It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to build an underground shelter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

If calling any local government, and there is the potential you might go against their advice anyway, I would recommend doing it anonymously.

Instead of giving them your full details and address, just say you are looking at buying a property in the area, and you only want general advice... at least initially.

Happy digging!

Timbo

[edit on 14-3-2010 by tim.vic.au]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I’ve applied for many permits over the years. What you should do is go to the township building and ask for a copy of your plot plan. It should be on file with the township. Then ask to talk to the building inspector . Ask him what your set backs are (how close you can build up to your boundary line).
Then tell him your thinking of building a root cellar/ wine cellar and if there were any coed restrictions involved with doing this. Most code officers are ok (but there are a few a-holes out there) he or she should be more than willing to help answer any questions you have. That is there job so don’t be afraid to ask. Just remember it’s a root cellar.
O ya most important of all NEVER start digging before you Know where all your gas, power, water, and sewer lines are. People die every year hitting gas and power lines. All so it pisses off the neighbors when you nock out there cable TV during a football game.

Ask the code officer for a list of names that provide the free service for marking on the ground all the utilities. You may have to get the city water company to mark water and sewer. Be prepared they can be slow and never show up when they say they will. Plan a whole day to meet with them.
Well good luck and feel free to ask if you think I can answer any questions you have.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by murfdog]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I have looked at some prices of pre built shelters underground and WOW they are spendy. I googled underground shelters and it pulled up a few. I never googled build yer own shelter yet but you are on to something I must say.
This sounds really great, I would; build it big eniugh so you can have room for your friends. I would build one big enough for a family of 6, then I would start adding on til I had enough room for like 2 other families. One huge storage room and a rec room for the kids. Heres my reasoning, it's better to have enough help than only a limited amount in case someone should get hurt or sick. good topic

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog
I’ve applied for many permits over the years. What you should do is go to the township building and ask for a copy of your plot plan. It should be on file with the township. Then ask to talk to the building inspector . Ask him what your set backs are (how close you can build up to your boundary line).
Then tell him your thinking of building a root cellar/ wine cellar and if there were any coed restrictions involved with doing this. Most code officers are ok (but there are a few a-holes out there) he or she should be more than willing to help answer any questions you have. That is there job so don’t be afraid to ask. Just remember it’s a root cellar.
O ya most important of all NEVER start digging before you Know where all your gas, power, water, and sewer lines are. People die every year hitting gas and power lines. All so it pisses off the neighbors when you nock out there cable TV during a football game.

Ask the code officer for a list of names that provide the free service for marking on the ground all the utilities. You may have to get the city water company to mark water and sewer. Be prepared they can be slow and never show up when they say they will. Plan a whole day to meet with them.
Well good luck and feel free to ask if you think I can answer any questions you have.

Thanks, and yeah I am planning on doing all of that but I didn't know they will come out and mark these spots for free? I'm assuming they technically have too since it's their job and if I'm doing a project they don't want me screwing up cable/water lines.

reply to post by NorthStargal52

That's a cool idea. My plan of having the 40ft shipping container, with 8ft width and 8 feet high, is perfect. I can put in some insulation in and put up some drywall and pant it - that's cheap enough and easy enough to do. I'd also run some cables in if I had too, if not I'm planning on getting a generator that I can fit down there.

With a 40ft length, that's enough room to put up some of those collapsible walls, or half walls, or just some sliding walls to divide up the 40ft into sections/rooms. I could have 2 rooms of 10ft each, with one 20ft long room - maybe a recreation area with a tv/games/couch (or pull out bed) and in the 10 ft rooms we could put beds/storage. It's all just coming together right now so I will place my plans up online after I draw them all up. In fact I will make a thread once all the planning is finished to help others see what I did from scratch, and help people see what you must go through to create a shelter.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

Originally posted by murfdog

Thanks, and yeah I am planning on doing all of that but I didn't know they will come out and mark these spots for free? I'm assuming they technically have too since it's their job and if I'm doing a project they don't want me screwing up cable/water lines.

reply to post by NorthStargal52

That's a cool idea. My plan of having the 40ft shipping container, with 8ft width and 8 feet high, is perfect. I can put in some insulation in and put up some drywall and pant it - that's cheap enough and easy enough to do. I'd also run some cables in if I had too, if not I'm planning on getting a generator that I can fit down there.

With a 40ft length, that's enough room to put up some of those collapsible walls, or half walls, or just some sliding walls to divide up the 40ft into sections/rooms. I could have 2 rooms of 10ft each, with one 20ft long room - maybe a recreation area with a tv/games/couch (or pull out bed) and in the 10 ft rooms we could put beds/storage. It's all just coming together right now so I will place my plans up online after I draw them all up. In fact I will make a thread once all the planning is finished to help others see what I did from scratch, and help people see what you must go through to create a shelter.

I have long researched both Underground shelters and Underground homes. Something that concerns me is you are considering using a shipping container. I too thought this way until I started researching it. Shipping containers are designed to be stacked. Their support comes from their exterior framework in which each container above it rests on. They are not designed to have weight or pressure on anything other than the framework. In fact, The walls and roof of these containers are quite weak and would require lots of bracing and strengthening. Just something to consider. As far as permits go...I have read lots of articles that state if you are building a "Shelter" it is not a dwelling and is not required to be permitted. Of course as always check your local ordinances.
Here in Park county, Colorado we are not required to secure permits if the structure being built is 8x10 or smaller. Whether it is attached or not.
Another poster stated Utah shelter systems. Yes they have some great products although expensive. Keep in mind they have products that can be used without "Their" shelters.

Another poster gave reference about "how to build underground homes" Check out Mike Oehler's book "the $50 and up underground house book".

Last but not least. Depending on what your purpose for the shelter is, Personally I would want the least amount of people to know it's location. I wouldn't secure permits as I do not want any record of it. I am certainly not telling you to disregard the law. I am just giving me thoughts on what I would, or would not do. Best of luck on that project!

Scott

top topics

<< 1   >>

join