It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain could force owners to microchip their dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
British dog owners may be forced to microchip their pets and take out insurance, part of a proposed crackdown on the country's dangerous canines.

I've talked to many people regarding the possible conspiracy in a forceful micro-chipping of a species..and the feedback I've got is that this is just progressive technology used to a good purpose.

I think this may be a red flag for something bigger.

www.mail.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashley_T

Or a Government response to over 100 dog attacks a week (25 of which are Children, several die each year from being attacked by illegal breeds or dangerous animals) in a country where teenage gangs use them as status symbols and weapons to intimdate and harm their victims.

By making people pay for insurance to protect 3rd parties and chipping so dangerous breeds can be tracked and destroyed, they will hopefully put an end to this fad of using animals as weapons.

And if your unfortunate enough to be a victim of an attack, you know the other party is insured and any loss on your behalf will be covered by them and their insurers, not the State as it is now.

I see this as a good thing.

EDIT: I hate dogs. If one ever attacked me, it would need insurance... Shoot them all..

[edit on 9/3/10 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I don't like dogs...cat person myself by I can't really get into shooting them all...now for the rest of it I could agree if that is the case. I see no issue in chipping. All the cats/dogs I have ever had were chipped. I lost my cat once...back 3 days later thanks to the chip

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Both my dogs are chipped as they're rescue dogs, and they chip all their animals. They're not insured yet, but I am thinking of having Mr Tyler insured, as he is rather boistrous, and could easily hurt a kid accidentally. I do put him on a lead when we're walking by people with kids for this reason, he comes back to call, (we had lessons, he/we came bottom of the class cos he wanted to play with all the other puppies
) but that's not the point. I'd be devestated if something bad happened.

Completly ignoring reactionary BS from the anti dog. I'm a bit on the fence with the insurance thing. For one, I hate insurance and think it CAN BE a bit of a useless rip off. (exeptions for when you're insuring something that could potentially be harmful to others) Just another way to extract money out of us. But, in this case, I guess insurance wouldn't be a bad idea. (might even be a good business venture to jump on, given the way this is going to go) I'd prefer to see it go down the road of "people take responsibility for their actions" and leave it out of the hands of those who just want your money. Maybe a thing where if you buy a dog, you HAVE to train it, and yourself. And harsher penatlies for those why use a dog like a weapon maybe.

I dunno, it's not a black and white case, and as usual, it's the innocent responsible dog owners who'll be made to pay for a few idiots.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I've been attacked twice by dogs since Christmas - one needed looking at in hospital, for a couple of stitches and, most importantly, a tetanus jab (thanks NHS!). Both times the dog was with people who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. The second time, it was a small, youngish dog and to my shame, as it went for me, I grabbed its collar and hurled the dog over the fence behind me and confronted the two chavs who owned the dog but didn't think it necessary to have it on a lead.

It's a serious problem where I live. I know of people that are being threatened with dogs in the same way that, in recent past, they'd have been threatened with knives in an attempt to make them hand over their phones and their wallets. Funny how all these 'dog lovers' only have certain types of dogs too isn't it?

Also, many young trees (as planted by the council and paid for by the taxpayer) are being ruined as many of these pillocks train their dogs by getting them to tear bark of the base of the tree or to jump for the lower branches.

I consider myself an animal lover and my partner and I have taken in numerous rescued animals over the years, and have regularly donated to animal charities and I see this as a good thing. In the short term, it's going to cause problems with abandoned dogs and so on, but I think it will go some way to stemming this penis insecurity masquerading as machismo and reduce the amount of idiots who own and train dogs in this way. I really doubt many of these dogs have much of a life anyway, so whilst it might give many of the dogs around now an uncertain future, there's a good chance that generations of dogs to come won't be born into a #ty life where they are no more than a status symbol and a penis extension.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I could see both sides of this issue. Yes it is collecting information on the owners.

On the other hand, I could see huge benefits.

Not only could it be used to hold dog fighters liable. It could be used to hold those neglecting or abusing animals responsible. When everyone can cry: not my dog. And no one is held liable.

This might also start reducing the amount of lost and abandoned animals, that can be traced back to their owners.

The difference between people and dogs is that dogs depend on humans for their survival, humans have taken an animal and made it completely dependant on them. We have an obligation to keep them safe and persecute those who don't.

As for the cost of tax and insurance or whatever. Dogs are expensive. Pets are expensive. If you can't afford to take care of that animal, then you shouldn't have one.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I am more of a dog person than a cat person. I like the idea of all dogs being chipped. I am not sure about the insurance side though. I don' t like the way the two have been joined together.

Insurance is a bit of a black art to me but that is another op.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My Malamute is already chipped and insured and she was chipped as a puppy.

I think that insurance and chipping for all dogs protects not only people and gives them a responsibility but it also protects the dogs too. I can see only good things to come from such measures as I love dogs and I would even go so far as to say I prefer their company to humans generally speaking because I can trust a dog to be a dog yet I can usually trust a human to be unworthy of my trust!

If this is a precursor to a wider chipping program for the human population I say bring it on because the only way I will be getting chipped is after “they” have put a bullet in my brain because I will not be chipped while I breath that is for sure.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Hi,

First; I'm a dog person.

Having lived in the UK I see two levels (or if I'm really cynical- three);

1) It is to contol these gang symbols and to track dangerous animals
2) It is to reduce the call on the National Health Service (as are most things like taxes on smoking, obesity, airport tax etc...)

And 3?

Wonder who own shares in the insurance comanies....???

Peace!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Totally agree with you there mate, I'd personally love to have a dog but cannot stand the mess and noise they make so don't have any.

I agree with most sensible proposals to make dog (and cat) owners take full responsibility for their pets and the damage or nuisance they may cause.

I have recently been set upon by an old lady for stamping on her dogs head and making it yelp like hell, some people would consider it cruel or insensitive blah blah. I was on a cycle riding on a cycle track doing a fair lick if a dog bites me or knocks me knocks off (which has happened a few times) I'm the one that pays the price.

It is bad enough having dog/cat turd on your feet but when these animals are ruining the lives of so many children it's time to do something.

To my mind the simplest solution is getting every dog and cat chipped and insured and every dog should be muzzled in a public place. All stray dogs not chipped to be put down and those that are to incur a hefty recovery cost.

Extreme ? So is the facial reconstruction of a 6 year old.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
All male cat people are gay IMO. Not an accusation, just an observation.
Cats - owned by lazy people who meed a pet which looks after itself. Cats stink, crap in other peoples gardens and walk over your kitchen work surfaces. They are responsible for decimating our wildllife,
If I catch a cat stalking birds in my garden, I will stick a boot up its furry behind.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yodagod

Extreme ? So is the facial reconstruction of a 6 year old.

What if the kid has a cleft palate?

But anyway, I think there could be problems like you can't chip twice like the breeder already chipped the dog to go back to the breeder, and not you.

My sister has this problem, the breeder chipped her dog, so the dog won't go back to her- it'll go to the breeder.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I live in Germany, and over here dogs are required to be taxed, and various municipalities are pushing for mandatory insurance, too.

Chipping makes perfect sense. If your dog runs away, or is stolen, they can be traced back to you. They can also then get a pet passport, and the required shots to allow them to travel within various parts of the EU without the need for quarantine.

Both my dogs are chipped, as they are rescue dogs (one from Greece, one from Spain). It's no bizarre thing.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

What the hell kind of question is that ?

But anyway, I think there could be problems like you can't chip twice like the breeder already chipped the dog to go back to the breeder, and not you. My sister has this problem, the breeder chipped her dog, so the dog won't go back to her- it'll go to the breeder.

Dude, if supermarket can trace a steak right back to the grandfather of the steer (cow) it came from I doubt very much if a way to trace a cat or dog can't be found.

This is not rocket science it can be done and to my mind should be done, I personally would also propose that all owners are only allowed buy or receive a neutered dog unless they have a license to breed a dog /cat.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

If I catch a cat stalking birds in my garden, I will stick a boot up its furry behind.

A good way to get rid of cats that are fouling your garden etc is to put out some tinned fish mixed with antifreeze, they don't come back in a hurry after that. Another cool trick is to smear industrial grease over your fences, let the cat/dog owner get that crap out of their rug or furnishings.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yodagod

posted by star in a jar

posted by yodagod

What the hell kind of question is that?

LOL I never heard of a 6 year old kid getting facial surgery to make him/her prettier, only to correct some kind of injury or problem. Hardly "extreme" in my opinion.

God forbid someone puts antifreeze in your food re: poisoning cats

[edit on 9-3-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

And if your unfortunate enough to be a victim of an attack, you know the other party is insured and any loss on your behalf will be covered by them and their insurers, not the State as it is now.

Bet that clause is void if you get bitten by a Police Alsatian....

[edit on 9-3-2010 by KingDoey]

top topics

join