It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identifying help. Unknown concept plane/rendered image/something else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Any ideas of this plane(s), if it's an existing plane, some sort of future concept or just a rendered image or similar? I used my (not so bad) photoshop skills and can't say for sure if it's an actual image or some sort of computer rendered thing. (If it's some sort of composition, it's a pretty good one). There was no exif data in the images, so not much to work with except what your eyes can tell. The filenames are as they were uploaded into my server.

I got the images via FTP upload from a friend a while ago with a bunch of other pictures, so I made a flickr account and uploaded the pictures there.

Link to a flickr account/images

I already emailed to my friend for some more information about the pictures, hopefully he'll reply soon. If you know the plane type, any information is welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your effort.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PilgriMage

I've never seen anything like it, and a quick Google search doesn't turn up anything about a "NordRaven" Plane. They're probably just concept photos though, as doubt the government would allow pictures to be taken of in-development spy-planes.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

The first image is a computer generated image. I can't offer any legitimate analysis to support this opinion other than I have been working with computer generated images a lot lately and, to me, that this is clearly what the first image is.

The second I can't really tell, but I would lean towards computer generated as well.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
very interesting picture. At first I thought it might simply be a forced-perspective shot of a Vulcan or Mirage but I was wrong.

Still looking ....

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horza

The first image is a computer generated image. I can't offer any legitimate analysis to support this opinion other than I have been working with computer generated images a lot lately and, to me, that this is clearly what the first image is.

The second I can't really tell, but I would lean towards computer generated as well.

By first one do you mean the one on fly or on ground? I'm having a headache with the perspective of the both pictures, but can't still prove it's a computer image.. I did the usual stuff (invert/level/gamma/channel mixer etc.) but the picture(s) are both pretty clean to my eye. The one with the plane on the ground appears like the plane is somewhat elevated from the front and maybe somewhat in angle..

Same with the flying picture, the perspective looks weird.. on the other hand, the shape is nothing I'm familiar with at the moment. Can't say how it really should look.

Can you hint me some things to look for on the pictures, as you're sure at least the first image is computer generated?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm thinking it's a concept/Photoshop job. My reasoning is that while it looks like the underbelly of a frame you don't see any indication of landing gear. Sure it could be sealed but there should be residue visible from previous landings on the underside, no?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
very interesting picture. At first I thought it might simply be a forced-perspective shot of a Vulcan or Mirage but I was wrong.

Still looking ....

True.. the wing shape reminds somewhat of Vulcan, but the overall shape and the cockpit/front is way different. It looks cool in a way, must say.

Maybe it's indeed some sort of artistic concept, thou the cryptic stuff/text makes it look like it's rather from a computer game or something.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Notice the watermark in the photo of the airborne shot. FIN-MIL AVIAT-8A

Finnish Military?

I looked at the Fin's .mil site... I notice they use a Learjet 35A/S for "marine surveillance, among other things" and the Hornet as their intercept aircraft, so this would be a step up from the looks of it.

This is of course assuming that this FIN-MIL watermark is referring to a classified Finnish Military photo.

From what I can tell of the photo's, it doesn't appear to be a manned aircraft.

Drones are all the rage these days.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I'm thinking it's a concept/Photoshop job. My reasoning is that while it looks like the underbelly of a frame you don't see any indication of landing gear. Sure it could be sealed but there should be residue visible from previous landings on the underside, no?

Funny.. I thought exactly the opposite, as if the viewpoint is from top/above the hull, not underbelly? Also the contrails from the both sides look like they are originated under/behind the wing.. which would indicate it's the top part of the plane we're seeing here. Thou it would make the cockpit shape even more peculiar.

I must give it a fresh look, I didn't even think of looking it that way.

Edited: typo

[edit on 10-3-2010 by PilgriMage]

[edit on 10-3-2010 by PilgriMage]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I am far from an aviation expert, but it looks a bit like Bill Sweetman's rendering of the Aurora, here:

figure 2.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Phil I see and understand your "top" perspective now. I hadn't even thought of that dark diamond at the top as possibly being the cockpit.
That said, I can see how this could be a mockup for a game or something or possibly a drone as mentioned by a previous poster.

Man, i love this type of i-sleuthing

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I am far from an aviation expert, but it looks a bit like Bill Sweetman's rendering of the Aurora, here:

figure 2.

I think that's the closest rendering to the shape I've seen. Good find Oaktree

The thing though is the Aurora has been talked about for almost 2 decades now and I'm sure if a "anon picture" like the one linked by the OP would come around, not only would people be blasting it as "OMG I SAW TEH AURORA!!1" but there'd be tons of hits on Google Images etc when looking for it.

We can only hope though :-)

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I don't know about the tons of hits for these specific photos.

These pictures were only placed on this Flickr acct. 5 days ago, by a person who most likely created the acct the same day. Perhaps they are authentic, perhaps they are a hoax, one could go both ways with the way they were presented.

Edit to Add:

Hoax: just add some CG images from some video game, and throw on some official looking aerial jargon and Mil spec jargon. Instant following.

Authentic: It's real, and not jargon. Instant following.

[edit on 3/10/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
btw the closest thing I was able to find relative to the shape - the hardest part being the blending of the delta with the top of the craft was the Boeing X-488

Boeing X-488 concept

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Great point. I forget sometimes that not everything is as efficient as we'd like, ala Star Trek hehe.

Phil - any ideas why this pic would be included in your friend's upload? Does he have a background in aviation etc?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Notice the watermark in the photo of the airborne shot. FIN-MIL AVIAT-8A

Finnish Military?

I looked at the Fin's .mil site... I notice they use a Learjet 35A/S for "marine surveillance, among other things" and the Hornet as their intercept aircraft, so this would be a step up from the looks of it.

This is of course assuming that this FIN-MIL watermark is referring to a classified Finnish Military photo.

From what I can tell of the photo's, it doesn't appear to be a manned aircraft.

Drones are all the rage these days.

The "funny" thing is, I'm Finnish myself and so is the friend whom I got the pictures. I can't say I didn't immediately think of our military and aviation, but I wouldn't know how would they watermark some classified stuff around here. After all, the another picture is missing the watermark completely. Thou the picture is much different in many ways, I'm not sure even if it's the same kind of plane.

I live at northern Finland and there's a military aviation center in here too, so I see a lot of different kind of planes flying around here. Can't see I've seen anything like that - thou I've seen some weird ones myself before.

A drone would make some sense indeed, thou if it's the same plane on the ground picture, the scale is something totally different :S

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by TXRabbit

I don't know about the tons of hits for these specific photos.

These pictures were only placed on this Flickr acct. 5 days ago, by a person who most likely created the acct the same day. Perhaps they are authentic, perhaps they are a hoax, one could go both ways with the way they were presented.

Edit to Add:

Hoax: just add some CG images from some video game, and throw some official looking aerial jargon and Mil spec jargon. Instant following.

Authentic: It's real, and not jargon. Instant following.

Ok, I need to point out now, that the FLICKR account is my own.. I made it especially for this images. I can definitely delete the account and use ATS media instead or something. So the pictures are from my FTP, and I'm the one who uploaded them to flickr to ask some opinions.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

reply to post by UberL33t

Great point. I forget sometimes that not everything is as efficient as we'd like, ala Star Trek hehe.

Phil - any ideas why this pic would be included in your friend's upload? Does he have a background in aviation etc?

It's actually my free FTP server for my "tinfoilhat friends" .. We always share everything even remotely insteresting (videos/pictures/pdf/you name it) via my FTP to each others. As far as I know this friend isn't especially interested in aviation. Not that I would be myself either, but the pictures were interesting and I see a lot of planes around here too, I kind of film them every now and then.

I live very clsoe to the "Lapin lennosto" (www.ilmavoimat.fi...) so I'm somewhat interested thou.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Assuming this is authentic, let's try to examine this from the picture taker's point of view.

It's going to be someone that has been working on, or in conjunction, with the project. The Shipyard photo, with the Gulf of Finland and the Gulf of Bothnia, there are plenty of shipyards I would guess. I believe the person in question was on site to take this specific photo, why the craft would be at a shipyard, ehh multiple scenarios come to mind, testing, secure facility, etc. On that notion I feel this pic is plausible.

The aerial pic is plausible and although probably not taken by the individual specifically, it was accessible because of their involvement in the project.

I believe this, if found to be authentic, is definitely a drone.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

btw the closest thing I was able to find relative to the shape - the hardest part being the blending of the delta with the top of the craft was the Boeing X-488

Boeing X-488 concept

Nice plane. I wonder what's the point of those spikes on the tip of the wings. Some nifty way to direct the airflow perhaps? To be honest, first thing I thought after looking the picture was 'those turbines/motors look so vulnerable there..' I wonder why don't they use some kind of covered air flow pipes like on the cars. (Maybe they can't get enough air with that design or something). I already pictured a bunch of birds flying into the turbines..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join