It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Deny Ignorance is Ignorant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
To Deny Ignorance is Ignorant.

On a daily basis the Above Top Secret mantra of “deny ignorance” is used in countless threads as to suggest a superior knowledge, greater understanding, superiority or even as a thinly veiled insult to invoke a self gratification which coincides with a proven point. Invariably by people that the ethos of unity a mutual respect of a fellow seeker is entirely lost on.

It seems it has come to a time that the mutual respect I once much admired has near entirely come to be nothing but a distant memory, a long past and distant memory of what was arguably the golden age. Denying ignorance has come to be redefined, no longer portraying the message that one must seek out proven facts and share ones knowledge and views.

Now we are at a time of such popularity, seemingly only a few appreciate the fact that 50% of views must be incorrect in order to generate conversation, to create forum. Being incorrect (contrary to our/your belief) should be accepted, and then politely corrected with factual evidence and/or discussed. We now frequent an environment where if you are wrong, you are sounded out and made to be ashamed of having misunderstood.

To deny ignorance is impossible when used by two sets of believers, clearly at all times when a contrasting theory is stated one theory is incorrect. People are often assured of there own beliefs, show great conviction when labelling another fellow truth seeker a sheep, dis-info agent or any other or the more increasing trends.

I believe the mantra of 'Deny Ignorance' is increasing this problem, encouraging people to deny strongly anything which is contrary to their own theories. Denying in a passionate way so abruptly, and so strongly adhered to the mantra of denying ignorance that at every conceivable opportunity they must fight for the cause of denying ignorance. Encouraged by the belief, and almost indoctrination that if it be contrary to ones belief ignorance must indeed be denied adamantly.

Indeed ignorance should be fought, but to deny ignorance without basis as is so often the case is certainly not the desired effect of the mantra. This is an issue across the interweb I realise, however ignorance at times is particularly strong here on Above Top Secret.

I am ignorant, ignorant of so many facts and teachings which I have not been fortunate enough to be permitted, crossed, or intelligent enough to comprehend. I am attempting to deny ignorance, in a way in which I feel true to the intended meaning. Denial of ignorance by means shared knowledge, teachings, ideas and seeking new truths. Many however are not so inclined, in part I feel due to the mantra.

This proposition of mine is given in the humblest way possible, I would like to see a new mantra. A mantra more definitive and clear for people of all continents and intelligence to easily understand. I could not hope to alone to conclude what this should be. So I post here saying, to deny ignorance is to be ignorant. So should we not instead adopt the mantra that suggests 'Disprove Ignorance' or something which will be suggested more appropriate.

'Deny ignorance' for me, is quite possibly increasing ignorance.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the social disease of history that has clouded our minds and dulled our brains. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

@ www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ignorance is in the eye's of it's beholder.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

i know what you mean, i hate how the sites slogan has become an insult people tend to use to feel superior,

I find nothing more annoying then someone ending there (generally insulting) reply with "deny ignorance"

its an action, not an insult, i wish folks would stop trying to use it as such.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I do not deny your truth.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
From where I view, I feel that you have a different interpretation than I do when it comes to what "deny ignorance" means. I might even go so far as to say that your interpretation differs greatly from many of the visitors to this site.

In my mind, when there are two opposing theories, one of the theories is NOT, by default, correct. So I think we're together on that one.

Denying ignorance, from my perspective, doesn't mean hanging tough to a theory that you believe, and cutting down any opposing theory. That, my friend, is ignorance on display. Maybe that's what you're saying.

What you may be seeing is a small, bad example of the slogan being applied. As you know, ignorance is defined as the lack of knowledge.

What you are you referring to in your thread, I believe, is "deny stubbornness."

Sorry. That slogan is impossible.

Not going to be able to do much about that.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The motto should be deny stupidity.
You put it perfectly when you proclaimed your ignorance of so many things, and I agree, I'm ignorant, I think we all are.
We come to forums like this to challenge ourselves, our world view, to curb our ignorance of things unknown.
When we choose to deny evidence or listen to argument, we are choosing to be ignorant.

And I think stupidity is the result of choosing to be ignorant.
(or) Denying evidence which is contrary to a world view.

new topics

top topics

join