It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Sure they could, but I don't think this is about a prom, this is about a antiquated, discriminatory policy implemented by the county school board.

It just needed to be highlighted, which it has now. If they just went to the prom silent, and enjoyed the dance, would we know about the policy? I don't think so.

So the student decided to take a stand, good for her.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

This girl does not wear dresses in her real life, but now she is being told wear one or forget her prom, bring a boy, or forget her prom. Do you not see how unfair that is?

No. I generally avoid having to go someplace that tries to make me do something that is not me. Why? Simply because it isn't much fun.

You will not be able to convince me that if she had been allowed to go as she wanted it would have been a fun time with all the negative attention she would have garnered.

No, IMO this was all orchestrated in order to make a point of challenging the school district's rules, and the prom and everyone else be damned.

Can you imagine being told to wear a dress, even though this is not who you are?

Men do it all the time when confronted with having to go formal to an event, or not at all. Many just don't go ...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

This girl does not wear dresses in her real life, but now she is being told wear one or forget her prom, bring a boy, or forget her prom. Do you not see how unfair that is?

Can you imagine being told to wear a dress, even though this is not who you are? Hey, she wanted to dress up, but she didn't want wear a dress. And your sneaky idea to "go with your all your girlfriends and then do what you want when you get to the prom" really shows that you are very intolerant of people that are not hetero. She is the Rosa Parks of Mississippi Prom night, good for her.

Your goofy, she is no Rosa Parks, She is a rebel kid trying to rock the boat, because she does not like a school rule... Hell there were plenty of school rules that I went around because I couldn’t go through them... I don’t like to wear ties and Suits but my damn wife makes me put them n from time to time.... Hell My sister is the most anti-dress person in the world, but she managed to get her butt into one for prom...

Now as far as you saying I am intolerant to Gays you’re a liar... A simple research of things I have said here isn’t hard to find, that shows I support anyone who wants to suffer in a marriage... And If to dudes want to sword fight in their own homes.. Do it....

This kid was a rebel she could have went around the rules, instead she CHOOSE to go through them, and It backfired.... We all have to do # we don’t want to in life, there no need to make a case out of it, suck it up take your lumps and move on it will make you a better person.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

What's more admirable and courageous, making a statement against an antiquated rule, which by all appearances was easily gotten around and unnecessary, or ruining the prom for everybody?

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
reply to post by Dr Love

Sure they could, but I don't think this is about a prom, this is about a antiquated, discriminatory policy implemented by the county school board.

Thanks for proving my earlier points.

For this girl it was all about challenging the school board.

But for everyone else in the school it was just about going to the prom. Something the kids look forward to and work on for months. Too bad if all that goes down the drain just so 1 student can make their point.

That proves that she was selfish enough to put her rights and feelings above everyone else.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

That proves that she was selfish enough to put her rights and feelings above everyone else.

I fail to see this, in a Republic the rights of and individual cannot be trampled or ignored simply because the majority doesn't like it, or finds the individuals behavior uncomfortable.

The "offending" student is taking away the rights of others how now?

If I were the parents of the children, I would OWN that school board.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Opposite view here, when the antiquated policy was highlighted and exposed, the school board had the opportunity to review their policy and bring it up to date. Heck, this policy could have been on the books for decades.

Given the chance to see how the policy is out of date, do they implement a change in that policy?

No. They chose rather to ruin the student's prom by canceling it altogether.

So you blame the girl, I blame the school board. agree to disagree?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by hotbakedtater

These KIDS are in HIGH SCHOOL, they are there to learn not dance.... When they graduate they can rock the boat elsewhere.

You're aware your argument has no credibility considering the fact that public schools don't actually teach anything, right?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Thanks I will email the school with my support for their ruling the hopes that all schools cancel Prom, which really has no bearing on learning.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Rather than cancelling prom night. Hint: Why is is prom night done at night. Can you just not get them to improve educational standards as teaching occurs in the daytime (hint hint) and is clearly your concern. I would aslo ask that you make comment about the scandalous state of scince education and maths in American schools.

T

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheDrama
So you blame the girl, I blame the school board. agree to disagree?

"Blame" is a strong word, but if that's what I'm doing, I guess I would blame her for not using common sense. But yes, I can see your point.

She really could've saved the drama though.

Peace

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Why not just show up to the prom without announcing it to the world? Why does one HAVE to wear a tuxedo? Just wear a dress and keep your piehole shut. Girls show up together all the time, even in my day.

Peace

OMG. Really? From a forum moderator, we have another misogynistic statement implying women should keep their pie holes (itself a double entendre derogatory phrase directed at women) shut, and go with the status quo.

You advocate silence, in the face of status quo, when status quo means these poor girls have to bear the brunt of ignorant prejudice and hatred?

WOW.

I honestly am surprised, and would have thought you would have put this statement at the least in that box that says you are posting as a poster not moderator.

Where is the peace you sign off on? Only present when women are silent?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Frankly, things started going downhill the day they started letting them colored folk start drinking from the same fountain...why make such a fuss about it, just drink from the colored fountain!

(btw, sarcasm).

my true feelings....the prom should be a all inclusive environment with the only stipulation is to dress formal. I dont mind the lesbians going, but the tux thing I do have issue with. Tux's are male attire. If she wanted to go formally, then there are plenty of woman's suits out there...even with pants. a tux = a mans thing. This is a cultural consideration, not a gender bias (no more than men shouldn't go to a prom dressed in death metal t-shirts and hot pink leather shorts).

So, is the issue here that lesbians are going, or that one is trying to corrupt the dress "code". If its a issue with the lesbians, then they are in the wrong, if its a issue with the tux, then they, in my mind, are in the right.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

These KIDS are in HIGH SCHOOL, they are there to learn not dance.... When they graduate they can rock the boat elsewhere.

Oh for pete's sake.

Then all the jocks, band geeks and theater kids are boat rockers, because none of that has anything to do with education. According to your standards that is.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

No, I would've said that to a homosexual male wanting to wear a dress to the prom and wanting to bring a male date as well. That door swings both ways, no sexism involved or double whatevers.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

The school district could have as well, they are the ones making a stink about 1 student's choices.

Seeing as the school board has all the power and authority in this situation, the responsibility lies entirely with the school...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This clearly sparks a chord for many.

For those that baically said she should have just have kept her mouth shut and stayed home or break the rules quietly, you are only helping to keep a very old and outdated rule stand, one that IS discriminatory.

But I know you will just keep arguing that she is the bad guy for actually taking a stand on something important to her and so many others across the nation. How dare she come out and voice an old and outdated rule, how dare she! And like it or not, Prom is part of High School, and is something many students look forward to and part of human socialization.

No more to say here. I can see there are those that will find every arguement to portray this young girl as the villain. Very sad, she is a kid and IMO being quite brave and a voice to so many.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

The school district could have as well, they are the ones making a stink about 1 student's choices.

Seeing as the school board has all the power and authority in this situation, the responsibility lies entirely with the school...

Forget that. How DARE she demand her human rights and civil rights by speaking out about this and trying to do this! What a horrible little ungrateful brat for doing so!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There is no doubt in my mind that the issue is 110 percent homophobia. Like the one poor girl said, they live in the bible belt. I grew up in one too, and unless you have fought ALONE on a personal civil rights violation (mine usually being religious based discrimination and blatant rule law breaking in the name of the bible), you have NO IDEA how much inner streng And th you will need to remain strong.

Sorry its hard to explain, man.

All I can say to these two girls is this experience WILL make you STRONGER (stronger because they HAVE to already be strong girls).Because of strong souls who stand up in the face of opposition, change WILL happen, one day.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join