It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriage No Longer A Choice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hello, names chase. I have a question for ats.

You see i am in highschool and it seems like every text book and teacher is trying to force marriage on me. Dont get me wrong i have nothing against married people my parents are, hell i might be one day. But i dont understand why you have to have a piece of paper prove you love someone. Not to mention the current divorce rate. Anyways today i got in a huge arguement with my health teacher when she tried to tell me that marriage would keep me from ever having a std. Now i just dont understand why school/gov./everyone is so big on forcing it on me. Also I am right in the arguement correct? (please excuse grammar typing on phone.) ~chase out

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
marriage will keep you from getting a STD so long as neither party cheats of course.
As far as that goes, soo will abstanance.

Marriage is a religious ceremony...is this a religious school? if its not, and bugging you, say your a pagan and you dont believe in christian rituals...(might get a laugh out of his/her confusion)

and yes, the divorce rate is spiked through the roof...people get married young and quickly lose interest. Frankly, nobody should get married until they hit 30 imo.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You make some very good points, Chase.

I agree with you, 100%.

I know several couples that have been together for many years, are just as happy and close as they would be if they were married - But they don't want to get married!

People can be together, and be just as happy, without state agencies needing to interfere in their relationship. I do not care enough for the government to have yet ANOTHER file on me. I can love who I want without needing to be 'licensed' to do so.

Make sense?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
When you apply for a license you are asking the state's permission to get married. Why should you have to ask permission?

Marriage is no guarantee you will not get std.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

what if the person you love already has a std? it magically disapears? and no its not religious, but alot of people go to church with me there so cant pretend to be pagan

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

i know haha I dont want to have to prove anything to the united states of embarrassment

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

i know i told the teacher that if she believes that she doesnt deserve to be a health teacher. so i got detention :/ eh oh well

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Marrage can save you from an STD? LOL! If you can lock her in a basement. Your wife can cheat on you easily, especially if she feels, bored, alone, weepy, scared, vengeful, or a miriad of other things.

If she's like most girls today, she's probably been ridden more than the new york sub way. Never trust them girls or women, and be really weary of them if they will not tell you how many peopel they slept with.

Your best bet would be to go live in the east for a few years get a women with standards and come back to the west.

Marrage will save you from STDs. LOL

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by oppaperclip

hahaha its west virginia what do you expect? half the time i feel like everyone around me is retarded

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Just be aware of the legal end of it.
en.wikipedia.org...

Being married (or not) can change the way you own property ( who owns it after one partner's death) , make medical decisions for you partner (if not married, you're not next of kin) and quite a few other important things. Most of it can be handled by a will or power of attorney and other paperwork, but a lot of people don't ever think about it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I know two people who have lived together for many years but have recently married early. They were planning to get married later on but the main reason they married sooner was because their taxes would be lower. Other than that, not much changed.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I don't agree with what your health teacher was preaching, but there are some advantages to being married.

Taxes - You will receive higher exemptions and are taxed at a lower bracket in most cases.

Health Insurance - It is much easier to add a spouse to a insurance plan then a non married partner. The law is changing slowly in this case, but as of now it is still much easier if you are a married couple.
Auto insurance is generally cheaper for married couples also.

Hospital visits and health decisions - A legal spouse has priority hospital visitation and the power to make health care decisions if the other spouse cannot make the decisions for themselves. One can obtain the power of health decisions through some legal processes, but it is automatic if you are married.

Death and Wills - The surviving spouse has a easier time with life insurance and property issues after death than a unmarried couple. Probate can become a big issue if a couple is unmarried at time of death.

That is all i can think of for now, it comes down to mostly taxes and legality, pretty boring stuff.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

thats fine and all but i thought marriage was about caring for somone? guess i was wrong. I just dont want get married because of anything besides that. (plus im really not wwnting to give my wif e 3/4 of what i own if it dowsnt work out

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaseninja

thats fine and all but i thought marriage was about caring for somone? guess i was wrong. I just dont want get married because of anything besides that. (plus im really not wwnting to give my wif e 3/4 of what i own if it dowsnt work out

Just saying there are things that come with it. Or not.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Marriage, oh sweet sorrow, to be or not to be, that is the question.

Oh I love using Shakespeare.

OP, there are two kinds of marriage, common law and the state ran type of getting a license.

Now, common law is where you have a ceremony where the two people exchange there love and where they swear fealty to each other, like in Romeo and Juliet. They married by common law.

Now marriage in the eyes of the government is a contract between two individuals and is enforced by their courts. It has nothing to do with love.

See the difference.

Deny ignorance and be true to yourself as you would want them, to be true to you.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

well thanks for the info i appreciate it

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

haha truer words were never spoken. is what you said official? or is it like common knowledge?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

Oh yeah, that is official. We were actually talking about this a little while ago in another thread.

Some states though, like California, will say people that have a common law marriage can be forced into marriage contracts by the state.

They use such things as living with someone for a certain length of time as the basis of saying the marriage contract was consummated or agreed to.

I do not know the legal terminology so well though.

But yes, getting married by the state, requires people to follow the law that the government has set forth.

That is why you have family court or juvenile court. They enforce contractual law of marriage and such.

It is quite an in depth discussion though. I could falter on explanations because law is so...............all encompassing.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

Marriage isn't entirely useless. Marriage gives you rights to the other person, and gives that other person rights to you. For instance, in the case if a serious illness you would have the final say on how that person is treated according to how he/she told you what they want if they could not communicate. Without marriage the hospital is probably going to tell you to take a hike, and his/her wishes will not be followed. It would also pretty much guarantee visits that would otherwise be denied. There are advantages. You could get on a spouses health insurance, for instance.

There's a reason that homosexuals are fighting for the same right for recognized marriages... the advantages. No, a 'domestic partnership' isn't the same thing, and has limitations that aren't present in a secular recognized marriage. That's right, I said 'secular marriage'. One where you get a license, find a JP, and get it done. Religion only enters into it if you want it to enter into it. People talk of 'pagan' marriage, but the state still requires the license and certificate. Any JP can do it, there are probably other secular people that can do it, or you can find an ordained minister to just say the words and sign the paper.

It's really not all that bad a thing if a person is ready for it. It's too bad that some people push really hard for it, but they are probably traditionalists that are unable the voice properly the advantages of it if a person is comitted to the other person instead of just dating them.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

wow i learn something new everyday thanka

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join