It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to the Site Owners... From one who resides in the community you have built

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Some corrections to the history have been mentioned already but, in a nutshell:
Simon started the site, in the UK, as a means of discussing alternative topics.

The site has grown, massively, over the years, thanks not just to the great VOLUNTEER staff that oversee the members, not just to the amazing layout and design as managed by SO, not just the incredible, awesome, charismatic, handsome, dashing, did I say handsome financial wizardy of the CFO.

No, this site is where it is today for three reasons and three reasons alone.

Reason 1. Simon. Simon started it. Simon set it up. Simon oversaw the site and the topics and, when it got to be too much to handle, Simon brought in help. The help he brought in came from the pool of active members.

Reason 2. The other two amigos. Bill and Mark helped simon take the site to new levels. The site grew under the care of the three amigos.

Reason 3. The members. Without the members, we'd have no posts. Without the members, we'd have no staff. The members, (simon, mark and bill are all members too) provide content. They spread the word. They mold and shape the things we talk about. The members teach each other all the time. Without the members, I'd never know what to do when the world comes to an end. (not that it matters, if it ends, who wants to be around?).

You guys provide the content and you guys are the community. We, the staff, are a part of the community so, pat yourselves on the back.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yes, I totally agree with the OP.

I remember when I first began lurking this site as a complete sheoplish American Idol watcher. I got got hooked and was awoken. In the beginning I was actually having anxiety attacks taking in all this new conspiracy information that I was never exposed to before.

Been flamed, flamed others, been an idiot and also had some good conversations. The intellegence of the members is astounding and there is no other place on the net like this.

I'm taking my time in exerting myself to post original material. I'm starting to feel comfortable after a year + joining. Being partially disabled free's up a good bit of my time and I read ATS posts incessantly.

You rock ATS!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thank YOURSELVES... Pats on the back all around. Especially to the STAFF (they are some of the best contributors around, that's partly why they are staffers now
).

It's the contributions of excellent content that created the tidal wave of popularity.

Yes, we work hard at making sure this great content gets all the attention we can get it, but in the end it's YOU.

I have to agree that the jkrog thread truly shows what this community is made of. It reinvigorated my enthusiasm greatly.

For the record, the site was set up as a resource (Simon was intrigued with secret military stuff), then the forum came to be and then it went nuts.

Simon, Bill and I had to make a decision as to whether it would continue to fly or crash. The traffic was overwhelming the servers we had and it was serious money for the upgrades.

At that point it had to become a business or die.

mark...

[edit on 3-11-2010 by Springer]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I agree Jaxon, well said my friend.

I do have a question however, perhaps this all occured before my time, but where is Simon?

I have not had the opportunity of seeing him in a forum or on recent topics since I joined. It would be interesting to be able to read some of the things that the original ATS member posted.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I too am thankful to the site owners for providing such a wonder place to spend time in, a place to learn, and a place to teach. Much more entertaining that watching TV, and one can learn about most any topic in here, no matter what it may be. The site owners do have to make a living, I mean, look at the site! A full time job if I ever saw one. The best part is the rather large audience, how many members now?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

My apologies for not being current on my ATS history... I have only been around for the last year and a half... I just wanted to give you guys the Kudos you deserve for the work and effort you put into this community. In the last week I have really started to notice just what a community it is. It's just a pity that it took the loss of one of our own to show us that we truly are a community, and not just a collection of individuals...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am with you. I love this place and I can't imagine another one that would make me feel more normal. And I need that. I love this place. So thank you.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
*Tears..Because Iam just so happy to be a member here.
Friends, family..Home..ATS is all that and more to me.
This is where I start and end my day.
I come here to smile, I come here to learn..I come here to read and share.
I come here to interact with the best group of people from all over the world that I never would have had the chance to without this site.
And for many here..it doesn't stop at ATS...you have become a part of other aspects of my life as well...with no regrets here.
I LUV MY ONLINE FRIENDS!!!
and as far as ATS goes..I'm a lifer..

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am new but very thankful of what ATS was and has become. Not only is there a great community here but there is a lot more. The wealth of knowledge to be found if you look hard enough, and the opportunity to share this knowledge around the world is amazing to say the least. People can come here and voice their thoughts without the chance of being humiliated. Yeah I know we can all have some pretty crazy theories and such but what better place to discuss them...Thank you Springer and all of the ATS staff

Amazing Breaking News Source - Nowadays faster than most news stations..and a lot broader topic range.

Amazing Foreign News Source - Self explanatory.

Wealth of Knowledge - In some cases better than a library because there are things covered here you will never find anywhere else.

A Community That Can Learn From Each Other - It is amazing.

Thanks again

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Well said, I don't post alot here, but this is certainly on the top of my favorites list, and I visit every day, multiple times a day.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I will be John Galt. I will buy the land in Colorado and one by one each of you can join me in the town I build in honor of this site called ATS ville

Why, because the ATS is my baby doll.

Actually she's Simon's baby doll

Simon I would never try to take her from you. I was being metaphorical

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I remember when I first stumbled upon ATS. From the very first page I was in awe.
I couldn't believe how one site could hold so many fascinating subjects. Sure there are similar sites, but nothing compares to the quality of information and members that we have here.

Made my 2nd year anniversary!
I live here.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I never saw why some people were against the site making money. I think with all the hard work they put in it, they deserve it. I have a place where I can be myself. A place where I can count on my friends to cheer me up when im having a bad day. And ive learned alot also. So thanks!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have to thoroughly agree with everything said here, if it wasn't for ATS I think I would be a blithering idiot in a padded cell by now.

It's fantastic to know there are so many people out there who don't follow the sheeple.
Since my ex hubby ran off with his cyber girlfriend (it's ok, she's welcome to him
,) I haven't had anyone to talk through this stuff with, family and friends think my ideas are too 'out there' so this site has saved my sanity.

The community feeling here is light years beyond any other forum site I've ever been to, and the way you guys keep on top of spamming and the idiots is wonderful.

so Thank you from me too.

PQ

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm happy by the way this site evolved, when I first got here about >6 years ago this site wasn't quite as professional and now it's so professional it's sometimes hard to believe.

If they made money off of this good for them, I wish they spread the love if they really made that much but I highly doubt that.

We all made this site the way it is now, esspecially people that have been with this site for a long time.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Indeed an interesting site. It has boarded various people from time to time and obviously will do and does so. So i guess about know is the relevant time to mention what happens when ?

Obviously you all are in a transition period, given that equations have been factored that were more or less a pipe dream. So what to do and when ?

Don't you simply love capitalism.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join