Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Belief in ancient Gods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I am Greek, now living in Australia where I came across a certain section of the Greek community here which still believes in the ancient Greek Gods. After having extensive discussions with them I discovered that the group is prevalent in Greece as well. Basicaly they advocate a return to the old ways as they call them and study extensively ancient greek texts in order to modify their behaviour to the ancient greeks.

Have any of you guys heard of anything similar, are you aware of any group in another culture with similar goals and if so what do you think?

By the way these people even publish a magazine here called "Phoebos".

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I know that here in the U.S., there are groups actively involved in Hellenic Reconstructionalism. One of these is www.hellenion.org... I've never met any of them personally and can't give an opinion one way or another, but I do know such groups exist. Many non-reconstructionalist pagans invoke and worship the Greek archetypes as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Some of their beliefs are very strange indeed. For instance they believe that history is not what we believe and that Greeks existed from 9000BC, claiming there are artifacts in South America and as far as Japan, of ancient Greek civilization. I am trying to find the website of that Aussie magazine "Phoebos".

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I never heard of the greek version. When I was in highschool I knew a girl who was part of a group that believed in the old Egyptian gods. I never took them seriously... it seemed to be a clique for bi-sexual young girls more than anything else, and I got the distinct impression that there were older "leaders" exploiting this. Never the less, my friends insisted that the movement was quite prevalent, and that the Egyptian Gods were absolutely real. I'd ask her more about it, but we had a falling out some time ago when she found out what I thought about religious leaders in general... especially the perverse old woman organizing her little club.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Wow, that is an extreme lifestyle. Do they write and speak ancient Greek as well? Do they wear togas and drive chariots?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting topic!

There are many people who became disenfranchised with Christianity( in the Western World), so they started researching their roots. Look here: Asatru. Good research for those of us who have started researching our pagan forefathers.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It seems that the more technologicaly advanced we get, the more we wish to be part of the long forgotten and in many cases glorified past. I didnt know about the Egyptian case you mentioned above. It would be nice to find out more.

In the Greek case, only greek descendants are allowed access do you remember it being the same with the Egyptians?

As far as chariots go, please if you dont like the topic dont reply.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
In the Egyptian case there was hardly an Egyptian among them. I believe they were referred to as "children of Osiris", and they were most white... mostly blonde in fact, and a good number of them were Australian.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Dont mean to be rude to these people, but what would Australians know (before you send hate mail I live in Australia) about the culture of ancient egypt? Coming from Greek background, I dont think culture is something you can learn in many cases it is innate

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gvret
It seems that the more technologicaly advanced we get, the more we wish to be part of the long forgotten and in many cases glorified past. I didnt know about the Egyptian case you mentioned above. It would be nice to find out more.

So very true. But the mass of romantic disinformation out there led some to search for the real roots of the religion they wish to practice; hence the Khemetic (Egyptian) and Asatru and Celtic Reconstructionism revival (I occasionally dip my toe into the Khemetics but I am more involved with the Celtic Reconstructionists.)

In the Greek case, only greek descendants are allowed access do you remember it being the same with the Egyptians?

No, it's not the same. Anyone is welcome to participate in that religion.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
A high-tech-looking Bible Codes and End of Days website from Florida has many ancient beliefs and current Native American beliefs posted. Interesting website and unusual in that it combines philosophy, science, the Bible Code and religions. The webmaster travels around the world and visits these places and peoples.

Go direct to the page with this link:
onealclan0.tripod.com...

The site offers a free monthly Newsletter and won't accept donations. Funded by O'Neal Sinai Decryption Institute.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Read the Louis Lamour book, "Lonesome Gods".

gvret,
I dont think culture is something you can learn in many cases it is innate

I am not trying to be antagonistic bit I think you are dead wrong.

Culture is taught, not innate.
That is why you can raise a Chinese child in the USA and it will have a totally seperate cultural identity.

Any culture is taught, probaly the more correct term would be ingrained, as a young child. That is why you could aquire a diferent culture as an adult, you just have to learn it.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's pretty fascinating, resurrecting the old gods. But doesn't Hinduism still exist in large part?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
On yes, a lot of religions still exist today and many are not monotheistic. Check out www.religioustolerance.org for a complete list of the more popular ones.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thanks byrd, great list. It is amazing though to know that the ancient beliefs are still in existence today. How accurate though would they be in comparison with the original ancient ones?

From my experience, the Greek followers of the ancient Gods have remodelled their whole life to be as precise as possible to the ancient Greek calendar in regards to religion.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Gvrat, you and I will become very close on this board... with so many things happening in the world, and the galaxy in general, it is of no wonder that people are "discovering" that the old religions may have been closer to the truth than first given credit for.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think the belief in many gods is ridiculous... (no offesnse) I mean relly is there a god of wind!?!?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Any more far fetched than believing an angel is responsible for the winds actions? The myths or religions that had a multitude of gods always had a High Father, the leader, and all others were below him. Not much different than the Hebrew god and his hiarchy of arch-angels, followed by angels, followed by cherubs, and so on...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Agree soothsayer, the ancients do not receive enough credit. We might view their beliefs as ludicrous now, but they certainly would have viewed ours the same way. Besides most ancient beliefs were a bit more complicated than we make them out to be. An intricate system of Gods, demigods and heroes.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Maybe it is just a way to explain something you dont understand or have an anwser for. Example= i saw lightning and i can't explain it, must be a god of lightning. Or there are more than one god??? Probably-probably not.

Who Knows

top topics

<<   2 >>

join