It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sopranos!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I've never watched an episode of this series all the years it was on. Had never read a single review or spoiler on it. The only thing I ever knew of the show was that it "cuts off" at the end and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" is in the finale.

Well I got the 6 seasons on DVD last week and I'm starting it from the beginning.

I'm about 5 episodes into season 1 and I am so into this show!

Shows like Entourage, Lost & The Office are some of my all-time favorite shows. And they all share in the fact that I watched several seasons of the show back-to-back in order to catch up. I find this approach very appealing and it usually benefits in me favoring the show. So while I'm not catching up on the Sopranos, I think in the end I'll find it very favorable to watch it in this format.

But loving this show!

No spoilers, but I'm interested in hearing thoughts from other members on what they thought of the show.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
First couple of seasons are the best, drags on a bit in the middle, over the top in some places (ok many places), the way the series ended is a travesty.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I dont know where you get the idea that the ending just cuts, the one I watched had the best ending I have seen in quite some time, a real cliffhanger....

Cheers!

[edit on 10-3-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I got into Torchwood and True Blood, the same way...watching a season or two on DVD, and then getting hooked. It's nice to not have to wait after the cliffhangers, hehe...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm up to the season finale of season one. I'll be watching it in about an hour and likely watching season 2 premiere right behind it. Very satisfied with the first season so far.

I find on even some of the better shows out there, pilots are rarely "good". At the best of times they usually just plant the seed of hope for an entertaining storyline. Few shows have had great pilots and the Sopranos is one of them.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sopranos is one of my favourite shows of all time. The ending is not so bad if you look at it the right way. Once your done watching it google around for explanations of the ending and it should all become clear.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by TheComte]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

It was one of my favorite shows in TV history, I would rank HBO's other great endeavor, The Wire as their best. I appreciated the ending, particularly after hearing David Chase interviewed regarding the subject.

And as someone who grew up in New Jersey I have a particular affinity for the show and its themes.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm almost half way through season 4 at the moment and have been truly impressed with how consistent this show has been. I can't say I've watched an episode yet that I haven't enjoyed and I like the pace the show runs. They don't try to do too much at once. Although coming on the tail end of each season, a few things are usually predictable and that is a few supporting characters of that season are likely going to be killed off.

There has been only a handful of movies over the years that were able to tell this sort of story and do so genuinely. And of those handful of movies, there are next to no television shows that could. So it's not a stretch to say that the Sopranos is easily in a class of its own.

I have been surprised by one thing though and that is each of the season finales for one, two and three were fairly anti-climactic. Each season is a story unto itself and could almost be told separately. Maybe it changes moving forward (please no spoilers!) but I have been surprised each time so far.

I love the Pauly character. The episode in season 3 where he and Chris are out in the woods chasing a Russian, then they get lost and are stranded for a night. My favorite so far. Pauly's character is as real as they come and I find him hysterical, even though he's not trying to be funny.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

I love the Pauly character. The episode in season 3 where he and Chris are out in the woods chasing a Russian, then they get lost and are stranded for a night. My favorite so far. Pauly's character is as real as they come and I find him hysterical, even though he's not trying to be funny.

Pine Barrens. Generally considered one of the best episodes. In his younger days Paulie was (in real life) an associate of the Colombo crime family.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

It says on IMdB that he only took the role on the agreement that his character would never be a rat.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Pauly's character is as real as they come and I find him hysterical, even though he's not trying to be funny.

One of my absolute favorite scenes in Sopranos. The killer interior decorator in the Pine Barrens episode...

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Later in the episode when it's in the middle of the night and they begin to lose it and turn on one another. Some great dialogue in that episode between those two.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Totally on board with you. I watched the entire series between the second to last season and the final season, so I was all caught up and watched the last season in "real time." Kinda cool, but I love being able to do whole seasons at my pace and not have to wait between seasons (which sometimes can literally stretch into over a year).

Definitely one of the best shows ever. I never got tired of it and never thought it got slow, though some episodes were not as great as others. But I was always totally into it and couldn't wait to see what happened next.

You sound like you would dig Battlestar Galactica and Rome. I did both of those in massive doses, too and loved them both. Seems to me the three shows are essentially the same, just with different settings. Tried those?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

BSG is some of the best TV EVER and I mean EVER produced. I always thought the 70's stuff was cheezy ... and it was. But the whole re-writing (or re-imagining) of the story was brilliant!

Chissler if you like smart drama with politics, philosophy and religion thrown in, do yourself a favour and watch BSG next!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Finished season 4 yesterday and started on season 5 today. I'm on the tail end of the series and it's all starting to become bittersweet. I've got a few days off at the end of the week so I'll likely have a day or two where I push through much of season 5.

BSG? Haven't ever watched a second or even considered it. I know what the DVD covers look like, but I don't think I could even say what the show is about. I always considered it similar to Star Trek or something like that.. which really isn't my sort of thing. Is it? I'm open to suggestions.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
the shield is a pritty good box set

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you liked The Sopranos then I think you would like HBO's other series, The Wire. In my opinion it was even better then Sopranos.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Finished season 4 yesterday and started on season 5 today. I'm on the tail end of the series and it's all starting to become bittersweet. I've got a few days off at the end of the week so I'll likely have a day or two where I push through much of season 5.

BSG? Haven't ever watched a second or even considered it. I know what the DVD covers look like, but I don't think I could even say what the show is about. I always considered it similar to Star Trek or something like that.. which really isn't my sort of thing. Is it? I'm open to suggestions.

no, not like star trek. in fact, i'd argue it's more like the sopranos than star trek. i can promise you you'll love it. at least watch the introductory mini-series that starts it. wish you lived down the street so i could run it down to you.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
also, i stalked you a little bit
and saw you liked lost. more reason why you'll like bg, not that they are extremely similar, but in some ways.

[edit on 3/24/2010 by Hadrian]

[edit on 3/24/2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I've got a few shows lined up at the moment, but I'll throw it on the list and be sure to check it out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join