It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bombing Near Baghdad Green Zone During Council Meeting, 25 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Large "mortar-like" blasts have been heard in central Baghdad near the Green Zone, and columns of smoke are seen rising from the area. The blasts were apparently caused by car bombs. The Iraqi Governing Council is meeting in the Green Zone currently to discuss the future Presidency of the country.
Four explosions were initially heard, described as sounding like mortars or rockets. Twenty minutes after the initial blasts, another "barrage" was heard. Later, heavy gunfire was reported.
At least 25 people are dead in the attack. It is not known at this time if the casualties are Iraqi or Coalition.

Wired.com

The blast seems to have occured near an entrance to the Green Zone, affecting the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan HQ.

The only word from Coalition officials at this time is that people were rushed to safety in bunkers when the blasts occured.

US, UN & Iraqi officials are meeting inside the Green Zone to name the country's future President. The attack came before an official announcement could be made, but sources report Ghazi Yawar has been appointed.

Details to follow . . .

Related News Stories:
Reuters
Bloomberg

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
You know I have a dark side of me that wished these guys would get there tyrant government so that the dictator that runs the country can torture these guys when thye decide they dont like Islamic fundimentlism.

Sorry for my spelling...keyboard is screwing up.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It's disturbing to see that these things can occur inside the Green Zone, which you would think would be under the heaviest security measures.

new topics

join