It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to make fishing illegal ANYWHERE!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Dried jellyfish? Tastes like chicken with a little kick

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The knee-jerk reactions never cease to amaze me.

Tell someone that they won't be able to do something that they've done all their lives and see what happens. Even when it's not true. The research is NOT going to affect private fishing at all. If there were to be a ban, it would be for commercial or industry fishing. And it wouldn't be across the board even if there was a ban enacted.

Some of you people are so easy to control, it's pathetic...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Another thing, it makes me sad that you get to vote... incompetence should be illegal....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In the cited article the very first sentence says and I quote:

some of the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

Therefore the title of your threat is totally misleading and the mods should have called you on this.

Do you have any clue what they are talking about here? It is one of several strategies being looked at to try and rebuild our crashing fisheries stocks (like Salmon) and not some nefarious plot to take away more of our rights.

JEZZ people use your brains.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
The topic says it all. Obama is planning to make it illegal to fish in any of the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

Fishing is illegal

This seems like the first step towards it being illegal to grow or capture your own food. Only the governments poison food is legal to eat. We wouldn't want the dumb American slave to be able to live a long and prosperous life now would we?

Thoughts and comments on this madness are always welcomed

The timing of this topic is interesting for me. Just last night I was doing my "Environmental Science" homework and it was about the fish populations.

According to scientist, experts, etc we are currently overfishing many parts of the world to the point that many species will be extinct in the not too distant future. The article you linked says the White house isn't considering the fishing business with this kind of decision but I would argue that they are.

One defense that the fishing industry uses, is that yields are remaining steady, so how can the fish populations be declining. The explanation for that is...Fishing boats are working more hours than in the past and using highly sophisticated government submarine detecting equipment to find fish. They are taking in the same amount of fish as before when the getting was good. Only now, they are taking the last remaining fish out there.

There was a similar incident involving one of the fish types in the great lakes who's population was down 99%. They banned fishing for this fish hoping it would rebound but unfortunately they never did because one of it's prior prey eats them before they mature, so they never get large enough to defend themselves against their former prey.

This administration could be taking advice from people who know that in the future the fish may be all gone, because as of right now, the way we are fishing is unsustainable in the long term (and possibly the short term). Without fish, you have no fishing business.

Just another perspective to consider, if you're willing to challenge your own beliefs.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish

Originally posted by DJW001
Did you actually read the article? It never says "will." The issue is that, in order to allow fish stock to recover from over-fishing, the administration is considering unilateral moratoria... over-riding traditional state game boards and commercial regulatory agencies. The sports fishing industry objects, fearing arbitrary bans. If commercial fishing continues at the current levels, important species like blue fin tuna will go extinct, and we'll all have to eat dried jellyfish instead. The article was alarmist enough. Your misinterpretation is ridiculous.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by DJW001]

Will go extinct? Says who? The same people who say we've been in a population explosion for 50 years? Same people who say we're in a Global meltdown?

It's well known that we've been in a population explosion, and it's also well known that species are going extinct. Groups are fighting to save these species. You may want to actual google "population statistics," or "fish population statistics" before you discount the claim. It will take you about 5 min to find a credible source.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The ignorance in the OP and many of the replies is astounding.

Word of advice.

You may want to take 30 min or so and research what you are about to say instead of jumping to a conclusion and assuming it's true.

Deny ignorance?

FFS

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5
The ignorance in the OP and many of the replies is astounding.

Word of advice.

You may want to take 30 min or so and research what you are about to say instead of jumping to a conclusion and assuming it's true.

Deny ignorance?

FFS

Honestly, good thing people like you, DJW001 (and the others that pointed the idiocy of the OP) are still around the ATS. It has been hard to read some of the stuff in this website lately. Most of it looks like people trying to get a negative reaction from the other members and do anything they can to get people to hate their government. Seas are being overfished, plain and simple. Some control is needed to ensure that the individual fishing guys and even you recreational fishermen have something to "fish" in the following years.

We should be praising the administration for actions like these, not bashing it!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I agree with you. I wasn't going to put a reply because it didn't seem to be enough to warrant one, but someone else criticized you for saying you thought the original post was ridiculous. While I won't approve of your name-calling, I completely feel the frustration.

People on ATS love getting attention for their threads or showing off a blue bar. Or, maybe they want to believe life is so unfair and miserable. I don't feel good about many things, but I would not not read an article carefully. If anything, if I suspected ill intent, I'd re-read it to make sure I got it right.

ATS is severely polluted with people who post things based on feeling and based on possibilities (feelings that something is possible!). Who wants to spend the time to sit through another article that says speculates? I'm tired of it. It really is embarrassing to be a member of this site, and yet there are a few things I can find here that are harder to find elsewhere...so here I am.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hey you ain't lived until you've eaten died squid jerky. Yummy! I had it in Japan and Korea...what passes out of you the next day, should be illegal.

Sea slugs are another gastronomical delight I would just as soon pass on...edible sure, but outright nasty.

Octopus tentacle/ drop egg soup with noodles is good, but pricey. Chewy, and tastes like crab sorta...

I was at a sushi bar where they had fresh Blow Fish. Being an American, I was offered first bite; free! I said no thanks...you try it first, and I'll watch to see if you drop dead! Laughter...no takers.

I'll stick to Red Lobsters wood fired Trout dinner. It's a best buy. Safer too.

The trout are farm raised...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think it's safe to say you don't have to fish to eat these days.

Don't fish, thanks.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Reclaimyourmind420

Ah Blue Fin Tin -- well known to be overfished (thanks to Japan)....

Now about those nuke plants - Obama is OWNED by the Nuke industry -- which, btw, produces some very nice two-headed fish I think.

So just think -- two fish for one -- thanks to Chi-town.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

fish are full of mercury so they are poison anyway but yes they working on illegality of backyard vegetables too

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Looks like I'll be joining all the hillbillies and backwoods hicks down at the fishing hole, drinking beer drowning worms and daring Obama to come take my rod and reel out my hands

Would add more but I suddenly feel the urge to double check my guns and ammo supply

But have you told your Congressman your opinion on this power grab?
writerep.house.gov...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm sure when passed, it will require rod & reel registration.

They can take my tackle from my cold dead hands.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This will not happen as Native American Indian Nations have full legal authourity over their waters and all the States/Commonwealths have to do is exercise their 10th Amendment rights and this is stopped cold. Current facilities who have a ""catch and release" law on their books already can stop it too.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join