It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
She was made to feel bad, by the school.

Her feelings aren't the issue. The school's actions VIOLATED her constitutional right to free expression.

What about Phelps.....hmmmm, so Phelps has free speech, and freedom of opinion, the girl does too......however the school doesn't? Enlighten me as to how this is right.

I'm not sure you'll understand, but I'll try. The school can express their opinion, but they cannot violate the constitutional rights of their students. Disallowing Constance to attend the prom with her date wasn't just speech or expressing an opinion, it was action. There's a difference.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I never said the aclu was pro gay but it proves my point. She was made to feel bad, by the school. What about Phelps.....hmmmm, so Phelps has free speech, and freedom of opinion, the girl does too......however the school doesn't? Enlighten me as to how this is right.

Well, I'd say that Phelps is not inviting the young lady to any of their church socials. But he isn't running a publicly funded school, either. He has his freedom of speech. I'm guessing, though, if a gay individual tried to join the congregation and was refused...then it would qualify as a violation of that person's civil rights. l'd like to see that one played out in the courts. I mean, the Church has tax-exempt status, right? Which means it is essentially supported by the public as a not-for-profit.

Either way, Phelps and his ilk are a mirror for those who deny others their rights based upon sexual orientation...it's all simply a matter of degree.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Mississippi school pays damages to lesbian teen over prom dispute

A school district in Mississippi has agreed to pay a recent high school graduate $35,000 in damages and adopt a policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, according to a statement released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Won't be the last money she makes from her "traumatic" dealings with the school. I said it before, this has more to do with money than it does with anyones rights. It also plays right into the idea of forcing homosexual teachings in school, something the left keeps getting bolder about pushing. When people look back on the fall of America, surely the ACLU will have played a large part in it.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

When people look back on the fall of America, surely the ACLU will have played a large part in it.

Funny, my thought is that when people look back on the fall of America, a lack of the ACLU will have played a large part in it. Interesting thing about the defence of individual rights, when it's left to the individual, it tends to be their own version of how rights ought to be accorded that is defended.

Generally to the exclusion of others.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The ACLU is a political money making machine, serving whichever agenda they can......they helped her rape the tax payers, and they've helped Phelps..........as long as their name is in the media and they feel relevant they'll continue their path of distruction.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The ACLU is a political money making machine, serving whichever agenda they can......they helped her rape the tax payers, and they've helped Phelps..........as long as their name is in the media and they feel relevant they'll continue their path of distruction.

Interesting that you mention Phelps...he is indeed odious, but if it becomes legal to take rights away from somebody unpopular, then civil rights become a popularity contest, controlled by those who have the power to decree who is unpopular, and who isn't. Do you really want to go there?

Frankly, I don't trust anybody that much and deep down I doubt you do either.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Mississippi school pays damages to lesbian teen over prom dispute

A school district in Mississippi has agreed to pay a recent high school graduate $35,000 in damages and adopt a policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, according to a statement released Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

www.cnn.com...
Wow, $35,000? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad she won the case, but $35,000? Then again, I'm not sure how these lawsuits work, so I guess it probably makes sense. Then again, a lady got more than that because she spilled coffee on herself, so I'm not betting on it. I'm not saying this lawsuit shouldn't have happened, just the damages are kind of overkill (but, hey I could be wrong).

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

I kind of thought the damages were low. I mean, they are called punitive damages for a reason....to punish the wrong-doer, to discourage repeat offenses and set the bar so that other schools don't make the same bigoted mistake.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
As broke as most schools are 35g's was probably punitive. I bet a teacher gets laid off or they cut hours or something else goes to pay for it, and that will hurt too.

The school needs to hurt and suffer for what they did, so they never do it again.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Constance McMillen Update: Miss. School District Must Pay $81,000 in Legal Fees

JACKSON, Miss. (CBS/AP) It would have been cheaper to just let her take her girlfriend to the prom.

The Mississippi school district that canceled its senior prom rather than allow lesbian student Constance McMillen to bring her girlfriend will now have to pay her $81,000 for legal fees incurred when McMillen sued the Itawamba School District for violating her civil rights by canceling the prom.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So now two or even three teachers get the axe and the population of students stays the same? Does that mean the quality of the school would go down as a whole? Punish every student for a single students "fight for justice"? Wow...

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by Annee

So now two or even three teachers get the axe and the population of students stays the same? Does that mean the quality of the school would go down as a whole? Punish every student for a single students "fight for justice"? Wow...

MessOnTheFED!

How sad. Exactly the first response I was expecting. Thanks for not disappointing.

The single student didn't do anything - - it was the rest of the students and their parents and school officials who created the situation of injustice.

They got what they deserved.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Mess, they brought it upon themselves. I don't feel bad, I am glad to see this judgement, it sends a message that the days of hurting our children as a teacher and authority figure are over, and if you do so you will pay for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
And the gay genda gets furthered and the rape of the education system continues.............yup a proud day for the ACLU. Ah well, I'm sre she is already pickiing out her next victim, maybe she could order some cup cakes?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

And the gay genda gets furthered and the rape of the education system continues.............yup a proud day for the ACLU. Ah well, I'm sre she is already pickiing out her next victim, maybe she could order some cup cakes?

Do your posts ever change? They're like clones.

In this case - - it does not appear to me the lesbian student was the one with an agenda.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Now that's the pot calling the kettle black................do your posts ever change?
It was wrong, just a money making scheme from the word go..................

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Sad huh? Whats sad is the fact that a whole school district worth of students is goin to suffer now because of one girls selfeshness. "its their fault"? Really? Every single one of them huh? All a bunch od gay bashin tardos huh? This counrty is going down the drain at a rapid pace and one of the prime reasons is that we cater to a single person when it ruins an entire comminuty. If it was truly that bad they could have moved. If i walked into a place where 90% of the people didnt like my lifestyle, i wouldnt try to force it down their throats i would go to a place with like minded people.

MOTF!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

It was wrong, just a money making scheme from the word go..................

Blame the victim once again...gee...if she hadn't rocked the boat, all this awful stuff wouldn't have happened to the school district. Ya think the school might have saved a bundle by not being wrong in the first place?

And just a money-making scheme? Unless you know that for a fact and you can cite that source, that statement is simply rectally sourced. Your pushback is a perfect example of why cases like this need to be pursued.

Some folks never get it, but in the end most will have to keep their bias to themselves as society becomes less willing to accommodate such ignorance.

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

If i walked into a place where 90% of the people didnt like my lifestyle, i wouldnt try to force it down their throats i would go to a place with like minded people.

Does that apply to colour as well? Where do you draw your xenophobic line in the sand?
edit on 28-10-2010 by JohnnyCanuck because: just cuz, that's why

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Well lets see here.... Im white and i know not to go into the projects at night. Does that make me xenophobic also? Just wondering where the line that i crossed was. Cause i didnt see it.

MOTF!

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join