It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia General Assembly First to Ban Mandatory Health Care

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
I live in Virginia and trust me you have to either fail an intelligence test for pass a stupidity test to run for office here. Remember Virgil Goode?

I don't think it is even passably legal for a state to ban a federal mandate. If I recall federal law trumps state law...as it should.

If it were the other way around the federal government wouldn't have any functional power nationally.

Your last sentence is the very reason the 9th and 10th amendments are in the Constitution. By design, it protects the States from complete centralization.

Look at the drinking age limits. In all reality, States dictate the drinking age, not the Federal Government. The Federal Government knew it could not impose a drinking age limit via Federal Law, so they have been using the Federal Highway Act as blackmail to force States to bend to their will.

If the Health Care proposals pass and it becomes mandatory, expect States to assert their 10th Amendment rights, which by the way, includes YOU, as you can assert that very amendment. After States have asserted their rights, expect a round-about law and/or money to be dangled over their heads to force States to accept the mandate.

Again- Assert your 10th Amendment rights...they include you, not just the State you reside in.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I support this actually...nothing should be mandatory. Common sense? sure, but mandatory, no.

Well done Virginia..you lot are freaking wacked beyond any and all logic, but this is actually a pretty solid move.

Me too, SaturnFX, health care we need, mandatory anything we do not need. Need I remind everyone that Federal Law is only legal within Washington, D.C., and, no law supersedes Constitutional Law. The government is in bed, via the Lobby, with Big Pharmacy and Big Insurance, and cannot be trusted to administer over any kind of for profit health care.
I'm sure you all can remember other Federal Mandates.... and lest we forget, the Federal seat belt Law, and the National Speed limit of 55 mph?

I have an idea, why not make it so everyone who is an American citizen eligible for Medicare insurance? Medicare is already administrated by the government, and it is not-for-profit. The only "mistakes" it supposedly makes is when unscrupulous doctors and medical billing people ripping them off. Why do we, as Loyal, Patriotic Americans, let the Lobby's even go to our government's home city and ply their wares? When are we going to have enough of the Lobby? When?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
I live in Virginia and trust me you have to either fail an intelligence test for pass a stupidity test to run for office here. Remember Virgil Goode?

I don't think it is even passably legal for a state to ban a federal mandate. If I recall federal law trumps state law...as it should.

If it were the other way around the federal government wouldn't have any functional power nationally.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by iMacFanatic]

Yes I remember Virgil... but I also remember this... That the Commonwealth of Virginia is the home of Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry and Jefferson Davis

I love Virginia.
I love the way the dirt smells...

I also remember this:

The Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia

Section 2. People the source of power.

That all power is vested in, and consequently derived from, the people, that magistrates are their trustees and servants, and at all times amenable to them.

Section 12. Freedom of speech and of the press; right peaceably to assemble, and to petition.

That the freedoms of speech and of the press are among the great bulwarks of liberty, and can never be restrained except by despotic governments; that any citizen may freely speak, write, and publish his sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right; that the General Assembly shall not pass any law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, nor the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for the redress of grievances.

Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

--------------

"VERMIN"

If there is a stain on the record of our forefathers, a dark hour in the earliest history of the American Colonies, it would be the hanging of the "witches" at Salem. But that was a pinpoint in place and time-- a brief lapse into hysteria. For the most part, our seventeenth century colonists were scrupulously fair, even in fear.

There was one group of people they feared with reason-- a society, you might say, whose often insidious craft had claimed a multitude of victims, ever since the Middle ages in Europe.

One group of people were hated and feared from Massachusetts Bay to Virginia.

The Magistrate would not burn them at the stake, although surely a great many of the colonists would have recommended such a solution. Our forefathers were baffled by them.

In the first place, where did they come from? Of all who sailed from England to Plymouth in 1620, not one of them was aboard. "VERMIN." That's what the Colonist called them.

Parasites who fed on human misery, spreading sorrow and confusion wherever they went. "DESTRUCTIVE." They were called.

And still they were permitted coexistence with the colonists. For a while, anyway. Of course there were colonial laws prohibiting the practice of their infamous craft. Somehow a way was always found around all those laws.

In 1641, Massachusetts Bay colony took a novel approach to the problem. The governors attempted to starve the "devils" out of existence through economic exclusion. They were denied wages, and thereby it was hoped that they would perish.

Four years later, Virginia followed the example of Massachusetts Bay, and for a while it seemed that the dilemma had been resolved. It had not, somehow the parasites managed to survive, and the mere nearness of them made the colonists skin crawl.

In 1658, In Virginia, the final solution: Banishment; EXILE. The "treacherous ones" were cast out of the colony. At last, after decades of enduring the psychological gloom, the sun came out and the birds sang, and all was right with the world. And the elation continued for a generation.

I'm not sure why the Virginians eventually allowed the outcasts to return, but they did. In 1680, after twenty-two years, the despised ones were readmitted to the colony on the condition that they be subjected to the strictest surveillance.

How soon we forget! For indeed over the next half century or so, the imposed restrictions were slowly, quietly swept away. And those whose treachery had been feared since the Middle ages ultimately took their place in society.

You see, the "vermin" that once infested colonial America, the parasites who prayed on the misfortunes of their neighbors until finally they were officially banished from Virginia, those dreaded, despised, outcasts, masters of confusion were lawyers.

>From "Paul Harvey's" The rest of the story.

If you havent watched Bob Dylan play Dixie, maybe you should
LINK to short Video

[edit on 11-3-2010 by seataka]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

What money?

The money they don't have?

You are naive if you think your state does not depend on federal money.

This wouldn't even be hard to do for the federal government...they could simply say adhere to the healthcare mandate...or no more medicare funding. Because if as a state you don't want to have all your residents have healthcare, logically that would mean your population will be unhealthier than the rest of the country and a bigger drain (and an unfair drain) on medicare...so you are cut off from the medicare system.

Watch how fast Virginia adheres to the mandate.

This is simply political posturing...they are passing a bill that they know for a fact they will never be able to uphold. They are doing to make it look like they are defiant to get some voters on their side when they need them...and apparently you have bought it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
You are naive if you think your state does not depend on federal money.

You missed my point.

The federal government DOES NOT HAVE the money is lends out.

We are how many trillions of dollars in debt? Literally the only reason they still have money, is because the Federal Reserve keeps printing it, and because there is massive corruption that literally allows money to be invented out of thin air in computer bank accounts through lending and interest and all those kinds of things. Not to mention when Congress approves "bail outs," all of THOSE trillions of dollars are invented out of thin air too and just tabbed onto the debt, as if by the wave of Congress's hand the bankers invent more money to pay themselves with.

If the feds can make money out of nothing then why can't the state of Virginia? That was my question. The US Constitution says Congress is in charge of printing money but they already relinquished that to the Federal Reserve, which has no legal authority over the State of Virginia as it is a private corporation.

And as the economic situation worsens people are going to be thinking more and more outside the box to address these issues when all the conventional solutions are losing steam.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

virginia wants its poor and sick people to die off at an early age. they use too many resourses now. only the wealthy and the people that have good enough jobs to be able to afford health care, are wanted in virginia. the republicans in that state have gotten their way. and it seems the rest of the nation wants that too.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Virginia doesn't care if the federal funds they get are from deficit spending or not...they will take whatever they can get.

Are you suggesting that Virginia should just create it's own currency? I'd like to see how far that idea gets...good luck on interstate commerce with Virginia dollars.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that Virginia should just create it's own currency?

No, I'm saying they should just start passing legislation approving budgets that we don't have the money for and don't raise taxes either. Just keep going into the hole the way the feds are doing and wait for the whole thing to crash. Why not? I don't support the federal reserve or the current monetary system anyway. If it's going to be abused might as well get some legitimate use out of it as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

As usual reading some post here makes me realized that America has become illiterate when it comes to its own history and the nations humble beginnings.

The federal government has as much power as the Republic all owe them to have.

Actually people forget that the US of America is an union and that each state is a Republic government by the citizens of each state

I guess now that the federal government can not act like a pimp anymore due to budget cuts and what has been taken away from the states to make them whores, the states now need to start looking for themselves.

If the health care bill passes with the mandatory clause in it is going to be the biggest battler of the People vs federal government on the constitutionality of the mandate and is going to get ugly.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

So unless you want your highway system, education system, and other federally funded programs to go to crap...I'm sure your state will follow any mandate the federal government gives. Or you will become a third world state.

cough cough: federal employees live in VA :cough cough

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Federal funding would only be lost for the first year. After that the States could simply withhold Federal Income Taxes from the Federal Government in order to fund themselves in lieu of the Feds.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g
cough cough: federal employees live in VA :cough cough

Yes, a LOT of them do. When you hear "Northern Virginia," we're talking suburbs of DC. Plus the Pentagon, and CIA headquarters probably some important FBI buildings all located in Virginia as well. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as this goes.

Originally posted by mrbarber
Federal funding would only be lost for the first year. After that the States could simply withhold Federal Income Taxes from the Federal Government in order to fund themselves in lieu of the Feds.

Why not? Sounds about fair to me. Do you know of any state that's actually done that before?

Look what I found out about the income tax amendment (16th amendment):

The following states never took up the proposed [sixteenth] amendment:

1. Pennsylvania
2. Virginia
3. Florida

en.wikipedia.org...

We never ratified the income tax in the first place.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by bsbray11]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join