It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LEOs and respect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
One of the opportunities here is to introduce talking points.

I've seen where police have commented on the negative impressions that many have about them. They question why this is so.

The replies were varied. Some issued strong support for LEOs and others denigrated the work of this group.

It strikes me that our personal stake in the actions of LEOs and our experiences flavor this discussion TOO much. I am not young. My experience with LEOs is that everyone whom I became friendly with or that was a relative abused his position to benefit themselves. Most in modest ways but without a single exception. I don't care that much about the cop who finds a bike and gives it to his kid or ends up being a commodore of a marina.

I do care about whether they will feather their nest with our scalps when this system crumbles. I care about the private police forces, the modern day Pinkertons, that may supplement and perhaps control the public forces. I care about the near boundless amount of controlling legislation that has been passed that they have pledged to enforce.

The issue is how much control should be given to people who support a political system that promotes active deceptions? How many of the 'Finest' actually believe in this system? Who will they side with in the future?

Who have they always sided with?

This isn't a discussion thread for "Are cops all nasty or nice?"

It's recognizing they always side with their paychecks. It doesn't make them less moral then me. It does make them no better than me and I think that should scare you into wanting better controls than having politicians working the levers.

These guys believe in chains of command. Chains. Savor the imagery. They are willing to put links around your ankles and wrists at whose behest? For infracting upon the laws imposed by the elite, just or unjust, you will be summarily arrested.

Since they have always taken orders and those orders come down the echelons, who do these guys represent? The fifty million tokers or the fanatic fun killers. The 9/11 truthers or the commission. Evolutionists or the god-bearded fringe? How many banksters have they arrested? How many Wall street liars? How many Swiss swindlers? How many alphabet agency assassins and drug smugglers?

I understand that the masses can become unwieldy to control and you may need a lot of cops on Friday night. What are they doing with those police powers during the week? Ignoring the really BIG crimes I suspect. The crimes that have impoverished our nation, caused us to go to war or having allowed a failed election process to persist.

Anyway, who are these guys who seek our support? Why should we? Bring us reasons to consider that request. This stretch of interface space is populated by internet self-styled Missourians and we want to be shown why. Your words are only that. Tell us why we should TRUST organizations which claim to have no say in what they do.

Quit telling me about Law Enforcement Officers. Tell me of human beings that are working to correct a slavish devotion to bogus laws, regulations and rules.

Then we can talk of respect other than the one generated by our fear of you.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Great post but you're saying something quite ludicrous: our personal experiences flavour this discussion too much? How else would people form opinions, if not by personal experience? The only other options are apathy or word of mouth (second hand 'knowledge').

You and many people have only negative experiences with police. Then theres people like me who havent had any negative ones and a ton of positive ones. Its like that old bias perception theory. Two people read a article and both say 'its biased against me'. Neither side believes the other because of their personal experiences.

One thing is you're ironically subconsciously thinking police are supermen. They are people. So why dont you get pissed off at the Mcdonalds employee peddling garbage as food, the miner for raping the planet, the countless factory labourers whose workplace pollutes daily...?

You dont because it doesnt directly instantly affect you. But its the same principle.

You dont seem to want to believe either there is lot of police who have their own conscience, families, abhor violence, question 9-11 or generally ARE conspiracy theorists, again, they are just people with a uniform.

And what do you expect them to do? Is a single officer go up to a corporation and somehow arrest... a company? What when the wealthy corrupt business man hires people to cover his tracks. The only way it could work if you had hundreds of unified police storming wall street and all supporting each other to arrest the people stealing tax payer money - I would love to see it but sometimes theres not evidence enough to arrest the 'decent businessman'. Their job is to uphold the law and arrest those they have hard evidence broke it. Their job is not to sentence, thats the judge. Hell a ton of guilty people that get arrested get off free with out punishment, and people blame the police for some reason not the judge. Hell you could just as easily blame the president. He should be doing more to stop corruption but instead he gives private companies your money.

I think you answered something very important -

I care about the private police forces, the modern day Pinkertons, that may supplement and perhaps control the public forces.

It is these private military corporations I am afraid of. They are often ex-military who could not re adjust to society, OFTEN from foreign wartorn countries. The PMCs like Xe (Blackwater), theyll be busting in your door, and the beat cops probably be their first victims.

I agree, the system is corrupt, but so is the entire capitalist system, its all made for exploitation. But since its not changing any time soon you can only work it to the best of your ability. I would suggest if you want something change you do it your self. Go become a police officer and set an example, BE the police you want there to be, maybe others will follow and society will be better...

Or you can just say cops = pigs and get way more stars...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Study, read.

keywords:

"FM 21-150"
"21 techniques"

And when the shooting starts, take careful aim.

new topics

join