It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edit quote at bottom of edited post

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jhwilson9

It's because the amount of time to edit a post is limited. After you've exceeded the allotted time a Mod request can be made if you need to make a pertinent edit. Key is to proofread, although I think even the best posters make their mistakes on occasion.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I can understand that it is a little annoying but it is needed to follow some discussion.

If someone replies to a post and then the post is edited, in such a way, the main statement is changed, it is a.... conspiracy...

example:

Are you a dumbass???

NO!!!

Now edited:

Are you aNYTHING ELSE THEN A dumbass???

NO!!!

[dumbed on 9-5-2010 by Editass]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That explains it. However, it is longer than 2 hours, as today's 2 posts are still editable.
Thanks for the info!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What if one could highlight the text to be changed or deleted, and click on a 'strike-thru' button to mark the old text, and then insert the new text either next to it or below it in a new line, perhaps in a different format (colored, boxed, or something else)?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I just spent a couple hours trying to repost an edited post of mine (within the 2 hour limit).
When the editing page comes up, I change the text in the lower box. Then I click on Preview Post. It looks OK. So I click on Edit Post, but the text is identical to the original post! It didn't work!
I tried this many many many many many times, with no luck.**
When you click on Preview Post, the upper box shows what you just did, but the lower box reverts to the original text of the post!
I finally figured out that the only way the editing works is, after I have previewed the post, I go back to the lower box and remake the same changes to the post, and then NOT click Preview Post, just click Edit Post.
Is this a "feature" of your blog program? I don't understand the function of it.

Also, shouldn't the button 'Edit Post' read 'Post Edit', since you want to POST the edited text of your original post, not do more editing of that original post?

** Of course, I now have 6 lines of "[edit on 9-5-2010 by jhwilson9]", when in fact I made only one change.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Edit times may be a function of posting limits. Like the the aforementioned max character length. 6500, 8000, 10000 (and maybe more, have not reached a new plateau) that are determined by total number of posts (best guess is less than 200 posts is 6500 characters, more than 200 but less than 1000 posts is 8000 characters, more than 1000 posts is 10,000 characters). Editing times might be extended along the same lines as I seem to have upwards of 12 hours to edit a post when before it seemed significantly less time when I had the 8000 character limit.

Since SO is the one that does the coding for the site, he might be the best person to answer the question. Especially given my dodgy memory and casual observation of "Hey, I can still edit this?"

Honestly, I originally didn't think that there were specific time limits so much as number posts made after the the post you wanted to go back and edit. But it would seem that time limits would make more sense than expanding multiples of posts.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Its a known glitch that if you preview the edits you have made first, it changes the post back to the original unedited version. The new ATS2010 board I believe has addressed this.

I always copy and paste the edit before previewing it so I have my work saved.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

Its a known glitch that if you preview the edits you have made first, it changes the post back to the original unedited version. The new ATS2010 board I believe has addressed this.

I always copy and paste the edit before previewing it so I have my work saved.

-----------
So, I guess my next question is, how do I use/access the "ATS2010 board", whatever that is?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhwilson9

-----------
So, I guess my next question is, how do I use/access the "ATS2010 board", whatever that is?

You can't view it just yet as it's not fully finished.

Once it is finished (which shouldn't be too long I'm assuming) we will move from the board we are seeing now to the new one.

See this thread...

ATS 2010 (video) Preview - a look at the new ATS, coming soon

Also see this informative post.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Rising Against]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join