It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-117 over Philadelphia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
dz

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
For those of you in the Philadelphia area (moreso center city I guess), anyone else notice the F-117 circling around the city several times the other day?

I was walking back from the movies with my gf down on Delaware Ave when I look up and see an F-117 clearly. It was under the clouds and then climbed up over. I heard it circling around and eventually it just disappeared. It came around like 4 or 5 times though.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dz
For those of you in the Philadelphia area (moreso center city I guess), anyone else notice the F-117 circling around the city several times the other day?

I was walking back from the movies with my gf down on Delaware Ave when I look up and see an F-117 clearly. It was under the clouds and then climbed up over. I heard it circling around and eventually it just disappeared. It came around like 4 or 5 times though.

Is it very noisy? And what color it had? I heard they are now using grey-blue instead of black.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The new shade is pale neutral gray. I don't know how many F-117s are sporting the new paintjob, though.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I know there are many shades to the F-117 as Amet has beaten me to that one. heh

I doubt you have anything to really show any kind of concern about.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
DAmn it. THye hsouldhave just left it as black...It looks soooo damn goood as black. Who cares about camoflage?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Probably the pilots flying it so they don't get shot down and blown into a thousand pieces.

The USAF almost always applies camo... it's not that uncommon.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amet Khan
The new shade is pale neutral gray. I don't know how many F-117s are sporting the new paintjob, though.

Only one, they are testing it out.

The hope is that they will be able to operate during daylight hours to provide 24 hour stealth bombing.

If it works I would not be surprised to see them test it on the B-2 as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Only one, they are testing it out.

The hope is that they will be able to operate during daylight hours to provide 24 hour stealth bombing.

If it works I would not be surprised to see them test it on the B-2 as well.

?????? I thought B-2 is already using special paint color blending with the sky.?????

Interesting pictures :

These two are grey.....

....and these black....

....and this one has also other color....

So what color B-2 really uses? Or can it change the colors during the flight?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
?????? I thought B-2 is already using special paint color blending with the sky.?????

Interesting pictures :

These two are grey.....
So what color B-2 really uses? Or can it change the colors during the flight?

Having seen one up close, I think it looks black.

The B-2's do their combat flying at night, where the color is most effective.

It can't change colors in flight, why would you want to waste valuable payload space for a system like that?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Imagine a B-2 with winter day camo?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Th B-2 uses a dark blue that changes tint according to the angle of light. It is used both day and night because it operates at high altitude so a dark blue color will blend it with the sky.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Color issues

Here are a few things with these pictures that could account for the difference in color

Camera used
    Film Used
    Processing of film (both paper and developers)
    Lighting conditions on the day
    Weather the image was taken through glass
    Lens Filters

You put any of these variables together and you could get some wildly different colors of aircraft when compared next to each other.

Peace

DJDOHBOY

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
IM in Phily and i never heard of it being here, or on the news.

jra

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I didn't know they were getting a new paint job. Are there any pics online of it? I did a brief google image search with out any luck. Just found the usual black/dark grey ones.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Here is some information and photos of the new F-117 gray paint scheme. It looks similar to the low-observable solid gray schemes that most Air Force and Navy aircraft have, albeit a somewhat lighter shade. Only a couple of planes have received the new color so far, and they are being evaluated at Edwards and other bases in the southwest before the decision is made about applying it to the rest of the fleet.

www2.acc.af.mil...
home.earthlink.net...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm in the Philadell burbs, the only thing I can think of is there has been alot of movement at Willow Grove Naval Base. I don't know about F-117's being at the base, I thought they were in Colorado. Considering the Naval Movements off the coast of North Carolina/Virgina, this could also be involved.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
seeing an f 117 is rare but no big deal i have seen 1 or 2 in the daylight in va.beach but i think an airshow was coming but my pops has seen them nowhere near airshows

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
ive seen 3
in the upstate new york area...my friends live there and i visit them every once in a while....only when schools out though.....man grey color looks dumb on them....looks like a piece of wool or something....grey....but grey would blend in inside clouds but not a blue sky.....maybe they did it to pimp out their ride lol

jra

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Grey helps to blend it in the air in general. I believe the grey is called "Ghost Grey" or something like that. At distances it will fade and be hard to see, but yeah up close it won't blend with anything. I believe it's just ment to limit the distance at which you can see it visually.

I've had two stealth fighters at my airport a few years back at the airshow. Got some decent pics of them. Pretty cool to see two flying together in close formation.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
seeing an f 117 is rare but no big deal i have seen 1 or 2 in the daylight in va.beach but i think an airshow was coming but my pops has seen them nowhere near airshows

I'm not sure if they still are, but F-117s have been based at Langley AFB in the past. I was lucky enough to get an up-close tour of one when I worked at NASA Langley. We were even allowed to sit inside the cockpit. The Nighthawk's takeoff pattern also brought them right over the apartment complex I was living in at the time, so my friends and I were able to take some excellent photos of them at low level.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join