It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Series of Earthquakes Today in Chile.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Just checked out USGS and Chile seems to be very active.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I really think that things are really heating up. I also think that something much much bigger is going to happen very very soon. Whats your thoughts?
Surely now people must be really wondering?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Please keep these posts in the 2010 quake thread. Quakes in this region are expected for months after the 8.8 and it doesn't need its own thread.

This isn't a site rule or anything and I'm not a mod, just the opinion thats been shared by many on here.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Aftershocks are to be expected after a very large earthquake. They will continue for months.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Feel free to post the link to that thread.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Phage is right of course - aftershocks are expected and will continue for months.

...But because 5.0+ magnitudes seemed awfully big for aftershocks to me, I tried to find info on normal magnitudes. Didn't, and don't have time to look further - but I do think this might bear watching...

USGS: Aftershock = tremor = see "harmonic tremor" ....

Harmonic tremor:
Continuous rhythmic earthquakes in the Earth's upper lithosphere that can be detected by seimographs. Harmonic tremors often precede or accompany volcanic eruptions. (Teacher's Packet)
A continuous release of seismic energy typically associated with the underground movement of magma. It contrasts distinctly with the sudden release and rapid decrease of seismic energy associated with the more common type of earthquake caused by slippage along a fault. (Foxworthy and Hill, 1982)
... harmonic tremor, which is a long-lasting, very rhythmic signal whose origin is not well understood but which is often associated with active volcanoes ... (Brantley and Topinka, 1984)

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by whoshotJR

Feel free to post the link to that thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here you go!

Since you are into earthquakes you should also check out the what's going on at Yellowstone thread if you haven't yet. Its under the fragile earth forum also and generally at the top of the list or close.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

If you are suggesting that all the Chile aftershocks could be harmonic tremors, and thus related to volcanic activity- umm, no. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

First of all, harmonic tremors have a certain signature on seismographs, and not a single one of these aftershocks has had that signature, or anything even remotely close. I have seen probably 80% of these aftershocks in GEE myself- as I am monitoring them closely.

Second, the USGS wrote a summary of the 8.8 quake, which you can read here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

They clearly state it was a subduction zone event and driven by tectonic (plate movement) activity. No volcanoes, no harmonic tremors. Promise.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the info TrueAmerican.

...I was just wondering if the earthquake and aftershocks might have triggered something new. Could happen, no?

BTW - I'm holding you to your promise.

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
.... the USGS wrote a summary of the 8.8 quake, which you can read here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

They clearly state it was a subduction zone event and driven by tectonic (plate movement) activity. No volcanoes, no harmonic tremors. Promise.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

...But because 5.0+ magnitudes seemed awfully big for aftershocks to me, I tried to find info on normal magnitudes. Didn't, and don't have time to look further - but I do think this might bear watching...

Size of the aftershocks are dependant on how big the initial quake was, but typically reach up to about 1.0 magnitude less.

Posted something similar on a different quake-scare thread of someone asking, but for one example, the 9.2 quake in alaska had 9 aftershocks all over 6.0 (half over 7.0) on the first day following the 9.2. And the aftershocks continued for about eighteen months.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
common and expected aftershocks my friend. The only one that wasn't an aftershock was in Calama (i can't recall the day, sorry...) some days ago. 6,2º
and even that's normal, we have quakes every day in our country.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
seismologist says an aftershock of 7.? would expected like normal after 8.8

in 1985 the earthquake was 8.0 and one month later there was a aftershock of 7.3

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
5.0 mag afterschocks are not considered abnormally high giving that the main earthquake was of 8.8 mag.
As a matter of fact, seismologists are alerting that much higher afterschock can be expected in the next 2 or 3 months. This is based on historical data regarding major EQs like this around the world.
So, we can expect some more 7.5 mag or stronger aftershock to hit Chile for while.

Principal Réplica do Terremoto ainda estaria por vir

br.noticias.yahoo.com... ipal-replica-terremoto-no-chile.html

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
somebody posted on ats that whoever is in charge of creating the standard grading for earthquakes dropped it by 1 point. and so that really means the chile eartquake was really a 9.8 and the after shocks are really 6+. is any of this true? i havent had the time to look into it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
somebody posted on ats that whoever is in charge of creating the standard grading for earthquakes dropped it by 1 point. and so that really means the chile eartquake was really a 9.8 and the after shocks are really 6+. is any of this true? i havent had the time to look into it.

You are misunderstanding that. the scale was dropped by 1 point for ALL quakes, and it was changed several decades ago (1970s I think? when we went to the MMS system, someone correct me if I am wrong)

the 8.8 in chile was an 8.8. If it was pre-scale change, sure it would be called a 9.8, but the equivalent power would have been the same.

And another thing is the aftershocks have varied a lot and are not the same size. Was a 7.2 afterschock today as the other threads springing up suggest, and many, many of them in all magnitude ranges.

There is no set predictability on how strong aftershocks will or can be, and they can reach near the same intensity as the originating quake-- they just tend to be 1.x or more less in magnitude.

top topics

join