It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile quake moves city 10 feet Powerful temblor shifts others parts of South America as well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Chile more than a week ago moved the city of Concepción at least 10 feet (3 meters) to the west, seismological measurements indicate.

WOW!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i claim that new 10 feet as my new country
someones got to hurry up and put up some real estate signs and make a quick buck on that new land probably needs some work though

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Whats with all these aftershocks too, i've only been following quakes for a few months now but this is insane, and dare i say it awesome(i know thats messed up but i get a sick kind of thrill out of seeing quakes appear on my broswer).

Valparaiso and Bio Bio are going nuts, well the whole area really, bloody 5.0+ aftershocks.

Feel sorry for the people living around there.

It's amazing to imagine the amount of energy that was stored down there prior to the inital main shock, imagine if it was all released in one go.

Another thing i've noticed alot of these aftershocks and the main shock werent that deep really like all within 50km of the surface, im no expert but i assume the close to the surface the more profound the earth movement would be.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blayze

No, you just need say what your saying differently! You get thrilled by the power of the forces of Mother Earth and her Massive Energy and Power. I learned this when someone said to me once - Anmarie you just like the Chaos -and I thought about it for a moment and said - No that is not true, I am electrified by the energy ;-) Nothing sick about that!!

I have read that there was a tremendous rip in the earth from the Chile Quake. I will try and locate a link tomorrow for you. Not Only did the Quake tear the earth, it also changed time - I'll post that link tomorrow as well - it is only for a fraction of a second, but changed time none the least.

Good start to new Thread!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hey Anmarie! I hadn't heard about the big rip.. looking forward to your post about it. I knew about the time thing.. also Earth was moved 3 inches off her axis.

I too get electrified by quakes..I have never felt a really big one, yet. but when they happen I get really excited.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Inland this time, it looks like....

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.4
Date-Time Wednesday, March 10, 2010 at 02:41:49 UTC
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 at 11:41:49 PM at epicenter

Location 36.855°S, 72.646°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region BIO-BIO, CHILE
Distances 36 km (22 miles) E (94°) from Concepcion, Chile
178 km (110 miles) SSW (209°) from Talca, Chile
211 km (131 miles) N (1°) from Temuco, Chile
414 km (257 miles) SSW (205°) from SANTIAGO, Chile

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.9 km (4.9 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=115, Nph=115, Dmin=467.9 km, Rmss=0.78 sec, Gp= 97°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID us2010trai

[edit on 9-3-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Yeah you're exactly right mate. Hey if you post them links in another thread can you message me the links incase i miss them.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by blayze

Not Only did the Quake tear the earth, it also changed time - I'll post that link tomorrow as well - it is only for a fraction of a second, but changed time none the least.

No it did not! It apparently changed the rotation of the earth which is not the same thing, and in any event this was a theoretical calculation not proven and not able to be proven and, dare I say it, by a scientist!

Now get back on QuakeWatch 2010 you lot!!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Already posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Use to search feature to check next time.

top topics

join