It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 = Mayan Y2k?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Alright, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, metaphorically, the year 2012 is the Mayan Y2k. Everyone remember Y2k? Everyone (well, not everyone, but. . .) FREAKED out. A lot of people were convinced all of our computers were gonna fail we were gonna be kicked back to the bronze age and become post-apocalyptic nomadic cannibal gunslingers beyond Thunderdome. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Life went on, much like it always had, no catastrophic events, negligible instances of computer failure, and the traffic light system was reset to the year "79." (Did anyone else hear that? I heard they didn't ACTUALLY fix a lot of the traffic computers. . .if it's true, I hope someone remembers in 18 years or so. . .anyway, that's neither here nor there.)

Don't get me wrong, I feel like Y2k had alarming potential destruction, but everyone pulled together, fixed what had to be fixed and the human race has had another little near-catastrophic "caper," which are somewhat common in human history. Everytime you turn around, mankind has painted itself into a new hole, or dug itself into a corner, or something.

Which leads me to our next misadventure. 2012. The Mayans developed a timekeeping system which modern man has determined does not have enough bits. That's right, in December of 2012, all Mayan timepieces are going to crash and report that it's the year 0, (or possibly year 1, depending on who you ask. Those crazy Mayans). This means that ALL TIME DEPENDENT MAYAN TECHNOLOGY IS GOING TO CRASH!

With the mind-numbing lack of programmers fluent in the language of the Ancient Mayans, mankind has no chance to "narrowly avert" this catastrophe. We have deviated too far from our Mayan brothers and sisters to possibly patch their technology. . .

=-=-=-=-=

But seriously, I don't have any compelling evidence that anything more catastrophic than Y2k is going to happen. I've searched around the other "2012" topics and haven't found the level of conversation I was looking for so far. I'm sorry if this is a redundant thread, but most of what I read looked like absolute lunacy.

Also, I'm sorry if you're bright and posted on one of those other 2012 threads, perhaps I overlooked your insight?

Personally, clock ending aside, I haven't been able to find anything that the MAYANS said about 2012. Maybe it's a historical cover-up, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but it looks like modern man has spun the Mayans information and prophecy out of control to fit their own agendas.

From what I've seen, the Mayans themselves apparently had their own "Doomsday Episodes" every 50 years or so when their shorter calendars cycled. Is 2012 the "REALLY REALLY Endtimes" for them?

The Mayans seem to be an advanced people for their time period, but they also seem to be wrought with fear and superstition.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people here who seem to genuinely believe that we're either "Entering a Golden Age for Humanity" or "Going to Hell in a Handbasket" when 2012 rolls around. I'm yet to see anything that supports either idea to me, and everyone seems to be rather ambiguous about what "it" is gonna be.

I would like this to be a forum for free speech concerning this topic. I personally am not going to attack anyone for what they say here. I ask that no one else does either. I've noticed a lot of mud-slinging between people with differing ideas on the subject (i.e. the spiritual vs. the technological tribes) and also some agressive skepticism. I ask that this stays to a minimum. Skepticism is welcome, and is a good reality check, but please be civil about it.

If you post a theory related to someone else's research or beliefs, please reference that person or group. If you wish to express wild conjecture, please exercise a healthy degree of logic and add some supporting ideas.

My ideas are on the table (initial satire aside), please post yours.

Thanks,

--J1M

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The reason why 2012 is looking doomy is that Remote Viewers specially the ones from the CIA can not see further than 2012. It apperars that there are hitting a "timeline wall". As we are living in a Quantum World with actually no predictable timelines and things are changing every moment there is for some strange reason a border where things can not be seen further
.........but life goes on

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Interesting, that's one idea I haven't been exposed to yet. . .

. . .and again, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

Heheh, maybe 2012 is the year that someone invents an anti-clairvoyance "cloaking" device? You know, some kind of remote viewing defense or counter-measure?

Just a thought, thanks for your input.

--J1M

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozen_snowman
The reason why 2012 is looking doomy is that Remote Viewers specially the ones from the CIA can not see further than 2012. It apperars that there are hitting a "timeline wall"

I've never heard of the CIA employing remote viewers, I'd have thought they'd be rather sceptical of that kind of thing. Do you have links or info pertaining to this? Thanks!

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
wow...there a heaps of books outta there:
Psychic Warrior by david morehouse for instance. This is a former CIA remote viewer>>>just go on google search you will find lots of read - no need to buy the book

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well i've recently been looking at the mayans and alot of the mentions
of 2012 refered to a new cycle of life begining, so i don't believe that
it's another y2k but something that because we cannot understand some of the ancient civisillations we will only find out then

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
2012 = Mayan Y2K?

Yes.

There are going to be alot of disappointed people come 2013....

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
www.2012.com.au...

I found this link , I hope it answers your question ..

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Y2K was a computer glitch....2012 has been predicted and talked about for thousands of years.

It's not a "misadventure", it's an adventure. Lol. It's a transformation. We are the ones who decide whether it turns out good or bad.

As for evidence, look in your daily life. Things are changing at an accelerated pace. Can you really see the world continuing to head in the direction it is heading in for more than several years??? Weather is destabilizing. Politics are destabilizing. People are changing - the Internet is rife of other conspiracy sites and forums! People are talking about subjects they have never talked about before, as evidenced by this very forum. Even several years ago, people weren't as focused on these subjects. UFO sightings and strange phenomena are experienced more than ever before. The news is more restrictive and controlling than ever before. See the pattern?? Old structures of our lives are breaking apart!

2012 is not just a big sudden change! It's happening right now, right here, and many people are realizing it, and that's why they are talking about it more and more.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
There was a link here earlier talking about some remote viewing Tibet monks see us getting thru 2012. An out of this world Phenomena lend us a helping hand.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
but what if those monks were jsut saying that to keep the worlds hopes up... how many people do you think would panic and go on killing spree's if they heard from those monks in perticular that the world was going to end???

jsut useful thinking , not pesimism(spelling?
:puz

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ivanglam
but what if those monks were jsut saying that to keep the worlds hopes up... how many people do you think would panic and go on killing spree's if they heard from those monks in perticular that the world was going to end???

Never occurs to me that monks would lie...

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by damefool

Originally posted by ivanglam

Never occurs to me that monks would lie...

well why wouldnt they if they indeed did see the 'end of the world' in 1012.
like i said. telling the world of such and even would throw the world into mass chaos.
not leaving anytime for the NWO to come in

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The Mayans had a cyclical system for measuring time, not entirely unlike our system of months, years, decades, centuries, etc. Obviously the beginning of a new cycle had significance. This is a phenomenon of human psychology which can be seen in our own culture.
The implications of disaster come from two places.

The Mayan solar calendar, called the Haab, consisted of 18 months of 20 days each, plus 5 leftover days. These "nameless days" were called the Wayeb. Because these days had no place in their concept of orderly cyclical time, they naturally became associated with disorder. Taken from Wikipedia:"During Wayeb, portals between the mortal realm and the Underworld dissolved. No boundaries prevented the ill-intending deities from causing disasters." The Wayeb were at the end of the year, and this created an association between the end of a time cycle to disasters.

The next reason comes from the Popul Vuh- the religious text of the Mayans.

quote from wikipedia The Popal Vuh describes the first three worlds that the gods failed in making and the creation of the successful fourth world where men were placed. The Maya believed that the fourth world would end in catastrophe and the fifth and final world would be created that would signal the end of mankind.

That belief from the Popul Vuh is what created the stir about 2012, because that is when the long-count calendar will reset to zero, signaling the beginning of the 5th and final world, according to Mayan beliefs.

I've also run into a spooky fact for believers: the numbers 20 and 13 are important to the myans and are theorized to be the basis for their calendar. By strange coincidence, our unrelated calendar will be approaching 2013 just as the mayan calendar runs out.

The exact origin of the Tzol�kin is not known, but there are several theories. One theory is that the calendar came from mathematical operations based on the numbers thirteen and twenty, which were important numbers to the Maya.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
That belief from the Popul Vuh is what created the stir about 2012, because that is when the long-count calendar will reset to zero, signaling the beginning of the 5th and final world, according to Mayan beliefs.

I've also run into a spooky fact for believers: the numbers 20 and 13 are important to the myans and are theorized to be the basis for their calendar. By strange coincidence, our unrelated calendar will be approaching 2013 just as the mayan calendar runs out.

also, 2+0+1+2 = 5
2012. 5th world.

also - i think what pavel said is very important.

I think we're approaching a Y in the road ahead. Whether we choose the 'good' path or the 'destructive' path, and where we stand in 2013, is up to us.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

The Popul Vuh is quite an interesting read. I noticed that quite a few lines of the story runs along with what the Bible says of creation. They even mentioned a great flood.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Some information can be found here:
www.experiencefestival.com...

If any of you have ever visited experiencefestival.com you would have noticed that it as much enlightening content! These guys are convinced, and to be honest, they've done a decent job of convicing me. Have a read of the many in-depth articles on that site, really, really interesting stuff.

quote:Originally posted by quango
I think we're approaching a Y in the road ahead. Whether we choose the 'good' path or the 'destructive' path, and where we stand in 2013, is up to us.

I agree with you here. If 'critical mass' is not achived by 2012, the end is nigh, but if it is (which aparently were on track for), then the heavens will open!

'Critical mass' is related to global enlightment. More:

From www.experiencefestival.com...
This is now a daily and rapidly growing occurence, as hundreds of people from all over India are coming for this diksha every day. Kalki says that once a critical mass of 64,000 has been reached (one out of every 100,000 people on Earth), a wave of enlightenment will sweep the planet, and anyone who has become enlightened will be able to go out and enlighten others. At this rate, the 64,000 will happen in less than two years!

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
The Popul Vuh is quite an interesting read. I noticed that quite a few lines of the story runs along with what the Bible says of creation. They even mentioned a great flood.

I just read the first 5 chapters- it's incredible. It feels like a slightly mangled version of the book of genesis. It looks like I've got a new addition to the list of books I plan to read but probably will never get around to.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Recently I visted some of the Mayan ruins in Belize. Our tour guide, of Mayan descent, was one of the most happy people I have ever met. But he was also convinced that *something* would happen when the Mayan calender ends (or enters a new cycle). His philosophy seemed to be live each day to the fullest, especially where family is concerned. He spoke of bad things happening in coming years (a Mayan prediction or a comment on the world as it is today, I don't know) but he was happy for every day he had.

Just thought I'd share a Mayan's perspective.

[edit on 6-1-2005 by Cercey]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You have less than two years to the end of the Mayan calendar. When January 1, 2007 comes around and the world as we know it is still functioning, then this story takes its place alongside other myths.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join