It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i thought my degree was a waste of paper, but...........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I have a degree in religious studies from 2001...........
i was told, read, and even thought it was a worthless piece of paper but today i had an amazing realization........

the back is an entirely blank piece of paper to do anything with.
i can write my weekly schedule, draw a cartoon, or.....my god......i could make a functioning airplane.
wow.

is this 'breaking through to the other side"?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

An epiphany! How grand!

Perhaps I can use the back of my degree to draft a new Constitution or Declaration or Independence, hell I could even get more use out of it by cutting it into little squares and making a flip book out of it.

Fun times.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Degree in religious studies? That is a elective degree...one of those degrees you get simply for fun or personal growth.

Like Philosophy...those are "rich people degrees" whom want the degree only to have it, not for it to function.

People going to college whom want a functioning degree really need to take a science major...computers, medical, etc...

What were you hopeing it was going to do for you when you got out?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Haha this thread is amazing!

I'm going to my diploma in music to wipe my nose with!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Degree in religious studies? That is a elective degree...one of those degrees you get simply for fun or personal growth.

Like Philosophy...those are "rich people degrees" whom want the degree only to have it, not for it to function.

People going to college whom want a functioning degree really need to take a science major...computers, medical, etc...

What were you hopeing it was going to do for you when you got out?

thank you for your kind words.
i also got a degree in medicine, but i learned late that no matter whether it's mainstream or naturopathic, you're basically working for insurance companies..

it's funny you ask what i was thinking i `would do with it when i go out, because i was only thinking of getting out, period.

i was hoping i wouldn't have to put any cute smiley faces or anything, that everyone would would get the joke.....
i use the degree every day, unlike the other one, drenched in physics, calculus, organic chemistry, astronomy, etc.....i may still need recovery from that one......(insert smiley face here)

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature
Haha this thread is amazing!

I'm going to my diploma in music to wipe my nose with!

haha.................is that why jimi burned his guitar at monterey? same reasoning? paradoxically, that guitar wouldn't be worth as much if he hadn't burned it....

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Degrees as a whole are worthless. The only people requiring an advanced education are professionals; Doctors, Lawyers, CPAs etc... I should know, I have 3 completely worthless degrees - BS Marketing, BS Psychology and BA Liberal Arts. I spent 20 years in executive management, not because of the degrees, but because I was good at what I did. Ironically, I HATED it!!! Today I am a building inspector and make MORE money working for myself part-time than I did working for other people in my areas of study.

Colleges are businesses and they NEED people to believe that a degree is necessary in order to be successful and happy. This is typically where people enter the matrix and become a part of the endless white-collar assembly line. Those who awaken, like me, will eventually shun the system and move on to do something else that is more personally satisfying. To wit, one of my college roommates, a straight A Magna Cum Laude graduate who went on to grad school to get his CPA, MBA and Juris Doctorate is a career welder. Yes, you read that correctly! He left his Jr. Partner position in a major law firm and got his certification in welding. Then he got his certs for alloys. Then he got his certs for chemical plants. Then he got his certs for underwater welding. He makes over $200 an hour, works about 20 hours a week and makes over $150K a year!!! He is happier than ever!

I did, however, find a very good use for my degrees... one cold wintery night, when I was low on kindling wood, I used them to build a nice warm fire! It was very satisfying.

top topics

join