It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you strike back if your freedoms were taken?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Or would you take it, and just live your routine day?

If suddenly the Supreme Court decided that the Bill of Rights did not apply to the states, and you had no rights, what would you do?

No 1st Amendment - Freedom of religion
No 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
No 3rd Amendment - Freedom from Quartering of Soldiers
No 4th Amendment - Protection against unreasonable Search and Seizure
No 5th Amendment - Protects against judicial abuses by the government
No 6th Amendment - Provides right to a fair trial
No 7th Amendment - Right to jury trial in civil cases
No 8th Amendment - Protections against "excessive" bail and "excessive" fines
No 10th Amendment - Reserves powers not specifically delegated to the Feds to the States or the people
No 11th Amendment - Protects each state's sovereign immunity from another
No 12th Amendment - The procedure by which the President and Vice President are elected
No 13th Amendment - Abolished and prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment
No 14th Amendment - Defines citizenship
No 15th Amendment - Protects your right to vote regardless of color
No 16th Amendment - Allows Congress to levy an income tax (Though some say this was not fairly ratified)
No 17th Amendment - Defines Senator selection
No 19th Amendment - Protects your right to vote regardless of gender
No 20th Amendment - Defines start and end of terms
No 22nd Amendment - Limits terms of the President
No 23rd Amendment - Allows DC residents to vote for President/VP
No 24th Amendment - Outlaws poll (vote) tax
No 25th Amendment - Defines Presidential successorship
No 26th Amendment - Sets voting age to 18
No 27th Amendment - Defines time of pay changes of Congress

What if the Federal government continued to force you to pay for services you once had a choice in? What if you lived off the grid and were forced to pay for power? Grown your own food and were forced to pay for produce? Drove on bio-diesel and forced to pay for gasoline? Cared for your own health or lived a healthy life and forced to pay healthcare?

You would do nothing, wouldn't you. You would wait for someone else to act, be vengeful, tear down the lives or careers of those who imposed it or buildings of organizations who pushed for it. You would simply flip on the news to check out the police action caused by those who did act, if any.

Incorporation of the Bill of Rights
The incorporation of the Bill of Rights is the process used by courts to apply portions of the U.S. Bill of Rights to the states.

Did you know...
The 3rd Amendment does not apply to most states? It only applies to the states of New York and Connecticut.
The 7th, 8th Amendments do not apply to any state?

Fast forward 100 years. I don't think we would have any rights if no one stood up for them. Or stood against those who would take them from us.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I live in Australia, not the US.

If some slime politician ever pulled a stunt, there would be an overwhelming ballot box blowback, that would see that politician, tarred, feathered, and tossed onto the political dung heap.

Another fate for a shonky Prime Minister, would be an appeal direct to the Queen.
The Queen dismissed one Prime Minister (Gough Whitlam) dissolved both houses of Paliment, and called fresh elections.

If Obama was Prime Minister of Australia, the Queen would be demanding he front up with his birth certificate in his hot little hand quick smart. No birth certificate, no job.

But of course America, the land of the free, has none of these safeguards.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
it all depends on who's taking the rights. I attended a protest in London where the police corralled the protesters into the street and would not let us leave. This was the 1st time in my life I really felt like my freedoms had been taken and there was nothing I could do about it. Unless i wanted to take on the police in riot gear.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

why did it need an amendmant for dc residents to be able to vote for the pres/vp?
is that proof that dc isnt part of the USA?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
Or would you take it, and just live your routine day?

If suddenly the Supreme Court decided that the Bill of Rights did not apply to the states, and you had no rights, what would you do?

No 1st Amendment - Freedom of religion
No 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
No 3rd Amendment - Freedom from Quartering of Soldiers
No 4th Amendment - Protection against unreasonable Search and Seizure
No 5th Amendment - Protects against judicial abuses by the government
No 6th Amendment - Provides right to a fair trial
No 7th Amendment - Right to jury trial in civil cases
No 8th Amendment - Protections against "excessive" bail and "excessive" fines
No 10th Amendment - Reserves powers not specifically delegated to the Feds to the States or the people
No 11th Amendment - Protects each state's sovereign immunity from another
No 12th Amendment - The procedure by which the President and Vice President are elected
No 13th Amendment - Abolished and prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment
No 14th Amendment - Defines citizenship
No 15th Amendment - Protects your right to vote regardless of color
No 16th Amendment - Allows Congress to levy an income tax (Though some say this was not fairly ratified)
No 17th Amendment - Defines Senator selection
No 19th Amendment - Protects your right to vote regardless of gender
No 20th Amendment - Defines start and end of terms
No 22nd Amendment - Limits terms of the President
No 24th Amendment - Outlaws poll (vote) tax
No 25th Amendment - Defines Presidential successorship
No 26th Amendment - Sets voting age to 18
No 27th Amendment - Defines time of pay changes of Congress

1st amendment is freedom of speech so i don't have it. 2nd, i cant own a fully auto gun so it again is gone. 5th, who upholds this amendment. last I checked judges were given out ridiculous punishments. 6th i have unless the media is involved in the case. 8th i was charged 200 bucks for a rolling stop with no threat involved so i don't have that. 12th, well we have an electoral college instead of popular vote so its out. 22nd, all I am gonna say is FDR so its out. I still haven't done anything about it either so in short maybe if things got to bad but right now we are all just twiddling our thumbs.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Another fate for a shonky Prime Minister, would be an appeal direct to the Queen.
The Queen dismissed one Prime Minister (Gough Whitlam) dissolved both houses of Paliment, and called fresh elections.

You will find that was the Governor General, Kerr. He did not consult the Queen, nor should he have.

If Obama was Prime Minister of Australia, the Queen would be demanding he front up with his birth certificate in his hot little hand quick smart. No birth certificate, no job.

No she would not, and as Obama was born in Hawaii, has a Hawaii birth certificate (which you can even see online) WTF are you on about?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
My initial reaction when reading your post was "of course! I'd fight back somewhow, whether through protests or what have you."

But after some reflection, I have to admit that I'm not sure what I'd do.

I have a son. My first responsibility is to him and his safety. Would I do something that would jeapordize my freedom or life, knowing that I would be leaving him behind at age 3? I don't know.

Thanks for making me think this morning.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Strike back yes but not in the way you would think.

Attacking the government or violence would be just what they would want.

Wide spread sabotage and disruption of government operations and disinformation operations to confuse the government would be the way to do the most damage without the government being able to claim and arrest a organized group operation.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I think for now everyone is counting on the Nov. elections. If the voice of the people is not heard then, people may start doing more to restore/protect their rights.
Until then well ...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Many freedoms were removed with the Patriot Act and nobody batted an eyelid

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Since we are talking FORCE here and not OPTION I would just wait for the moon to be painted red and the sun to shut off the lights lol and just chill out the LOCUST WILL BE STINGING SHORTLY AFTER ONCE THEY ARE FULLY RADIATED BY SOME MASSIVE PARTICAL COLLIDER BIPRODUCTS SMH.....

I meen what would YOU DO if there was a time when all that was is no more and the SON WAS IN YOUR PRESENCE after he just observed such behavior on his blue marble oops TMI OHNO

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It is my beleif that freedom is an illusion anyway and the time to strike back is long gone.

With each new generation being moulded from the crib out. It is us who will lose if we dare to challeng this mirrage of false dreams and carefuly constructed subdued existance.

Born a slave, lived as a slave and died a slave, but at least you can do it your way.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ahhhh, interesting to think about, isn't it?

Most of us would go through something similar to the stages of dying; denial, anger, negotiation, and acceptance. Citizens of most countries have something more important to protect; care our family members and 'our stuff'.

Those of us in countries with developed economies have effectively become mere domesticated servants. Domestication replaces courage and impulse, with introspective and inaction.

Imagine that, it would be easier to impose an oppressive government on a developed country than one that isn't. Far less bloodshed is needed to oppress citizens of developed countries.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
We've lost our 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th amendment rights and I haven't "dpne anything" other than protest and write some editorials.
I guess your title is correct. We've lost our rights and haven't done squat about it. ::adjusts wool, munches more grass::

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Yeah the create an existance we come to rely on and then use it to hold us to ransome lol. I love this world and i love my country.

I would happily go and live alone in the woods but unfortunately all me survival skills have been bred out of me. A lifetime would be long enough to regain this knowlege. I probably would'nt last the first winter.

Im stuck in this lunatic assylum with all the other crack pots, just like me.
I just wish i could convince myself i like it too.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

They took away all the guns in Australia (from the law-abiding citizens) and you did what? Over here in the US we didn;t hear a peep.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bravo111
Many freedoms were removed with the Patriot Act and nobody batted an eyelid

They had a good start before that... I would just remind those of you familiar with the 'boiling frog' theory that it is only a (short) matter of time before your 'boiling frog' turns into a 'dead frog.' And what do you know? He's still in the pot.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

You will find that was the Governor General, Kerr. He did not consult the Queen, nor should he have.

The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Australia.

Do you seriously believe that he would sack a Prime Minister and dissolve government without first consulting with the Queen ?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

They took away all the guns in Australia (from the law-abiding citizens) and you did what? Over here in the US we didn;t hear a peep.

Of course you did not hear a peep !!

For YEARS there were very long discussions between the public and both sides of government about reducing the level of unused and unneeded guns in the suburban community.

We the people decided to hand in our guns voluntarily, and the politicians did exactly what WE WANTED.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone here from starting up a new political party on the basis of freedom of gun ownership. If that was a popular idea it would have been tried.

The truth is it would be POLITICAL SUICIDE in Australia to bring up the gun debate again. Any politician that tried it would be crucified at the ballot box.
We like it just the way it is. If we wanted it changed, it would be changed.

The mood here about guns is the exact opposite to in America.
Americans just cannot understand that.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

I can understand that, I simply wasn't aware that it was done by public mandate. All the same I'm glad for our 2nd amendment as I both work on guns and enjoy them for hunting and sport shooting.
Thanks for illuminating me on that particular, I thought it was done despite public opinion.
G'day mate!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join