It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Rather than cancelling prom night. Hint: Why is is prom night done at night. Can you just not get them to improve educational standards as teaching occurs in the daytime (hint hint) and is clearly your concern. I would aslo ask that you make comment about the scandalous state of scince education and maths in American schools.

T

I most defiantly will make a comment about the math and science being horrible... That’s why I pony up and send my kids to private school.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Thank you for this post.

You said it, these girls are brave.

That is a positive strength.

I am shocked that some posters think the girls should have kept their "pie holes" (that phrase when directed to a woman is double demeaning) "shut", but then harp on advocating peace or deny Ignorance.

Eye opening thread for many, I have seen this before. I have LIVED it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

oh, no doubt the issue is just that...homophobia that is. just clarifying that the dress code should be seen by all as perfectly reasonable if only to preserve the prom as being the prom...else its just a dance like any other dance.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Who said pie holes????? Are you maiking things up? No one was trying to degrade woman get off your feminist kick... She wanted to wear a tux to prom, she was trying to make a statement... She could have went around the rules and dressed in a womans buisness attire, and her and her girlfirend showed up with a group of friends.... Your digging into this and making a mountain out of a mole.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
reply to post by Dr Love

Sure they could, but I don't think this is about a prom, this is about a antiquated, discriminatory policy implemented by the county school board.

Thanks for proving my earlier points.

For this girl it was all about challenging the school board.

But for everyone else in the school it was just about going to the prom. Something the kids look forward to and work on for months. Too bad if all that goes down the drain just so 1 student can make their point.

That proves that she was selfish enough to put her rights and feelings above everyone else.

Selfish? How do arrive at this?

The child should never had to have been PLACED in the position she was in, and it is not her fault the adults controlling the situation who CREATED the situation, are ignorant knuckledragging homophobes who would rather cancel prom than change discriminating and illegal policies that crush human rights.

How are the girls being selfish?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Homophobia. Now there’s a word I can’t stand. By the very definition it implies an irrational fear of homosexuals. I don’t fear them, I just have strong disgust for their way of life. Stop trying to legitimize your sexually deviant ways. It ain’t natural nor appealing. Get over it.

link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

oh, no doubt the issue is just that...homophobia that is. just clarifying that the dress code should be seen by all as perfectly reasonable if only to preserve the prom as being the prom...else its just a dance like any other dance.

I really doubt they have a school dress code that requires women to wear dresses...if so then I say ignore it!. Damn if its prom OR school, unless I am exposing myself I will wear what I choose.

Here is TN the local schools use what could be called a "dress code" but its very vague and actually plays out very well.

link   
Its ridiculous! School board canceling prom just because the girl wants to take her girlfriend to prom. Prom is more than just a dance; it only happens twice for those who are juniors and seniors. Its like discrimination and that is truly wrong. I really don't understand the problem. There wouldn't be such a big controversy if the school would just allow it. If someone does not agree with the sexual orientations of others then they can simply not go or just get over it. There are people out in the world who are like that and its just ridiculous to cancel such an event because of the sexual orientation of another. And if this is a problem because of religion preferences, that just makes it worse. Something should not be based on something like that.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Originally posted by Tiger5
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Rather than cancelling prom night. Hint: Why is is prom night done at night. Can you just not get them to improve educational standards as teaching occurs in the daytime (hint hint) and is clearly your concern. I would aslo ask that you make comment about the scandalous state of scince education and maths in American schools.

T

I most defiantly will make a comment about the math and science being horrible... That’s why I pony up and send my kids to private school.

Too bad even home schooled and private school kids rarely get solid learning done. They're taught math rather stupidly,the science content is never above rudimentary bull# that you'll learn isn't entirely true in college, they teach 5 paragraph format bull# writing style that only hurts you in colllege, i'm not even going to touch history, and little to no philosophical content exists either.

But don't mind my dissenting opinion, I've just lived through this recently and have rather solid credentials as the basis of my statements.

High school is pointless, the only goal is to get into college. High school is more about societal conditioning.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Who said pie holes????? Are you maiking things up? No one was trying to degrade woman get off your feminist kick... She wanted to wear a tux to prom, she was trying to make a statement... She could have went around the rules and dressed in a womans buisness attire, and her and her girlfirend showed up with a group of friends.... Your digging into this and making a mountain out of a mole.

Well, Dr Love one of our forum moderators said this girl should have kept her pie hole shut in regard to this situation. I took offense at this, and responded accordingly. I am not making it up, nor am I being feminist, I am surprised a forum moderator used this terminology in this thread on this topic, and still am to be honest.

And I am discussing a thread topic about what I feel is civil rights violations, and in my opinion, that IS a mountain not a molehill.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

There were noi civil Rights violated..... They canceled the prom..... How were her civil Rights violeted PLEASE SHOW ME.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ratcals
Stop trying to legitimize your sexually deviant ways. It ain’t natural nor appealing. Get over it.

The American Medical Association no longer recognizes homosexuality as a form a paraphelia....also please note the articles below that point out homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom.

Natgeo article on animal homosexuality
An MSNBC article
Popular Science

Not natural my a**, this clearly shows that nature already has its fair share of homosexual animals.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
reply to post by Dr Love

Sure they could, but I don't think this is about a prom, this is about a antiquated, discriminatory policy implemented by the county school board.

Thanks for proving my earlier points.

For this girl it was all about challenging the school board.

But for everyone else in the school it was just about going to the prom. Something the kids look forward to and work on for months. Too bad if all that goes down the drain just so 1 student can make their point.

That proves that she was selfish enough to put her rights and feelings above everyone else.

Selfish? How do arrive at this?

definition of selfish

1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

The definition above is quite clear. Again, the rest of her fellow students be damned, this girl was going to make her point.

The child should never had to have been PLACED in the position she was in, and it is not her fault the adults controlling the situation who CREATED the situation, are ignorant knuckledragging homophobes who would rather cancel prom than change discriminating and illegal policies that crush human rights.

How are the girls being selfish?

SHE knew the rules and likely outcome of her actions, so SHE created the situation. The only pass I can give her is if it turns out that she is being used as a pawn by other adults or the ACLU.

Oh, and of course you'd have to start labeling anyone that disagrees with you as a "homophobe". Resorting to name calling is the surest sign that you have lost your argument.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You are a disgrace and a shame to the educational community, and people like you should never be allowed to work with children, ever.

To those of you writing letters:

In a debate, the argument is weakened by personal attack. No matter how strong your message, one personal attack can negate all you say before and after. The respectability of your statement will be in question.

This is true in all differences of opinion. It's especially helpful in arguments with your spouse.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin

You are a disgrace and a shame to the educational community, and people like you should never be allowed to work with children, ever.

In a debate, the argument is weakened by personal attack. No matter how strong your message, one personal attack can negate all you say before and after. The respectability of your statement will be in question.

This is true in all differences of opinion. It's especially helpful in arguments with your spouse.

I did not write her to debate her. I wrote her to tell her how I feel about her decision, and what I think of scum like her.

It is called a social consequence of her actions. This is already on MSM news outlets, thus this woman opened herself up to public opinion. Thats all I am trying to do with my email.

In my opinion, she is a disgraceful woman who displayed hate filled actions towards a student of hers for no reason other than said student is gay.

Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Homophobe is not a name calling technique, it is a label for the school's actions. Big difference. I also called them knuckledraggers, THAT is shameless namecalling.

And I still disagree. The student did not cause the situation, she was a victim of circumstances set in place by fear mongers in the middle of the Bible Belt. Her only wrong doing so to speak was to be born in the Bible Belt.

Sad.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

Homophobe is not a name calling technique, it is a label for the school's actions. Big difference. I also called them knuckledraggers, THAT is shameless namecalling.

And I still disagree. The student did not cause the situation, she was a victim of circumstances set in place by fear mongers in the middle of the Bible Belt. Her only wrong doing so to speak was to be born in the Bible Belt.

Sad.

Sad that now you've also started calling people "fear mongers" because they don't agree with you. And "homophobe" is a label like "racist" that some people try to call others simply because they disagree. Try using logic instead to further your arguments and/or agenda.

Seems I was able to convince you on the selfishness issue, which is a step in the right direction.

Last, the school board's rules created that environment that could unfortunately allow this student to CAUSE this issue. Without this student trying to force her will and beliefs on others in her community, there would be no issue.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Originally posted by ratcals
Stop trying to legitimize your sexually deviant ways. It ain’t natural nor appealing. Get over it.

The American Medical Association no longer recognizes homosexuality as a form a paraphelia....also please note the articles below that point out homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom.

Natgeo article on animal homosexuality
An MSNBC article
Popular Science

Not natural my a**, this clearly shows that nature already has its fair share of homosexual animals.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

I'm not ignorant. I'm very well aware this takes place in the animal kingdom. There are several theories as to why, but nobody really knows for sure.

Just because animals do it too doesn't make it right. Your referenced articles basicall conclude homosexual behaviour in the animal kingdom has "evolutionary benfits." In the animal kingdom it somewhat makes sense. Where is the evolutionary benefit in practicising homosexuality in the human species other than to keep them out of the gene pool.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211 Without this student trying to force her will and beliefs on others in her community, there would be no issue.

All she wanted to do was attend prom. Yet the school board forced their will upon her and said we dont want you to attend prom so we are canceling prom.

She did not say everyone else has to be gay. All she wanted to do was go to Prom like the rest of the students.

I cant see how wanting to enjoy the same perks of school as my fellow students is forcing my will on them.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin

I did not write her to debate her. I wrote her to tell her how I feel about her decision, and what I think of scum like her.

It is called a social consequence of her actions. This is already on MSM news outlets, thus this woman opened herself up to public opinion. Thats all I am trying to do with my email.

In my opinion, she is a disgraceful woman who displayed hate filled actions towards a student of hers for no reason other than said student is gay.

Disgusting.

So...you were venting.

My apologies. I thought that you were trying to get the recipient of your letter to understand why you think she was wrong in canceling the prom.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by Aislin]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join