It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orbiting stars circle each other in minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Record-setting duo may be a test-bed for detecting gravitational waves

By Adam Hadhazy
updated 6:38 p.m. ET, Tues., March. 9, 2010

After a decade of mystery, astronomers have now shown that a pair of white dwarf stars spin around each other in just 5.4 minutes, making them the fastest-orbiting and tightest binary star system ever found, the researchers claim.

The record-setting stellar duo, known as HM Cancri or RX J0806.3+1527, offer challenges in explaining how such a system might form. The super-quick stars may also present a great future test-bed for detecting gravitational waves, which are elusive ripples in space-time.

Researchers say the stars in HM Cancri are so near to one another - about a quarter of the distance between the Earth and the moon - that they could not get much closer without smushing together.

More at:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What happens when one sun eventually gets too close to the other one? Will the star explode or morph into one larger star?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
What happens when one sun eventually gets too close to the other one? Will the star explode or morph into one larger star?

"A five-minute orbit is about as close as two white dwarf stars can get without merging," said Danny Steeghs, an astrophysicist at the University of Warwick, and co-author of a new paper describing the results.

He uses the word "merging" and the article says the heavier star is gravitationally stealing matter from its nearby companion , so it may be that one star just gets larger as the other get smaller.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

Seriously amazing though. The forces involved are unimaginable.
A strange and wonderful galaxy.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
holy tamoly! thats pretty insane...

i just done some really haggered maths, to try and get some conception of the speeds needed for a planet/star to orbit a close by star!

now, these are really rough (lol) ... and basicly, as i dont know any sizes, i used the diameter of the sun (sol), to get round the sun in 5 minutes , the planet would need to be travelling at 116000 km/h !

now, if the stars are bigger, then it woudl be even faster!! smaller stars = slower!

although, i done some more randomly haggered maths, and the earth travels at 107469.05 kmh through space! .. .so really, its not going that much faster... although i dont really get that ... i guess its all relative! (lol)

top topics

join