It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile that allows bosses to snoop on staff developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Mobile that allows bosses to snoop on staff developed

news.bbc.co.uk

Researchers have produced a mobile phone that could be a boon for prying bosses wanting to keep tabs on the movements of their staff.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Why stop there?
This technology could be perverted for use by the police, security agencies, IRS or any other Government body that wants to keep tracks on individuals.

This kind of development is frightening to say the least. If I was given one at work, it would stay in the draw at my desk.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
i particularly love this line

"But this is not about curtailing employees' rights to privacy. We'd rather like to think our creation more of a caring, mothering system rather than a Big Brother approach to watching over citizens."

so there you have it, your boss is tracking your every single movement so he can coddle and pamper you like a mother, apparently.

people worry so much about RFID yet most ignore the deeply unsettling possibilities presented by the mobile phone.

[edit on 11/3/10 by pieman]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I totally agree with you on that. The mobile phone can be used to pinpoint your location within a few feet, if not by the Government communications centres then by the Network Operators.

Yes, there is RFID but these babies, that everone loves to have, can track your ass anywhere.

[edit on 11/3/2010 by TheLoneArcher]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
can track your ass anywhere.

i wish that was as bad as it is. phones have worried me for quite some time, there have been a number of reports of them being used for surveillance.

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.

The technique is called a "roving bug," and was approved by top U.S. Department of Justice officials for use against members of a New York organized crime family who were wary of conventional surveillance techniques such as tailing a suspect or wiretapping him.......

Kaplan's opinion said that the eavesdropping technique "functioned whether the phone was powered on or off."
source

most phones also have a camera, i assume they can be remotely opperated in a similar manner.

this just seems to be something else to add to the list. the development in technology from KDDI doesn't seem to use new hardware, it uses software that analyses the movement of the accelerometers which are already present in phones.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Interesting line, this fat rats are becoming so empowered that they do not need to hide their intentions anymore.

The irony.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There is also an ID card that transmits audio and location details to 'base' and then relayed directly to the police. The idea was that if the holder encountered a dangerous situation where he or she was at risk of physical injury or abduction, a 'panic' button could be activated without any other person present being aware.

I was given one of these at work in 2007. I asked if the card could be used to track exact whereabouts and movements when the panic button had not been activated. I was adviced that the device had no GPRS capability. I cannot remember what this device was called.

Not being a tech head, I chose to go with my spontaneous scepticism and threw the thing in the draw. And continued to rely on the personal skills I had always previously relied upon to keep me out of trouble!

[edit on 11/3/2010 by teapot]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

That is very interesting, sound like our nations has been propping up our future with completely dependency on "authority figures"

Again so much irony.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It is now getting to the point that, no matter what you do, the government can track you. Your internet browsing can be monitored, emails, land line phone calls, mobile phone calls, bank, credit card, ATM traffic. You are monitored by CCTV. Monitored at ferry and airports, on the motorway. You garbage can be searched; you can be searched on the street.

Your life is not your own and you are paying for all this with your tax money. We are actually buying ourselves into a totalitarian society.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
We are actually buying ourselves into a totalitarian society.

9/11

terrorists

9 / 1 1

do you want the bad guys to win!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

lol very good. I like a healthy dose of sarcasm. Helps lighten the mood.

Yes I completely forgot that terrorists are weighting around every corner, under every bed and behind every streetlamp, waiting for their moment to strike a blow in anger over my "freedoms".

If this was about freedoms I'd say the terrorists are winning.

Cheers

top topics

join