It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online bravado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have a question for ATS'ers. Does anyone else find this whole online bravado persona simply ridiculous? You know the ones I am talking about; the people who end a post with...take my guns and there will be trouble, just try and take them and you will leave dead or my all time fav...out of my cold dead hands.
. I mean do these people actually think they instill fear or appear "tough" or do they simply come off as ridiculous?
Is it just me or do you picture these people getting one shot off before being killed or simply urinating themselves when faced with an actual situation? Should they stop making fools of themselves or let them actually believe they are impressing people?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Armchair bandits are ten a penny on the Internet...ATS has a few too. They possibly have their fantasy lives mixed in with their real lives.

I've read the same daft quotes many times and move on. Rambo wannabes

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Yeah, kinda ridiculous, but I think you should look at it more like there are people that really believe strongly about these things.

You're probably right about most of them, that if they were actually faced with a situation like they describe wouldn't have a clue how they'd react, but that doesn't change how strongly they feel about the situation.

The Constitution's kind of a big deal, and it should be. But you're right, people should be putting more action down and less lip service.

Although, there are those around here that when they say things like that, not only do they mean it, but they can actually do it. Stick around long enough, and you'll find out who they are.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think you're leaving out a very important factor here. Some of us take our right to self defense very seriously. Especially those of us with the training.

While some of it may very well be nothing more than bravado, some of us are very serious when we say "Come and take them!" My family suffered through hell in Cuba and we'll not tolerate the same ever again. This is something you'll have to take at an individual basis.

I take my right to self-defense extremely seriously and I WILL NOT give up that right because I know, from my own family history, that doing so spells disaster.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko Is it just me or do you picture these people getting one shot off before being killed or simply urinating themselves when faced with an actual situation?

I see the same conclusion peolpe talking but no action just feeling around to see if there is anyone else thinking like they are....I just laugh and keep it tmovin lol.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
One individual with a bumper sticker slogan isnt different from another individual with a bumper sticker slogan. "From my cold dead hands" or "Free tibet" it's all about your passions and your need to wear them on your sleeve.

Which is more insecure, the guy assumed to be thumping his chest over some Rambo fantasy or the guy assuming the guy with the NRA sticker on his car only has it there to intimidate him? Is the guy with the "Free Tibet" sticker intimidating anyone? He must be since the display of his concern apparently qualifies as chest thumping bravado.

Both are absurd and require assumptions to be made of the individual in question making the entire thing little more than grade school time wasting.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm not really into the whole gun thing, but I've met many who are. Some are really into the bravado thing and some aren't. In my experience/opinion, it's the quiet ones that are more likely to be ready for the SHTF. The ones with the bunker full of Spam are usually the loud ones. The quiet ones will just melt into the scenery.....

I can't help but think about the Branch Davidians/Waco, the Noriega seige, the 2-mile sniper shot, Tora Bora and the MOAB, Bonny & Clyde... If they (TPTB) want to get you, they will. Short of being a large army, you won't last long. They have the toys, the training, the time and the will. If you're holed up with your precious 2nd Amendment and a bunch of deer hunting assault rifles, and they don't like it, you're gonna find yourself in a very lonely position.

Good luck to you. I really mean that. I'm just not betting on you winning.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It seems rather irresponsible to me to hope or expect people to take some sort of action. We've seen a string a nut jobs who thought it a good idea to take action and only innocent people got hurt.

What kind of action would you like to see these people take?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

more like to many people playing computer games and mixing fantasy with relaity

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
There is really only one way to get closure on this matter.
U2U some of them,
take the first one that volunteers his/her address,
go to their home,
meet them,

and try to take their guns.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Thing is, everyone's a tough guy behind the anonymity of a computer screen.

I've seen people at work lamenting about their forum escapades at the coffee machine. And these guys are pathetic, cowering sheep when confronted face-to-face.

It's more prevelant, I think, amongst the younger crowd; during the ages when a person is searching for a persona.

Having said that, I'm a world renowed MMA champ/Ninja/ex-SAS, so no one mess with me!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have more balls face to face than on the net! i'm no good arguing over a keyboard, weird
I just don't like making a tit of myself anywhere tbh, internet or otherwise, it's still me no point pretending!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
and try to take their guns.

That's some AWESOME advice!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice eye.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I know for a fact that if someone attacked me, the first thing I would do is look for a way to escape. Take my property. Go for it. That gives me time to run.

Cowardice can also be called a healthy dose of self-preservation instinct.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
As being a patriotic American and believing in our Constitutional right to bear arms, it's important that we are allowed to bear arms. I was in the Army for 5 yrs, served 4 in Afghanistan. So, I know a thing or two. However, my father used to say that "strong men walk in silence." and this is very true. Unless you just happen to mess with that ONE who's really not all there and means what they say. But, I am convinced 98% of them are just internet gangsters.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I am not against the right to bare arms. I am against the people who--as was stated--can be oh so brave and opinionated until it really counts.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlequinRaven
I know for a fact that if someone attacked me, the first thing I would do is look for a way to escape. Take my property. Go for it. That gives me time to run.

Cowardice can also be called a healthy dose of self-preservation instinct.

I agree with you, can be and is a good thing in many situations!!! as is the reverse!

new topics

top topics

join