It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You don't have a right to a prom. That's it, plain and simple. Instead of having to go through a Court case and the resulting crap from both sides in this issue and the resulting media hype, the school district just canceled the prom. A descision I happen to agree with. There is nothing stopping the students in that High School from having their own prom.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Without this student trying to force her will and beliefs on others in her community, there would be no issue.

You know... you have YET to point out how this child is trying to force her beliefs on others.

Seems more like she is "forcing" everyone to accept a reality. That being I am here, and I want to be treated fairly. Same types of things African Americans were shouting in the 50's,60's and 70's.

You claim this one student was forcing her beliefs in others... seems to me the school board is the one forcing views on their students, she wanted to show up, and not be harassed.

Please explain how she is forcing anything on anyone when it was the school who took action.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ratcals

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Stop trying to legitimize your sexually deviant ways. It ain’t natural nor appealing. Get over it.

The American Medical Association no longer recognizes homosexuality as a form a paraphelia....also please note the articles below that point out homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom.

Natgeo article on animal homosexuality
An MSNBC article
Popular Science

Not natural my a**, this clearly shows that nature already has its fair share of homosexual animals.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

I'm not ignorant. I'm very well aware this takes place in the animal kingdom. There are several theories as to why, but nobody really knows for sure.

ok, now your confusing me...you say you know homosexuality happens in nature, thereby making it by defination, natural...and then you say its not natural, and say your not ignorant.

what does that make you? Its like saying you know fire will burn you, and then saying you think fire wont burn you, and your not ignorant....this makes no sense.

ahh, I think dictionary.com can help out here:

id·i·ot   /ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled[id-ee-uht] Show IPA
–noun
1.an utterly foolish or senseless person

ok, so your not ignorant, your just an idiot (by definition)...unless you can recify this in some other way...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Without this student trying to force her will and beliefs on others in her community, there would be no issue.

You know... you have YET to point out how this child is trying to force her beliefs on others.

Or you have YET failed to understand what I've posted several times.

Seems more like she is "forcing" everyone to accept a reality. That being I am here, and I want to be treated fairly. Same types of things African Americans were shouting in the 50's,60's and 70's.

You've countered your own argument by admitting that she is "forcing" people to accept a reality - her reality, not necessarily other people's in her community.

You claim this one student was forcing her beliefs in others... seems to me the school board is the one forcing views on their students, she wanted to show up, and not be harassed.

Not likely. A girl showing up dressed as a man with another woman as a date would probably not have generated a fun time for her, her "date" or others there. but she knew that going in. Again, forcing her will on others.

Please explain how she is forcing anything on anyone when it was the school who took action.

SHE took the first action. What the school board did was a reaction. SHE initiated the controversy, forcing everyone else to react.

Couldn't be more clear.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Just because animals do it too doesn't make it right.

But it does make it Natural. The original statement of homosexuality is not being natural is obviously flawed.

Funny thing the official definition of Unholy is A crime against nature. Clearly homosexuality is no crime in the natural world.

Your referenced articles basicall conclude homosexual behaviour in the animal kingdom has "evolutionary benfits." In the animal kingdom it somewhat makes sense. Where is the evolutionary benefit in practicising homosexuality in the human species other than to keep them out of the gene pool.

Just because we don't understand the purpose of something doesn't mean it is wrong or that it doesn't exist...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
ok, now your confusing me...you say you know homosexuality happens in nature, thereby making it by defination, natural...and then you say its not natural, and say your not ignorant.

what does that make you? Its like saying you know fire will burn you, and then saying you think fire wont burn you, and your not ignorant....this makes no sense.

–noun

ok, so your not ignorant, your just an idiot (by definition)...unless you can recify this in some other way...

I am not going to verbally spar with you. Perhaps 'natural' was not the best choice of words. I will concede that. However, based on your immediate attempt to belittle me via name calling I can only assume you have your own security issues. Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Come on!

Can't you do better than calling someone an idiot simply because you can't make them agree with you?

Like I've said before, name calling is the surest sign that you've lost your argument.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

They cancelled prom...

Everybody head for the hills!! Retreat to your bunkers!! Grab your bug out bags!! Looks like THE S finally HTF!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You've countered your own argument by admitting that she is "forcing" people to accept a reality - her reality, not necessarily other people's in her community.

Fighting for your rights and equal representation under the law is not forcing your views on others. It's fighting for your own voice in this world.

And the Reality is this young woman DOES exist and deserves to be treated the same as all other students.

Reality doesn't care what you think of it, it persists regardless.

This girl is no more "forcing" her beliefs on others than desegregation was forcing white people to "mingle" with the "colored folk".

You can ignore them if you want, but the law generally takes a dim view of trying to force a certain group away from school or public functions.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Americans need to chill out and stop being so uptight about such matters.

In my eyes this kind of behaivour from the school is petty and embarrassing and reflects back on American society as a whole.

I've lost count of the number of stories i've read when it comes to homosexuality and it's seeming repulsiveness to American society.

I'm not trying to brand all Americans as having something against homosexuals, but certainly many seem to have a major problem with it.

Was this poor girl wanting to go to the prom with her girlfriend in a tuxedo such an inconvenience to the school? Did it offend someone's sensibilities so much that they felt the only option was to cancel the entire prom and ruin it not just for this girl, but for the rest of the students?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Americans need to chill out and stop being so uptight about such matters.

In my eyes this kind of behaivour from the school is petty and embarrassing and reflects back on American society as a whole.

I've lost count of the number of stories i've read when it comes to homosexuality and it's seeming repulsiveness to American society.

I'm not trying to brand all Americans as having something against homosexuals, but certainly many seem to have a major problem with it.

Was this poor girl wanting to go to the prom with her girlfriend in a tuxedo such an inconvenience to the school? Did it offend someone's sensibilities so much that they felt the only option was to cancel the entire prom and ruin it not just for this girl, but for the rest of the students?

Just for the record AND despite my earlier comments I agree. Cancelling the prom was a mistake. The girls should have been allowed to attend just like everyone else.

Homosexuality is becoming more prevalent in our society and this is something we just have to live with. I DON'T have to accept it though. I don't need a homosexual couple on all of my favorite television shows either.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

Come on!

Can't you do better than calling someone an idiot simply because you can't make them agree with you?

Like I've said before, name calling is the surest sign that you've lost your argument.

When a comment is thoughtless, then call it thoughtless. The comment he made, made no sense, therefore it was senseless...and the definition of a person whom is without sense is in fact a idiot.

But I agree it was a bit below the belt. could have simply called it senseless as that is all that is needed. Guess I am feeling grumpy today.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I saw in the article that McMillen said she feared she would be thrown out of the prom because "we do live in the Bible Belt." What does that have to do with not being allowed to have a prom? What does the whole issue have to do with having a prom?

Who cares about what the students do at their prom? Let them have it for the love of Pete. By singling them out and making it an issue they are in fact advancing a negative opinion of the Bible Belt. Which could have been the whole reason for the issue being raised to begin with.

Those who are opposed to the lesbian couple should see this as an opportunity to display what they believe is the correct pairing of a male and female. Let the lesbian couples come and see what they are missing. If nothing else, being in the Bible Belt, they could pray before the prom that their "correct" behavior would have an influence on those they believe are behaving wrongly.

Instead they turned it into another "gay agenda" manifesto. Why bring attention to something that shouldn't really matter to anyone? I didn't have a lesbian couple at my prom. Back then, I more than likely would have encouraged it. Which makes me wonder if it is really an issue with the kids or the school staff.

Someone dropped the ball and made everyone miserable in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

–noun

I am not going to verbally spar with you. Perhaps 'natural' was not the best choice of words. I will concede that. However, based on your immediate attempt to belittle me via name calling I can only assume you have your own security issues. Enjoy.

I have no security issues, just a profound resentment for people whom state illogical things on purpose.

in saying that, I crossed the line and I apologise for that.

You are not a idiot. Your statement may have been but you as a person are not.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Apology accepted and if you read all of that post I conceded that 'natural' may not have been the best choice of words.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Lesbian in a tuxedo? Never seen that yet.

It's the 1930s al over again.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

What do you mean by saying you don't have to accept it?

That would be like me in the late 1960s early 1970s saying blacks were getting more rights and we should get used to it, although i don't have to accept it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It means, that as an individual, I have the right to accept or not accept something. I choose not to accept this particular direction society is going.

accept- verb (used with object)
1.to take or receive (something offered); receive with approval or favor:
2.to agree or consent to; accede to:

So no, I don't have to accept/like it.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by ratcals]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

This is a democracy where the majority is supposed to rule. The rights of many don't get trumped by the rights of one.

And what's wrong with a private prom anyway? In these economic times, saving the school the cost of putting it on would be a good thing.

WOW....You are confused about the nature of Democracy and Individual rights.

Democracy DOES NOT equal MOB RULE.

Quite the contrary.

Democracy is defined in Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary as:

Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them either directly or through their elected agents;... a state of society characterized by nominal equality of rights and privileges.

majority rule can not be the only expression of "supreme power" in a democracy......... the majority would too easily tyrannize the minority.

Thus, while it is clear that democracy must guarantee the expression of the popular will through majority rule, it is equally clear that it must guarantee that the majority will not abuse use its power to violate the basic and inalienable rights of the minority.

Minority Rights I: Individual Rights vs. Majority Tyranny

Democracy therefore requires minority rights equally as it does majority rule.

Indeed, as democracy is conceived today, the minority's rights must be protected no matter how singular or alienated that minority is from the majority society; otherwise, the majority's rights lose their meaning.

In the United States, basic individual liberties are protected through the Bill of Rights.

www.democracyweb.org...

Plus, no one says these two girls can't also have their own private prom - for two.

Wow it's like travelling back in time to the segregted south....

"They have their own drinking fountains! Why are they complaining!!!"

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Wow it's like travelling back in time to the segregted south....

"They have their own drinking fountains! Why are they complaining!!!"

Another example of a liberal actually playing (initiating in this thread) the "race card".

Point made.

Putting what I said back in context ...

I don't go out of my way to go and do something that would make me or others around me uncomfortable. Especially not just to make a point. I would feel like a lot of people had spent time, effort, and money and so it would be totally selfish of me to possibly ruin that for the others just so I could make my point.

But, hey, that's just me ...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join