It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbour Shy? Uses Cash not Cards? - Government Advert Contact Anti Terrorist Hotline!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Wow! That is terrible! In Kentucky, USA this would be a new way for the rednecks to make trouble for one another. Those people already call
child sevices on one another, call the IRS on one another, stab tires out, steal gas caps, continue to pay too much unemployment out and the turn around and sue for it back, the list goes on and on. Meanest people in the USA.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

You either need a bank OR building society account and you can always refuse the debit card when opening the account, although I don't know why anyone would.

As you said, here in the UK it is impossible to live without some sort of account, if only to receive your wages.

"It's almost impossible to operate without a bank account," says Tim Newhouse, an analyst at price comparison site moneysupermarket.com.

Source

Interesting article here.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

You either need a bank OR building society account and you can always refuse the debit card when opening the account, although I don't know why anyone would.

As you said, here in the UK it is impossible to live without some sort of account, if only to receive your wages.

"It's almost impossible to operate without a bank account," says Tim Newhouse, an analyst at price comparison site moneysupermarket.com.

Source

Unless you are unemployed and just have a post office card account, which is not stricktly speaking a debit card it just allows you to collect your unemployment benefit from the post office in cash.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by keldas]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Well, I was going to mention that, but as this is a little off topic anyway, decided against it.

I don't understand why people would carry huge wads of cash around with them, risking losing it if they get mugged (quite likely where I live), when you can just carry a card, which is free to use in 99% of situations. I rarely have over £10 on me at any time, unless I'm out on the town and more and more bars are starting to take cards now.

I can understand the curtains thing though, as I do keep my bedroom curtains closed, but that's just because there are other houses overlooking mine.

As for the number of ATS members that are recluse, it doesn't surprise me at all, even though I do have an insanely sociable life (today; work, home, gym, pub... Tomorrow; work, home, shop, drive to Liverpool for a friend's birthday - This is common for me and yes, it is exhausting)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I can tell you exactly why i use cash instead of cards......................marketing
Every single time you purchase something it helps build up a picture of your spending and the marketing people use that to advertise products to you. It can actually lead to more and more junk mail.

I get hardly any junk mail simply because i use cash whenever i can.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

That poster you have a picture of blows my mind and I feel it is worthy of further study. I downloaded it and zoomed in on the text but can't make out the smaller print. Can you put up a link to a higher resolution picture or tell us what the text says? Also, is that a flying disk/saucer in the upper right corner? That poster has a 40s propaganda look that gives me the creeps.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

The posters were from a 2002 police campaign. It seems a little wrong that the recent radio statements should be associated with these posters as they are so many years apart. Don't get me wrong i am horrified by both the posters and the radio message but it seems dishonest to compare the two in a video.

Still the posters alone should scare people. I'm not a conspiracist but they contained elements of the eye of ra (something i have in my avatar) or they could be viewed as being the all seeing eye. We are increasingly being told that the state is our protector and we should rely on them. We are also being told we should abandon the right of self defense! I mean we are told to that when a burglar enters our home we should lock ourselves ina room and stay there, calling the police to sort it out instead of protecting our home. We are told if we attack that burglar then we can be prosecuted!!!!

I wish i could leave Britain, the country i was born in but sadly my health means i cannot do so. The day i aquire the funds and health to leave this country i will be out of here. This is the same mentality of many educated and wealthy people.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I am sorry, but I dont have a better resolution one. But will try and look at it in Photoshop, but need to reinstall it first.

It really is very much like 1940's propoganda, very well spotted.

Imagined reality, ive seen that poster again in Bristol and Cardiff just before Christmass this year.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Thanks for the reply Imaginary Reality. Another post in this thread said they knew before they read this that it was coming out of the UK, I thought that before I read it too. I've noticed that these trends seem to start there, go through Canada and end up here in the states (usually California first).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Thanks for the reply Mischevious Elf. I majored in graphic design in college and this poster would have made a good subject for an in depth analysis. I might find a better image somewhere online, but I think I need to work on this ground water issue in my home state first. I just found out about it and it really needs my attention ASAP. So many attacks against our rights, where does one begin? Of course we know they will never end.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Sure we are required to have a bank account. But not a debit card.
I've got an ATM-card. Lets me get cash to spend if I need to.
But I prefer human tellers.

reply to post by keldas

...I don't understand why people would carry huge wads of cash around with them, risking losing it if they get mugged...

If I need to carry "huge wads" around, I tend to have a decoy wallet, with ~$20.
And the rest hidden somewhere on my body

[edit on 2010.3.11 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Its the UK. The cutting edge in Big Brother taking away your freedoms.

Im not surprised at all.

Just get ready for it here in the US as well, what works over there is sure to be tried here as well. (Though they are going to have to figure out a different strategy to get our guns from us, the whole mass shooting thing didnt work.)

When they start running those idiotic ads here in the US, I would like to suggest we all call on the politicians in our towns. That ought to piss them off.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Source

This is not true.

I live in the UK, am a well paid professional and do not have any form of bank account. I am paid via cheque and can cash these with any licensed pawn broker or 'money' shop. I am charged an admin fee and interest.

I did once have a bank account. Interest and other costs associated with the account were only less punitive than cheque cashing when there were no delays with account credits.

It is unlikely that I will ever choose to open another bank account.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Some years ago, whilst in Financial Services I was paid on a commission only basis and also paid by cheque.

Things were a tad tight when I had to move quickly following an break up with a partner, and indeed I did the same As I couldn’t wait the 9 days for the cheques to clear (company) at the time. I did this for 6 months and paid between 2 to 5%
Of the total cheque value to walk into as you describe a cheque cashing service and walk out with the money a couple of minutes later.

I HAD a bank account but did not have to use it.

Also I have known doing that job Financial Services many people getting their wages paid into their friends or partners bank account, if they don’t want to open a bank account as the Credit Report will update your new address, and they are in debt and trying to run from it.

In my own life now, I ALWAYS take cash out of the bank before shopping, never use my cards, and don’t intent to, unless absolutely necessary.

If you ever worked in Financial services and esp. Underwriting when you can do a "Footprint" or "Insight" check on someone, if the risk seems high, or to check for fraud, or if strange activity takes place on an account, well the info stored is amazing, and I can tell you what portion of the £50 at the petrol station was for fuel, food, and say tobacco.

USE Cash, keep it flowing, its tangible, may not be backed up by gold, but also is not just numbers on a PC going from Honk Kong to London and back again overnight, with your profile with it.

THEY CANT CONTROL CASH, anymore than they have already, with the scam of private fed reserves, no gold standard and printing it.

THEY HATE CASH,
They loose control

THEY LOVE CARDS,
On many many levels.

Just fyi all.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Source

I find this to be very true and the others who have examples of using anything but a bank are looking at paying huge fees for cashing their paychecks as well as if they want to do anything else. The fees really do add up but people easily brush them off as "Oh it doesn't happen very often." Very psychological.

Being profiled (for what, groceries?) and getting sent junk mail is a small price to pay. There is no reason to pay 5-8% everytime you get your paycheck cashed, that's awful. But I guess if you make THAT much, it's nice to be able to throw some away with inefficient financial practices.

Now some people cant get checking accounts because well they can't, they've ruined their records by taking advantage of banks and going into collections. These are the ones who must exist without an account. An account is an advantage in many ways, whether you need it or not, just use your head and get it at the best place for you. Not the last place you saw advertised on TV... but that was obvious, just not to the masses apparently.

Edit: and the places that provide services like check cashing, the places you go instead of the bank... THEY have an account at the bank. They are just a middleman and it costs you more. So change the system sure, but paying a middleman unnecessarily for him to put his/your money in a bank is not fighting said system.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Novise]

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Novise]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

You've assumed that the only people who do not have a bank account are the ones who have a bad credit history?

How I manage my finances is MY BUSINESS, not the banks, not the credit scoring companies, not the companies and corporations that want to sell to me, not the governments, not yours, MINE.

But for the record, I've just always hated banks! And it was a huge relief to me when I saw the proliferation of the middle man (no, I didn't miss the point that the banks would still be involved) that made it practical for me to exercise my rights as a private individual to minimise the unwanted intrusions of state, corp and money mongerers into my privacy.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think theres been alot of dirty dealings going on over the number of years at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, and in 10 Downing Street, London, and not to mention the European Parliamet, too. Here's a qoute from the EP, website.

Guaranteeing democratic elections.. ""What a joke""
Groups of MEPs are often sent on election observation missions
to non-EU countries. They monitor the entire election process
and draw any breaches of citizens’ rights to the attention of the
relevant authorities and the international community. MEPs
have, for example, participated in election observation missions
to Ukraine, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia and the
Palestinian Territories.
Did most of the EU countries get a vote on the Lisbon treaty, NO they didnt. Guaranteeing fixed elections more like and Blackmail. Ireland had to vote yes the second time round or alot of their instutions would of being punished.

I just gotta love the EU suprem high court, higher than all courts in EU countries, higher than the house of Lords in the UK. They deemed this law fair and in favour of all Banks. This is happining to alot of people on benifits in the UK. If they overdraw by £0.15p the bank charges £30.00 and by the time youve tried to sort it they've taken aleast £60.00.. All the banks now say the same. The highest court in the land says its fair so get out before we take youre shirt of youre back. I'm sure its happing all over Europe. Look at Greece now.
Truth is the richer you are the easier the banks charge you, I think.

Soon anyone that stands up to be heard will be branded the Criminals in one way or another. Its only gonna get worse for the rest of us with the british, the europeans and the americans furthering their own imperial gains. A CASHLESS SOCITY, NWO. The Governments and top bankers are the REAL CRIMINALS and we're just their slaves.

And soon the slaves will awaken an I look forward to that day.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by mackey1224uk]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

No I only said the only ones who have no choice are those with a bad history with banks.

Really, where is it that you handle your finances without the stigma of dealing with a bank, and without the FEES of the various middlemen stores that are willing to cash your checks and give you money orders, and provide other financial services?

If it's that easy then please, everyone should do it. Truth is it probably costs you. Even if it's 3%... Invest that 3% and it could really start to add up! It's probably more like 5-8%.

And so what if you pay your bills with money orders or cash, it's still on record at the place you were billed. It's really not that hard to dig up your fixed expenses if the legal system has any desire to.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
reply to post by teapot

If it's that easy then please, everyone should do it. Truth is it probably costs you. Even if it's 3%... Invest that 3% and it could really start to add up! It's probably more like 5-8%.

The fee Charged is usually dependant on the amount your cheque is worth on a sliding scale basis.

Like usual in life in the UK, for example electrical utility "Pre Payment" meters where you have to buy an amount on a card(card is only just for going into the meter) say £10, in a local shop then put it into your "Meter" so you have electricity again. This type of meter is forced on those who have a poor credit history or an unknown one i.e. no records of credit taken and paid off, and it means you get a lot less electrical units for your £10 compared to those who say pay by direct debit.

The profit lots of Utility companies make in the UK is much higher from the poor than the rich.

The same goes for cashing cheques (well it was years ago when I did this as described), the higher the amount the less the % as they have smaller percentage of a bigger pie.

Therefore someone wanting to cash wages for £100 weekly wage if on minimum wage in the UK would pay about as you said 8% or so, but luckily 2% was the highest I ever paid.

2% of £5k or more is not that much if by not using it you go overdrawn and get 2% DAILY on the balance owing, plus £30 letter writing fees for an automatic computer generated cost of £0.05p letter to the banks.

Also you can put the money into a savings account and earn interest on it...

In addition maybe some people would like to loose a little rather than let the bank have your money for nearly 2 weeks without access to it, and all they earn on this scam of "Cheque Clearance Times."

There are various reasons when looked at from a bigger picture point of view that could make this attractive to some.

I don’t want the supermarket, and therefore everyone they sell the information to, Knowing how much wine I drink, what Condoms I buy, how much I spend on flowers or lingerie or presents, and what my diet consists of, what magazines I may read, what political basis my newspaper is based on, what DVD's and music I but, as profiling is very very easy way that your entire life is laid open. Your likes, class, habits, single or not, time and place you go shopping etc...

A "profile" is being built up slowly over the years on every citizen that lays everything about their life except their thoughts open for all to see.

As the OP shows, it is not enough for them, they have this, records of all texts sent, emails sent numbers called, all stored and saved in the UK for supposed anti-Terrorist purposes, now they want to know if you are shy, close your curtains and wont bank with them ( as they cant track you unless someone snitches on you!)

Hitler and Stalin would be wide eyed with jealousy at what is stored on each of us now!

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

infinite8- Thanks for the star and flag!

MichiganSwampBuck- Here's the picture in high resolution:

The "ufo" in the top right is a reflection of a light at a bus stop against the protective plastic cover.

Here's a thought... Given the current "economic crisis", the governments saw the
very lucrative potential and control the banks have over its customers.

Ahha...what a better way to create a "one world government", since people would
not knowlingly accept this without mass rioting and possibly revolutions.

Instead
1) Create a 'financial crisis'
2) Big bank bailouts
3) Nationialization of banking

We've seen it done here in USA and Canada...and coming to a country near you...If it has'nt already!

Its damn near perfect! Every time money changes hands, they get thier 'cut'.

They can determing if your "credit" is good enough to buy land or run a business.

Eventually they could have total control, if you speak out against the government.

They could financially ruin you, your friends, and family with a single keystoke.

All you need is these government run banks to merge with others or buyout others untill there is only 1 left.

It could be done under everyones noses. I know scary...hope it doesnt happen.

For my poor paying job I had to undergo a backround check (other jobs, arrests..etc)
a drug test, and a credit check.

Some may call it paranoid, but i use mostly cash, dont use facebook or other sites and try
to stay as anonymous and "lay low" on the internet.

Better safe than sorry!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join