WAR: New President of Iraq - Pachachi Declines Offer, Yawar Accepts

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
In a morning of confusion in the Iraq Governing Council, their first choice for President - 81 year old Adnan Pachachi - declined the post. Current Council leader Ghazi al Yawar, 45, was then named President, and as of yet has not declined the position.
The Iraqi Governing Council first chose Pachachi as the president of Iraq following the June 30 handover of power. Pachachi has been heavily supported by Coalition officials as the future leader of the country.
However, in a surprise move, Pachachi has turned down the appointment.

Sky.com
Governing Council leader Ghazi al Yawar has been given the job of Iraq's new president, according to Reuters news agency.

The news came moments after AFP news agency reported that US-backed Adnan Pachachi turned the job down.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yawar is a civil engineer originally from Mosulin the northern area of Iraq. His uncle, Sheikh Mohsen Adil al-Yawar is the head of the Shamar tribe, which encompasses both Sunnis and Shi'ites. He spent 15 years in Saudi Arabia, returning to Iraq in June 2003.
He is a Sunni Muslim and has been vocally critical of US and UN involvement with Iraq.

Pachachi was born on May 14, 1923 in Baghdad. He served as foreign minister under UAE Presidents Abdul Salam Arif and Abdul Rahman Arif from 1965-67 and as UN Representative in 1959-65 and 1967-68.

He left Iraq in exile in 1971 to settle in the United Arab Emirates, and returned to his birthplace in May 2003.

Related News Stories:
Reuters
SBS.com.au

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
All I have to say is that this new president better watch his back.

The people of Iraq are not too happy with the US right now and they could see this new leader as a "US Puppet" and try and assasinate him.

He better have some good security that's all im saying.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
He declined the Job!

LMAO
! That guy is smart.

Who the hell would want that job now? I mean taking that job would be painting a big target on your chest.

I guess they will have to bring back Saddam LMAO!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well now there is a new president of Iraq: Ghazi al Yawar.

The US should not have backed any particular candidate. It's up to the Iraqi people to decide who they want.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Wow, this is confusing.
Pachachi was named pres, declined it, then Yawar was named all within an hour.

I don't blame Pachachi for declining. It's gonna be a rough go for these guys.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but hes most likely going to get killed. Its like after Kennedy was shot, any of his family that runned after that was shot too.

Good luck to him.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by theshadowknows]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
I hate to say it, but hes most likely going to get killed. Its like after Kennedy was shot, any of his family that runned after that was shot too.
[Edited on 6-1-2004 by theshadowknows]

And, yet, Hamid Karzai still lives...

Took the oath on 12-22-01 and hasn't been assasinated yet.

Didn't everyone predict he wouldn't live through his first year?

Don't be too surprised if this guy doesn't get shot so soon. Notice that Bremer hasn't been shot either and since he's the American In Control, he would be much more hated than the resident Iraqi In Control.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
He smells like a Saudi.

Puppet anyone?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Pardon me. I must not be getting the full story but how did he get elected? It sounds like the U.S. appointed him. Weren't the Iraqi people to choose who their new President will be?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
Pardon me. I must not be getting the full story but how did he get elected? It sounds like the U.S. appointed him. Weren't the Iraqi people to choose who their new President will be?

The Iraqis did...the IGC, to be precise.

The US was backing Pachachi, who is 81. I don't blame him - 81 is a very ripe old age over there. He should be writing his memoirs and bouncing granchildren on his knee. Ever notice that memoirs of former mideast leaders are not very common, due to the high mortality rate?

Anyway, now the president is Ghazi al Yawar. But the real power position is not the president, but the Prime Minister, which is Iyad Allawi.

new topics
top topics

join