It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

No, we would be demanding he gets persecuted. It wouldn't be the LEO's fault if the guy actually went postal.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

There's a difference between a disgruntled legal gun owner and a disgruntled employee that goes out and stocks up on weapons in one day.

What's wrong with precaution?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You've got a set of circumstances here that I think would give police agencies probable cause to search and impound his guns.

He had some issue at work. Read the article. He had a severe enough issue that his superiors reported this to the police. The police watched and took him into custody so he couldn't hurt himself or others.

Was he a candidate to go "Postal"? None of us know. Most likely we won't find out what his "issue" was at work that led to his dismissal.

I think that the police may have averted a bad situation.

We now will let the courts decide if they acted in a legal and correct fashion.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Control? What was out of control here? To the best of my knowledge, the gentleman in question hadn't actually done anything...except buy some handguns.

No criminal charges have been filed. None. What then was the reason? A flag on a computer screen? Not buying it.

Generally speaking, I don't buy into the Big Brother blather around here...but there are times where I wonder if some aren't on to something...

link   
Wow. That's insane. Because the guy couldnt have been using his new found free time to pick up a new hobby or anything, right?

In CT there's a law on the books that says the cops can confiscate your guns with no more to go on than an anonymous call claiming you are a threat or unstable.

I keep meaning to grab a CT phone book and just start calling in random people as threats. Maybe Lieberman or Dodd for good measure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
reply to post by seagull

Just might want to check the link I posted about a janitor at Ohio State University that did just that today.

Even a psychologist can put you into 72 hour involuntary observation if they have strong reason to believe that you represent a danger to yourself or others.

edit: bad spelling fingers, bad.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection
Let us theorize momentarily ...

If the guy had gone back to his job where he had been laid off and shot the place up and killed some people, hell even if he just killed one person, and then the story came out the the local law enforcement had records of his multi-gun purchase just days before he went on a shooting spree ....

How many of you would be blaming the police force for not acting on their information and stepping in to intervene to stop this mans plans of recourse?

Police step in and stop this man from possibly killing people -
"The police don't care about us, they're out to take away our constitutional rights!"

Police do nothing about the info they have and this man kills people -
"The police don't care about us. They're out to kill us!"

So, which side of the arguement are you going to fall in to?

So are you saying the 'thought police' are a good idea...??...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
They also take this proactive approach for people who buy too much fertilizer as well.

Is the future going to be like " minority report" where people can be charged with simple Intent ??

oh wait, thats already happening, now a days you can go to Jail for simply uttering something.

.... the future is indeed a scary one. This information age combined with a lack of privacy can only lead to what they sought all along: control.

It would not be hard to imagine, ... if one far off day, ... say a guy gets into a fight with his girlfriend, and he happens to go to the store and buy some razor's, .... all of the sudden flags pop up !!! They send paramedics or a social worker to his house to see if he's ok ........

................. and then charge him for it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
And if this disturbed man had of gone and went postal, you would all be singing....Why didn't the LEO do something; the signs were all there.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by whaaa]

And if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped.

Dont let your paranoia control you.

Everyone who is disgruntled is not a murder. Everyone who buys weapons is not crazy.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Missed the link. Thanks.

These events happen. No denying that...and they're horrible, no denying that either. I, however, don't like this "legal" ability to incarcerate for "observation" any time someone "thinks" they might be a danger... What happened to "proof"? Legal doesn't equate to right. My humble opinion, of course.

There is, however, no reason to believe this guy in Oregon was going to do anything of the sort.

I don't like this in the slightest.

[edit on 3/9/2010 by seagull]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hi!

Control - checked out. In the UK recently there have been numerous cases (as covered in threads here) about babies being beaten up and starved despite all the warning signs being there.

So the authorities do nothing and all hell breaks loose. And when the authorities try and run a check as they did here - all hell breaks loose?

An interesting concept manking has - have your cake and eat it?

Peace!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

They also take this proactive approach for people who buy too much fertilizer as well.

Probably, if you buy diesel, are really pissed off about something, and have threatened to blow something up.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Detailed Perfection

What's wrong with actually having a valid reason to do so? Just because he may have had work place issues isn't cause, to my mind, to go and do this...

What's the next reason govt. will use for detaining someone for the "public safety". Seems I recall the old Soviet Union doing much the same thing to political dissidents not too many years ago. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch...but give an inch, govts. have a habit of taking a mile.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

And if this disturbed man had of gone and went postal, you would all be singing....Why didn't the LEO do something; the signs were all there.

And if a frog had winds it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped.

Everyone who is disgruntled is not a murder. Everyone who buys weapons is not crazy.

Me paranoid.....I own plenty of firearms. I'm not in the least bit afraid of them being taken away. And frogs do have winds.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

And if a frog had winds it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped.

Me paranoid.....I own plenty of firearms. I'm not in the least bit afraid of them being taken away. And frogs do have winds.

Gee pardon my typo

You arent the least bit worried about yours being taken away. But anyone who may be mad at their employer? Well, they are surely a threat and they should have THEIRS taken away.

THAT is what you are saying.

Yes, you. Paranoid.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hi Seagull,

There's one hell of a difference between a consipracy and someone doing what they are paid to do - sure Edward Abbey summed up how governments control the poulation some 42 years ago but this is someone working on behaviousrs that were suspicious. And the guy was checked. Possiby did him a real favour.

Forget the name of the girl that was abducted and kept prisoner for 18 years but if it hadn't been for the policewoman working on instincts and behaviousr patterns....?

Peace!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Hi!, right back atcha...

Tugging on the ole heart strings? It's a good tactic, but not one that'll work with me. Most times, anyway...

Because an event has happened, such as the work place shooting that ahabstar linked to, doesn't mean another will. As I've said already, there was no reason to believe, unless he made some sort of overt threat, this gentleman was going to do anything.

Had he made a death threat, then proceeded to go buy these weapons...then yeah, I can see the police knocking on his door to check things out. No argument there, I'm in agreement with you. To the best of my knowledge, there were no threats made. If anyone knows otherwise, please, let me know... I hate being wrong.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The catch to this story is that we don't know all the background information. However, an operation involving 2 counties, SWAT and a hostage negotiator seems a bit overkill for Medford, given mere suspicion without cause. ODOT has stated that there are other matters involved that cannot be released. We are left to speculate without the necessary information to draw conclusion. Who knows, perhaps the guy made a credible verbal threat before leaving work or combined that with whatever else caused his leave... ???

[edit on 9-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hi!

Again, behavioural patterns - ok he might have been worked up (nice way of saying p....ed off) but add guns....

Ok - so maybe everyone that's actually paid to do their job - social workers, probation officers, counsellors, police.... should turn a blind eye and let us all get on with it?

As for heart strings - sorry - I don't have a heart - the strinfg broke (Edgar Broughton).

But to read about the things that the 'authorities' in the UK are supposed to address and are paid to do but don't - really annoys me (read pi***s me off) and if iI was allowed to buy a gun..... :-)

Peace!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well, maybe the guy has a good lawsuit on his hands.

Can't just jail someone for buying a lot of guns.

Course, he could also be crazy and was planning on going all matrix on the place where he lost his job.

Err on the side of caution perhaps? Once it is found that he is sane, maybe he can turn around and sue for the violation of his rights.

Better that than a room full of dead ex co workers I suppose. Everyone is still alive, and the guy will come out better off financially after his lawsuit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join