It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

I disagree with the stance you are taking, but that is your choice.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

So lets assume for one moment that you were at that school and it was your prom.

What would you have the school do? Cancel the entire prom because of this girl? Would you be okay with that?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

All she wanted to do was attend prom. Yet the school board forced their will upon her and said we dont want you to attend prom so we are canceling prom.

Here in the real worldd, where i live, we have a thing called RULES. Out dated or no, they are there for everyone. Just because someone thinks that they are better than everyone else because they are gay/lesbian does not give them the privelage to break the rules. This KID ruined everyones prom because she thought she was special and didnt have to abey the rules. She is no more special than i am, but i understand that RULES are RULES.

Get your butt off of your shoulders.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Did you not read the rest of my post?

Originally posted by ratcals
Just for the record AND despite my earlier comments I agree. Cancelling the prom was a mistake. The girls should have been allowed to attend just like everyone else.

And no, you do not have to agree with my stance. Just like I don't have to agree with the advancement of the homosexual acceptance in today's society.

That's why it's called "agreeing to disagree."

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

How exactly did she think she was special?

She wanted to attend prom, so did everyone else.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Yeah why didnt those black people just keep their mouths shut. Why do they think they deserve to get on a bus or swim in pools as a black person.
They could easily put paint on their faces and walk around like a nomral white person... but they are so ignorant they ruined it for everyone right?

I want to punch your soul.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It is ridiculous that this is even an issue. It's easy to blame the girl for all of this, but it all goes back to that school board. She obviously tried to do the right thing by respectfully asking permission to do all of this and this was how they responded. I don't blame her for making a fuss because this is stupid. If it were me, I would have just showed up without saying anything, but that's just me. She has every right to speak up about this. In the United States, you can speak out against the rules, so it just annoys me when people think we live in some sort of dictatorship where you cannot question anything. This is the land of the Free, free from religious persecution, freedom to make your own life within the boundaries of the law. Homosexuality, gay marriage, those are religious issues, not something the government nor any school should interfere with.

This is a distraction? So what, I remember all the goofy stuff students would wear when I was in high school and I've seen guys dress up in dresses at the prom just to get a laugh. This school should be sued, or at least the school board should be removed because by singling this girl out, they have not only violated her civil rights but potentially put her in danger. I'm glad this is out in the media because I can only imagine what would happen to her if there wasn't any sort of national attention on this.

This school and others like it need to get with the times.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Look at it this way, if she had just kept her "mouth" shut and shown up to the prom in the manner she'd planned, THEN been turned away, her case would have more credibility.

Instead she chose to blab all over school (I'm sure) about the tuxedo and whatever else beforehand and ruin it for everybody.

Peace

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

She thought it was OK for her to breeak the rules that were in place.
She thought she was special. What didnt you understand?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211 I don't go out of my way to go and do something that would make me or others around me uncomfortable. Especially not just to make a point.

If it makes others uncomfortable, is that not their problem? I mean really, that is one of the most childish retorts ever. That's the great thing about our freedom, it may make other people uncomfortable at times, but to box everything into an individual's comfort zone (which could be who knows what) is a sad statement on humanity.

I would feel like a lot of people had spent time, effort, and money and so it would be totally selfish of me to possibly ruin that for the others just so I could make my point.

On that ideology, many revolutions would not have begun, let alone concluded in betterment for people.

I'm curious too, since in this thread apparently America is a democracy, and in other threads "it's not a democracy, it's a republic." Which is it?

But, hey, that's just me ...

Thank God for that.

*Edit - Speeling

[edit on 3/11/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I want to punch your soul.

I like this quote so much I want to make it my sig lol

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Technically she didn't break any rules seen as she didn't even get the chance to turn up.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Instead she chose to blab all over school (I'm sure) about the tuxedo and whatever else beforehand and ruin it for everybody.

So now attempting to go through official channels to have a rule changed is "blab to ruin it for everyone"?

If she had shown up and been turned away we would be hearing these same people saying she "should have brought it to the school boards attention".

I am so glad that things are changing(slowly).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Like Rosa Parks? Yeah what a %&^*( she was. Now you have to talk to black people, and see black people hug on the bus right..... right? I would have hoped as a forum monitor you would be one of the few enlightened people.

You sir, are going to be the focus of all my negative energy today, because you deserve it.

link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

I don't go out of my way to go and do something that would make me or others around me uncomfortable. Especially not just to make a point.

Yes...from your posting history you strike me as a real "shrinking violet"...

You would quietly allow yourself to be discriminated against to avoid making a ruckus? Wouldn't want people to feel "uncomfortable"...Really?

FYI - Why do you think these two women opted to face this controversy rather than simply acquiesce to being discriminated against?

You called it "grandstanding"...what does that mean?

Is it possible that they found the courage to stand up in the face of ridicule and controversy...that they thought about others like themselves who suffer similiar discrimination...and that they chose to to stand and take the heat simply because IT WAS WRONG.

The school board are the ones that made the decision to cancel the Prom, not these girls.

They simply chose to take a stand and I applaud their courage.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by maybereal11]

link   
Well, on the bright side, now they can skip the prom and go straight to the hotel

On a serious note, I find the school districts actions disgraceful. It's almost as if they think they can wish away homosexuality by pretending it doesn't exist...or brushing it under the rug (no pun intended).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
We had some sort of bs go on at our senior prom, not quite this bad, but still laying down who you could and could not bring for a date (no miscegenatin!)

So the student body arranged their own prom, away from the school, and to hell with the school board. It was a lot more fun, I suspect.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

OK so she openly said that her plan was to do so and shat on everyone elses good time in the process.

If i openly said that i was going to murder someone, do you think the police would wait areound to see if i actually did it?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Here in the real worldd, where i live, we have a thing called RULES. Out dated or no, they are there for everyone. Just because someone thinks that they are better than everyone else because they are gay/lesbian does not give them the privelage to break the rules.

Even if those rules are unconstitutional? So we throw out the Constitution because these tool want rules that are illegal?

This KID ruined everyones prom because she thought she was special and didnt have to abey the rules. She is no more special than i am, but i understand that RULES are RULES.

She didn't ruin anything for anybody. She exercised her rights and the school board got pissy and ruined it for everyone. They were going to have their way no matter who is hurt or inconvenienced.

Get your butt off of your shoulders.

MessOnTheFED!

Maybe you should tell that to these BS artists:

Instead, the school board met and issued a statement announcing it wouldn't host the event at Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton, "due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events."

Yeah, right.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Well, on the bright side, now they can skip the prom and go straight to the hotel

I know that's what I would do...

Seriously, hopefully these girls don't let the bigotry of the old south get them down.

Let's remember though this IS Mississippi...even further behind then the majority of the south.
That's coming from a southerner by the way

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Shark_Feeder]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join