Why Blacks embrace their opressors God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The Invisibility of The Black Atheist
It can be argued that in most African American communities it is more acceptable to be a criminal who believes in God and goes to church on Sunday while selling drugs to kids all week than to be an atheist who has a good job, a good education, who contributes to society and supports his family. In these communities you find more tolerance towards gangbangers, drug addicts, and prostitutes, who pray to God for forgiveness than for honest productive citizens who deny the existence of God. This, for me, is one of the most embarrassing elements of Black culture, our zealous embracement of the God of our kidnappers, murderers, slavemasters and oppressors.

wordsofwrath.blogspot.com...

I am a black African-American woman who identifies with the author. I left religion a few years ago. It seems insane, even sad to know that most blacks tend to embrace the 'white' Christ/God more than the white slave masters did themselves. I know that in the time of slavery, they used shackels, guns, and whips.....

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is difficult

This is difficult as the quoted paragraph is overflowing with charged language, categories, labels, and has no specific names, incidents, or facts. A difficult situation to make headway in. If this is the case, I apologize if I'm being presumptuous, I have found fighting fire with fire can work sometimes.

Try prefacing counter arguments with a new un-loaded phrase of your own design. Like tell the person "Well, I'm an Atheist American, and I think ..." I find people are willing to give a new label a chance as it has not been overloaded yet, and there is room for them to make it their own.

David Grouchy

+60 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
First off, let's get something clear.

There is not one white person living in America today that owned slaves, and in fact, many white people's families were slaves and oppressed just as much around the world.

not only that, EVERY race owned slaves. not just whites. 88% of all slave owners owned less than 20 slaves.

so go on ahead and keep spewing the ignorance youve been taught, that the white devil is only out to get you. OOGY BOOGY!

on topic, however, blacks have accepted christianity for many THOUSANDS of years.

en.wikipedia.org...

according to this link, Christianity had been in Africa since 43 AD. I'm sure white slave owners was to fault, right?

seeing as how the egyptians, roman, greeks, and everyone else at that time owned slaves.

Also, who did you think made a profit by selling off warring tribes to whites? thats right, other tribes of blacks.

sorry this whole thread just makes me sick.

nice try on a hate thread though. you might have got away with it on a msm thread. people here actually know things though.

[edit on 3/10/2010 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Religion is always used as a tool of control for the slave class...this does not mean the african american class mind you, but simply the underpreforming and underthinking of society, whom coincidently is also the blacks in american society.

There could be some legs to this theory. Many have tried to discuss what the "problem" is with black people in America...and there is a problem, 33% of blacks end up with a criminal record. They are in a close second place for welfare (highest welfare recipient = single white adult mothers)...but given blacks account for only 20% of society, that number is heavily skewed.

Obviously slavery/segregation hampered the blacks from integrating into society, but what keeps them now? We no longer segregate...racism is still alive but its both ways and its subtle, so it would be difficult to point as that as the only issue...whats left...ahh, religion. ingrained belief that you dont have to try in life, get what you want and beg forgivness from the all forgiving Lord.

I think religion is like wine to some..a touch of it will make you happy and feel good, but too much will keep you sedated, angry, sick, and unproductive.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Not so surprisingly, the Persians didn't deal with slavery. Since it's an abomination to claim superiority over another human being.

As a reaction to the OP. Yes, organized religion is very devious concerning the manipulation of people, but people must let said manipulation occur first.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

Not so surprisingly, the Persians didn't deal with slavery. Since it's an abomination to claim superiority over another human being.

As a reaction to the OP. Yes, organized religion is very devious concerning the manipulation of people, but people must let said manipulation occur first.

A quick search would show that you are wrong in your assumption, In fact Slaves were owend by the Persians.

ancienthistory.about.com...

However I should note that they were one of the First Empires to abolish Slavery...

Slavery has been part of humanity for years, always the weaker getting picked on, Egyptians did it to Europeans, Romans did it to everyone, Africans sold Africans, Arabs Sold Africans, Europeans Sold Africans, Jews sold Europeans, Asians Sold Asians, Africans sold Asian, Native Americans Bought and Stole both African, and European Slaves, Hell Native Americans enslaved enemy tribes as well...

Even today you see slave trade now its Sex, Eastern European Girls, African Girls, American Childern, Asian Childern, Are being stolen off the streets and forced into the Sex trade. Slavery isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
to the haters:

First of all, this thread isn't even about SLAVERY itself. I don't care whether you are black or white, we all know the deal on that...

The thread is about blacks embracing Christianty as if it were our own. Not realizing that it is the religion that was tuaght by our WHITE oppresors who forced this religion down our throats...

My point is that african americans who still embrace this Christian god have no reason too; we are not in shackels anymore

And I posted a bit of the essay because it is WELL WRIITEN by a black atheist like myself and he says what I want to say PERFECTLY

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Most blacks embrace the lord because for one many are surviving in the poor level of class and have to struggle most of the time of their lives and they KNOW THAT THEY NEED GODS HELP TO SURVIVE WITHIN THESES DARK REGIONS OF FINANCIAL UNSTABILITY. Many blacks as you say also dont care or even acknowledge that the WHITE GOD AS YOU CALL HIM is the one depicted in many images abroad so THEY POSSESS THE ABILITY TO SEE THROUGH THE COLOR and know HE IS REAL CHRIST THAT IS. You call JESUS a color as if it mattered what color he was or is NOW, thing is HUMANS all bleed and need air to breath and water to live and food to survive SO YOU ARE ALL THE SAME "GENERALLY". I think its a beautiful thing that the blacks as you call us are so spiritually driven to a GOD they cannot SEE BUT CAN SENSE and are not caught up in a belief system that JESUS LOOKS AS THE MEDITERRANEAN artist wanted him too (mabey that is the trickery that you fell for and left the light because of). As far as MESSIAH GOES THE SON IS FOR ALL COLORS/KINDS SO DONT sell yourself short on religion for the SON WAS TREATED LIKE A LESS HUMAN/SLAVE BY THE ROMANS AT HIS TIMES........look deeper into what is reality if you exist without CHRIST you may be in for a very bad ride thru eternia GOODLUCK.........

[edit on 3/10/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

This, for me, is one of the most embarrassing elements of Black culture, our zealous embracement of the God of our kidnappers, murderers, slavemasters and oppressors.

It is kind of interesting why the enslaved should choose to worship a deity that encouraged slavery.

One can only assume that their piety was obtained under duress and fear. It would be fair to say that in the past many slaves did not have the ability to read so were more than likely not to know that the scriptures their god openly endorsed the inhuman act of their subjugation.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
to the haters:

First of all, this thread isn't even about SLAVERY itself. I don't care whether you are black or white, we all know the deal on that...

The thread is about blacks embracing Christianty as if it were our own. Not realizing that it is the religion that was tuaght by our WHITE oppresors who forced this religion down our throats...

My point is that african americans who still embrace this Christian god have no reason too; we are not in shackels anymore

And I posted a bit of the essay because it is WELL WRIITEN by a black atheist like myself and he says what I want to say PERFECTLY

so you didnt read the part about christianity being introduced in africa in 43AD?

because thats a long time before any "white masters" had them and we both know that.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Originally posted by Zamini

A quick search would show that you are wrong in your assumption, In fact Slaves were owend by the Persians.

ancienthistory.about.com...

However I should note that they were one of the First Empires to abolish Slavery...

Slavery has been part of humanity for years, always the weaker getting picked on, Egyptians did it to Europeans, Romans did it to everyone, Africans sold Africans, Arabs Sold Africans, Europeans Sold Africans, Jews sold Europeans, Asians Sold Asians, Africans sold Asian, Native Americans Bought and Stole both African, and European Slaves, Hell Native Americans enslaved enemy tribes as well...

Even today you see slave trade now its Sex, Eastern European Girls, African Girls, American Childern, Asian Childern, Are being stolen off the streets and forced into the Sex trade. Slavery isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

yeah i found that article too.

thanks

+16 more 
link   

to the haters:

Maybe you should get your head out of the clouds and do some research ever heard of Coptic Christians? How about the Ethiopian Orthodox church, who long embraced Jesus way before Europe??? Christianity was a part of Africa, before Islam took over.... Maybe you may want to research before you speak.... Just like the Person who wrote the article.

link   

It seems insane, even sad to know that most blacks tend to embrace the 'white' Christ/God more than the white slave masters did themselves. I know that in the time of slavery, they used shackels, guns, and whips.....

For me the logic of this argument goes off the tracks almost immediately with the use of a possesive in reference to God... thier oppressors God.

God does not belong to the "white man" or any man...it has even been well argued that Jesus was a man of color.

Christianity has been mixed with African rooted religions for centuries...as well as Latin American traditions and religions etc. etc.

As for the hypocracy of appearing devout while living a life of crime or immorality...that isn't something that one race has a corner on either. We see it publicy and privately every day through personal experience and news headlines.

Note: I myself am agnostic, but have studied and explored various religions.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

UNTRUE
- Most blacks BELIEVE in some form of Christianity.
- Most of the white "elite" CLAIM to be Christian, but stuff going on at Bohemian Grove etc shows that they BELIEVE in occultist/pagan/Egyptology crap.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You might also take a look at all races. Any man whom does well for himself but proclaims no religion is shunned, whereas a god fearing idiot is respected simply for the whole god fearing aspect. This is neither black nor white...it is a us verses them mentality. People demand you share the same delusion as them else your some abomination in their eyes. As far as doing well while not having magic space ghosts as your reason why, well...it hits on a more fundamental concern for them...how can magic space ghost not give sky gold to them for their continous bowing...instead of reflection on their productivity, they simply label those doing well without the space ghost as evil, caesar reincarnated, etc.

It takes skill to build, but any fool can break down whats built.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yodagod

EXACTLY

I can clearly see the enslaved embracing it..but with blacks knowing their history today, we are just following a tradition, and an ugly one at that.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I can clearly see the enslaved embracing it..but with blacks knowing their history today, we are just following a tradition, and an ugly one at that.

Would you say the same for the whites who know their history yet still embrace the religion of the people who enslaved their ancestors?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Maybe you dont know because you have a warped sense of history, but Ill give you a bone to think about, Jesus wasnt white. (shock) (gasp) He his Brown Skinned being from the Middle East (Israel) It is say to say that he would take the skin color of his Mother, who are you ready for this?... She isnt white either (Gasp)....

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

reply to post by yodagod

EXACTLY

Indeed, although I'm not going down the road of the black thingy I will just stick to people that have been enslaved by the promoters of the Abrahamic god in whose name many were enslaved.

Makes you want to shake them and shout " you learned to read so why not do it ?"

The question must be asked are they not still enslaved but out of their own complacency?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Most blacks embrace the lord because for one many are surviving in the poor level of class and have to struggle most of the time of their lives and they KNOW THAT THEY NEED GODS HELP TO SURVIVE WITHIN THESES DARK REGIONS OF FINANCIAL UNSTABILITY.

Interesting to see who's the first to get the checkbook out at church, the lord or the poor ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join