that would be to march on Washington DC. I mean they do that and they effectively say that the democratic republic doesn't exist anymore.

It's high treason.

Now the only ones who might do something about it are some militias or ``lone nuts``.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wait a second... Am I reading this correctly? They are creating a "rule" that would allow the house to pass a bill and submit it for presidential signing without a vote by the senate?

If that is the case, and it is actually done, then maybe that's why the department of education is ordering 27 shotguns for delivery by the 22st of March. This blatent disregard of the constitution would usher in a new wave of bad laws that will further erode the rule of law...

Maybe they don't actually plan on *having* an election this year...?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If this is what thier planning to do, then they are violating the united states constittuion, and are themselves, in on obama's and governements plot against us. Why else would they do something as lazy as this? Most of us have read, about how congress 'rushes' bills before being entirely read...sounds like they want MORE controll over us.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Which is more important, Healthcare or jobs/improved economy?

Healthcare needs fixing but even this plan will take at least 5 years to take effect. That means many who are currently without health insurance will still have to wait.Furthermore, there is no GUARANTEE that this plan will lower premiums or cost.

Everything is based on speculations, lies, a crappy bill and of course, HOPE.

Meanwhile, people are still losing their jobs and homes, economy is still suffering, price of food and gas increasing, and there seems to be no real effort to improve the economy.

Basically, it has all been about healthcare.

IMO, Obama and Congress have wasted time on healthcare. Time they could have used to address the economy. If they had helped to improve the economy in the first place, they could have passed their healthcare easily.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I can't imagine that this 'solution' would pass Constitutional muster. Then again, their health care plan probably wouldn't either, so I guess this is a perfect match made in hell.

I wonder if these idiots realize that one day, they'll be in the minority again, and if they're successful in circumventing the process in this way, it'll be used against them one day soon when they're in the minority themselves.

this was already done to the minority democrats during the previous 14 years of republican control of congress...

exactly how many people do you want to die in this country from NOT being able to afford their own healthcare??

tell me where people making minimum wage or a buck or 2 more an hour, can buy healthcare coverage??

c'mon...you think the republicans want to make sure the poor in this country get medical coverage?? they had 6 years from 2000 to 2006 to do this...i guess they don't care about poor americans...and you want them BACK IN POWER?...right....sure...yeah, good idea...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
c'mon...you think the republicans want to make sure the poor in this country get medical coverage?? they had 6 years from 2000 to 2006 to do this...i guess they don't care about poor americans...and you want them BACK IN POWER?...right....sure...yeah, good idea...

It's not a matter of whether anyone wants them back in power or not. The way things are going, they *WILL* be back in power. What's scary about that is that any loopholes or rules that are put into place by the Democrats in an effort to power play *WILL* be exploited by Republicans as well.

Breaking and bending the rules to force a law is never a good idea, regardless what the law is about. It will always be a double edged sword.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just thought this thread could use a little humor. Bold emphasis mine

The President has vowed that the health reform process will be different in his Administration – an open, inclusive, and transparent process where all ideas are encouraged and all parties work together to find a solution to the health care crisis.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh God this bill is a 3000 page monstrosity packed with unfair buyouts of votes jail for people who dont buy insurance and cuts to Medicaid so huge older Americans will more or less be told `take a pain pill` To try and ram this through it looks like they will stop at nothing . Ive never seen anything as disgusting as this in all my years of watching government operate.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Congress should listed to these babies.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join