It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012-ISM dust-Cosmic Rays-Global/Solar System Warming-Possible beginning of ICE AGE

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets. Dmitriev offers compelling evidence that matter and energy containing ions of hydrogen and helium and hydroxyl are entering our solar system in increasing numbers that are having powerful effects on all our planets. Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory. Even more fascinating is what NASA has not said. In its travel through interstellar space, the Heliosphere travels in the direction of the Solar Apex in the Hercules Constellation. On its way it has met (1960's) non-homogeneities of matter and energy containing ions of Hydrogen, Helium, and Hydroxyl in addition to other elements and combinations. Schoenberg (1964) has shown that dust clouds have a FAR FROM random alignment, and that they show a strong preference for apparent elongation along the plane. Dense dust clouds show a definite tendency to align themselves parallel to the galactic plane. "The time of the entry into the G-cloud is unknown, but is expected to occur ANY TIME in the next 10,000 years...There will be a constant increase in dust rates, because the G-cloud is more dense than the local interstellar cloud that is now surrounding our Sun." This kind of interstellar space dispersed plasma is presented by magnetized strip structures and striations. The Heliosphere [solar system] transition through this structure has led to an increase of the shock wave in front of the Solar System from 3 to 4 AU, to 40 AU, or more. This shock wave thickening has caused the formation of a collusive plasma in a parietal layer, which has led to a plasma overdraft around the Solar System, and then to its breakthrough into interplanetary domains. This breakthrough constitutes a kind of matter and energy donation made by interplanetary space to our Solar System. Since the launch of IBEX: By monitoring the shape and distribution of this ENA ribbon, we can see how it changes with time. The Local Fluff is entirely surrounded by remnants of a massive formation of a high-pressure supernova exhaust, a cloud of gas heated to millions of degrees, and should have therefore been dispersed or destroyed a long time ago. However, it would now appear that the strong magnetic field outside our solar system can provide the extra pressure required to resist destruction keeping the helium and hydrogen atoms, all heated to about 6,000 degrees Celsius. As the solar system passes through interstellar space (and the Local Fluff), this external magnetic field can squash and squeeze our heliosphere. "Voyager data show that the Fluff is much more strongly magnetized than anyone had previously suspected—between 4 and 5 microgauss*," says Opher. We find that the field strength in the local interstellar medium is 3.7–5.5 μG. The field is tilted ~20–30° from the interstellar medium flow direction (resulting from the peculiar motion of the Sun in the Galaxy) and is at an angle of about 30° from the Galactic plane. As suggested in recent publications relating LIC properties to the radio Emission observed by Voyager 1 Magnetic fields play an important (sometimes dominant) role in the evolution of gas clouds in the Galaxy. Until ten years ago, most astronomers did not believe stardust could enter our Solar System. Then ESA's Ulysses space probe discovered minute stardust particles leaking through the Sun's magnetic shield, into the realm of Earth and the other planets. Now, the same space probe has shown that a flood of dusty particles is heading our way. Since early 1992 Ulysses has been monitoring the stream of stardust flowing through our Solar System. Stardust is embedded in the local galactic cloud through which the Sun is moving at a speed of 26 kilometers every second. As a result of this relative motion, a single dust grain takes twenty years to traverse the Solar System. A smaller bubble gives cosmic rays a shorter-shot into the solar system. Once a cosmic ray which is being attracted by the Sun’s magnetic field enters the solar system, it must "swim upstream" against the solar wind. Solar wind speeds have dropped to very low levels in 2008 and 2009, A 400% increase in the speed that solar particle emissions are capable of traveling through the energy of interplanetary space (NASA 1997-2001) "In 2009, cosmic ray intensities have increased 19 percent beyond anything we've seen in the past 50 years," said Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "We're experiencing the deepest solar minimum in nearly a century," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center. When this happens, highly energetic (and damaging harmful radiation that leaks into the solar system) cosmic rays can penetrate deeper into our solar system. New data has revealed that the heliosphere which surrounds the entire solar system —is our first line of defense against these highly-charged, energetic particles has weakened by 25 percent over the past decade and is now at it lowest level since the space race began 50 years ago. The heliosphere's so-called "current sheet" is flattening. "Measurements by the Ulysses spacecraft show that solar wind pressure is at a 50-year low," Mewaldt said, "so the magnetic bubble that protects the solar system is not being inflated as much as usual." making it easier than usual for a cosmic ray to proceed. If the heliosphere continues to weaken, scientists fear that the amount of cosmic radiation reaching the inner parts of our solar system, including Earth, will increase. In 2003, cosmic dust into our solar system recently tripled and the pace is expected to grow over the next decade. The rate is expected to stay constant until 2005, and then increase by another factor of 3 prior to 2013. In Dec. 2011 into 2012 we will be passing through the Galactic Equator where galactic gravity is the strongest running more or less through the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. "The most striking feature is the ribbon that appears to be controlled by the magnetic field of our galaxy," says Schwadron. In December it was announced that the veteran Voyager probes currently measured an unexpected increase in magnetic field strength. Scientists believe that this increase is due to an unexpectedly large magnetic field threaded through the "Local Fluff." Our solar system is currently speeding into this Fluff. The magnetic fields of our galaxy may change the protective layers of our solar system that regulate the entry of galactic radiations," says Nathan Schwadron of Boston. Consider ISM that is ionized only by the solar UV, and then assess the amount of neutral interstellar hydrogen that is accreted by the Earth’s atmosphere during a single passage through a dense cloud. Case is substantial changes in the terrestrial atmosphere. In that case hydrogen acts as a chemical agent to remove oxygen atoms and to cause OZONE concentration reductions. "The depletion of oxygen levels in all three oceans is striking," said Gregory Johnson , an oceanographer with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Seattle. In some spots, such as off the Southern California coast, oxygen levels have dropped roughly 20 percent over the past 25 years. Elsewhere, scientists say, oxygen levels might have declined by one-third over 50 years. By Les Blumenthal, McClatchy Newspapers Les Blumenthal, Mcclatchy Newspapers – Sun Mar 7, 12:01 pm ET …WASHINGTON — Lower levels of oxygen in the Earth's oceans, particularly off the United States' Pacific Northwest coast, could be another sign of fundamental changes linked to global climate change, scientists say. Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon. The discovery of interstellar material in the 20th century led to speculation that encounters with dense clouds initiated the ice ages.(Shapley, 1921), Some researchers speculate that each passage through a spiral arm spawns an Ice Age on Earth through cosmic-ray-induced cloud formation. The number of natural disasters around the world has increased by more than four times in the last 20 years, according to a report released by the British charity Oxfam. Oxfam analyzed data from the Red Cross, United Nations and researchers at Louvain University in Belgium. It found that the earth is currently experiencing approximately 500 natural disasters per year, compared with 120 per year in the early 1980s. The number of weather-related disasters in 2006 was 240, compared with 60 in 1980. This is increasing precipitation and bringing more snow to northern areas some of which is not melting in the summer. Robert Felix says that the increase in volcanic activity is warming the oceans. He also states that global warming is a myth and that the next ice age could begin any day.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Interesting thread, but your going to get boned for your presentation.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Sources ??

Looks like a whole lotta stuff directly copied & pasted from somewhere else with no credit given, and no words of your own...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Heya...sort of unreadable.

How about you seperate the paragraphs up a bit, segment it, and perhaps give a bit of annotations before and after, along with the source.

just edit the original post.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
excerpt from Paul LaViolette’s 1983 Ph.D. dissertation "Galactic Explosions, Cosmic Dust Invasions, and Climatic Change."
On 14 August 2003 an article entitled, "Defenses Down, Galactic Dust Storm Hits Solar System," appeared in Space News
Solar journey: The significance of our galactic environment for the heliosphere and earth

Yes they are parts of different information streamed together to show a point leaning toward the effect of the ISM on the Solar systems.. and there are Quotes from scientist .. I rather have there opions in there than my own..

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well I was trying to not waste space... I am trying to inform that what I have read and seen on the net..within many sites on the subject that there seems to be a common trend since the 1960s to now as far all these events taking place have been happening side by side ..and seem to be connected to eachother in some way .. I do believe that we are heading toward the Galatic plane and the Increase in dust and the decrease of the heliosphere and the increase of the plasma eveloping the heliosphere and the magnetic charge that flows through the ISM show that we are most likely nearing the galatic plane .... Some seem to believe that the next Ice age could happen sooner than we think ... thanks for taken a look...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vonour

I am not going to quibble about the way you write.
After going cross eyed a couple of times and losing my place i did manage to read it.

Good work Vonour.
Try to include some links to the various people you mention so that the readers can go verify the facts.
You will find that most people on this site already concur that climate is cosmic in nature.
The Astrophysicist's amongst us have been ignored by the MSM for political reasons aimed at the hydro-carbon industry to raise the base price of oil.
The co2-manmade climate change bogeyman will quietly be dropped as more and more people become aware of cosmic weather.
I would like to include another feature to this story, Earth's magnetic field is also diminishing at this time, making our exposure to cosmic weather even greater!

I hope everyone takes the time to read your thread.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Thanks for reading..hope you got something out of it .
..And yes the reading is a task .. hehe but so is all the writting...Thanks for your words...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Nice work Vonour!S+F'd!

Bit of an eye-burning presentation,but thanks for finding this and getting it here!

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Ericthedoubter]

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Ericthedoubter]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

, Earth's magnetic field yes.. is seems that the Earth's magnetic field is also damaged by the increase of the cosmic rays and dust particles intering the atmosphere ..atleast it is contributing to the effects as well as the loss of oxygen and loss of ozone... let alone with the increase in nautral disasters...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Why aren't my edits coming up?

*Tries again with a new post*

Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars

So global warming is the fault of gas-guzzling cars,is it?

^^

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

Thanks .. there is alot going on even the Earths core changes ..possible leadng up to a pole shift.... let alone the actual land Poles moving faster than usual....north .. south is moving slower...from what I have read less I got them backwards...thank for taken a look...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

1.1 A Series of Large PlanetoPhysical Transformations.
The following processes are taking place on the distant planets of our Solar System. But they are, essentially speaking, operationally driving the whole System.

A 400% increase in the speed that solar particle emissions are capable of traveling through the energy of interplanetary space (NASA 1997-2001)
Recent magnetic pole shifts of Uranus and Neptune, as Voyager 2 observed their magnetic axes being significantly offset from their rotational axes (Dmitriev 1997)
Visible brightness increases now being detected on Saturn ( Dmitriev 1997)
200% increase in the intensity of Jupiter’s magnetic field from 1992-97 (Dmitriev 1997)
200% increase in the known density of Mars’ atmosphere encountered by the Mars Surveyor satellite in 1997 (NASA 1997)
Significant melting of Martian polar icecaps in just one year, clearly seen in satellite photography (NASA 2001)
Significant physical, chemical and optical changes on Venus, including a sharp decrease in sulfur-containing gases in its atmosphere and increasing brightness ( Dmitriev 1997)
A growth of dark spots on Pluto.
Reporting of auroras on Saturn.
Reporting of Uranus and Neptune polar shifts (They are magnetically conjugate planets), and the abrupt large-scale growth of Uranus' magnetosphere intensity.
A change in light intensity and light spot dynamics on Neptune.
The doubling of the magnetic field intensity on Jupiter (based upon 1992 data), and a series of new states and processes observed on this planet as an aftermath of a series of explosions in July 1994 [caused by
A stream of ionized hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, etc. is being directed to Jupiter from the volcanic areas of Io through a one million amperes flux tube. It is affecting the character of Jupiter's magnetic process and intensifying it's plasma genesis.[Z.I.Vselennaya "Earth and Universe" N3, 1997 plo-9 by NASA data]
A series of Martian atmosphere transformations increasing its biosphere quality. In particularly, a cloudy growth in the equator area and an unusual growth of ozone concentration.
In September 1997 the Mars Surveyor Satellite encountered an atmospheric density double that projected by NASA upon entering a Mars orbit. This greater density bent one of the solar array arms beyond the full and open stop. This combination of events has delayed the beginning of the scheduled photo mission for one year.
A first stage atmosphere generation on the Moon, where a growing natrium atmosphere is detected that reaches 9,000 km in height. [17].
Significant physical, chemical and optical changes observed on Venus; an inversion of dark and light spots detected for the first time, and a sharp decrease of sulfur-containing gases in its atmosphere.
Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory. In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.
“Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vonour
Well I was trying to not waste space... I am trying to inform that what I have read and seen on the net..within many sites on the subject that there seems to be a common trend since the 1960s to now as far all these events taking place have been happening side by side ..and seem to be connected to eachother in some way .. I do believe that we are heading toward the Galatic plane and the Increase in dust and the decrease of the heliosphere and the increase of the plasma eveloping the heliosphere and the magnetic charge that flows through the ISM show that we are most likely nearing the galatic plane .... Some seem to believe that the next Ice age could happen sooner than we think ... thanks for taken a look...

Interesting reading....

It's my understanding though, that our solar system has been preceeding through the galactic plane since 1980-something. I can provide sources if anyone is curious. However, The "galactic plane" is difficult to define precisely though.

Originally posted by Vonour

, Earth's magnetic field yes.. is seems that the Earth's magnetic field is also damaged by the increase of the cosmic rays and dust particles intering the atmosphere ..atleast it is contributing to the effects as well as the loss of oxygen and loss of ozone... let alone with the increase in nautral disasters...

I beg to differ here... Magnetic fields can be dampened but not damaged. I'm not making the connection between increases in cosmic rays and/or dust w/natural disasters, loss of Oxygen or Ozone, either. Seems pretty far fetched to me. If you mean that increased climate temps cause an increase in Hurricanes and extreme weather conditions, I'll agree but it seems as though you're making connections where there aren't any.

As the OP, you're sort of obligated to provide sources and references to backup what you are claiming here. Would be great if you could clarify some of the statements you've made.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

(Interplanetary space to our Solar System) Consider ISM that is ionized only by the solar UV, and then assess the amount of neutral interstellar hydrogen that is accreted by the Earth’s atmosphere during a single passage through a dense cloud. Case is substantial changes in the terrestrial atmosphere. In that case hydrogen acts as a chemical agent to remove OXYGEN atoms and to cause OZONE concentration reductions. Thus, depending on the specific encounter parameters, the high mixing ratio of hydrogen in the Earth’s atmosphere may substantially decrease the ozone concentration in the mesosphere and may trigger an essential climatic change of relatively long duration.

"Our results show a strong correlation between the strength of the Earth's magnetic field and the amount of precipitation in the tropics," one of the two Danish geophysicists behind the study, Mads Faurschou Knudsen of the geology department at Aarhus University in Denmark, told Videnskab journal. The big surprise is that when a northern IMF came along, the shields went down. This has completely overturned many scientists' understanding of things. As researchers investigated the tear in the magnetic field, they discovered that 20 times more solar wind passed into the Earth's protective shield when the magnetic fields were aligned.
Northern IMF events don't actually trigger geomagnetic storms, Raeder noted, but they do set the stage for storms by loading the magnetosphere with plasma
Health and Environmental Effects of Ozone Layer DepletionThe Connection Between Ozone Depletion and UVB Radiation
Reductions in ozone levels will lead to higher levels of UVB reaching the Earth's surface. The sun's output of UVB does not change; rather, less ozone means less protection, and hence more UVB reaches the Earth. Studies have shown that in the Antarctic, the amount of UVB measured at the surface can double during the annual ozone hole. Another study confirmed the relationship between reduced ozone and increased UVB levels in Canada during the past several years.

Effects on Human Health
Laboratory and epidemiological studies demonstrate that UVB causes nonmelanoma skin cancer and plays a major role in malignant melanoma development. In addition, UVB has been linked to cataracts. All sunlight contains some UVB, even with normal ozone levels. It is always important to limit exposure to the sun. However, ozone depletion will increase the amount of UVB and the risk of health effects.

Effects on Plants
Physiological and developmental processes of plants are affected by UVB radiation, even by the amount of UVB in present-day sunlight. Despite mechanisms to reduce or repair these effects and a limited ability to adapt to increased levels of UVB, plant growth can be directly affected by UVB radiation.

Indirect changes caused by UVB (such as changes in plant form, how nutrients are distributed within the plant, timing of developmental phases and secondary metabolism) may be equally, or sometimes more, important than damaging effects of UVB. These changes can have important implications for plant competitive balance, herbivory, plant diseases, and biogeochemical cycles.

Effects on Marine Ecosystems
Phytoplankton form the foundation of aquatic food webs. Phytoplankton productivity is limited to the euphotic zone, the upper layer of the water column in which there is sufficient sunlight to support net productivity. The position of the organisms in the euphotic zone is influenced by the action of wind and waves. In addition, many phytoplankton are capable of active movements that enhance their productivity and, therefore, their survival. Exposure to solar UVB radiation has been shown to affect both orientation mechanisms and motility in phytoplankton, resulting in reduced survival rates for these organisms. Scientists have demonstrated a direct reduction in phytoplankton production due to ozone depletion-related increases in UVB. One study has indicated a 6-12% reduction in the marginal ice zone.

Solar UVB radiation has been found to cause damage to early developmental stages of fish, shrimp, crab, amphibians and other animals. The most severe effects are decreased reproductive capacity and impaired larval development. Even at current levels, solar UVB radiation is a limiting factor, and small increases in UVB exposure could result in significant reduction in the size of the population of animals that eat these smaller creatures.

Effects on Biogeochemical Cycles
Increases in solar UV radiation could affect terrestrial and aquatic biogeochemical cycles, thus altering both sources and sinks of greenhouse and chemically-important trace gases e.g., carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO), carbonyl sulfide (COS) and possibly other gases, including ozone. These potential changes would contribute to biosphere-atmosphere feedbacks that attenuate or reinforce the atmospheric buildup of these gases.

Effects on Materials
Synthetic polymers, naturally occurring biopolymers, as well as some other materials of commercial interest are adversely affected by solar UV radiation. Today's materials are somewhat protected from UVB by special additives. Therefore, any increase in solar UVB levels will therefore accelerate their breakdown, limiting the length of time for which they are useful outdoors.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vonour

Interaction with the Earth's atmosphere
When cosmic ray particles enter the Earth's atmosphere they collide with molecules, mainly oxygen and nitrogen, to produce a cascade of lighter particles, a so-called air shower. The general idea is shown in the figure which shows a cosmic ray shower produced by a high energy proton of cosmic ray origin striking an atmospheric molecule.
in reality, the number of particles created in an air shower event can reach in the billions, depending on the energy and chemical environment (i.e. atmospheric) of the primary particle. All of the produced particles stay within about one degree of the primary particle's path. Typical particles produced in such collisions are charged mesons (e.g. positive and negative pions and kaons). Cosmic rays are also responsible for the continuous production of a number of unstable isotopes in the Earth’s atmosphere, such as carbon-14, via the reaction

Role in Cloud Formation
Cosmic rays have been experimentally determined to be able to produce ultra-small aerosol particles, orders of magnitude smaller than cloud condensation nuclei. But the steps from this to modulation of cloud formation and thence to be a contributor of global warming have not been established. The analogy is with the Wilson cloud chamber, however acting on a global scale, where Earth's atmosphere acts as the cloud chamber and the cosmic rays catalyze the production of cloud condensation nuclei. But unlike a cloud chamber, where the air is carefully purified, the real atmosphere always has many CCN naturally. Various proposals have been made for the exact mechanism by which cosmic rays might affect clouds, including Ion Mediated Nucleation, and through an indirect effect on current flow density in the Global electric circuit (see Tinsley 2000, and F. Yu 1999). Claims have been made of identification of GCR climate signals in atmospheric parameters such as high latitude precipitation (Todd & Kniveton) and originally [and more tenuously] Svensmark's annual cloud cover variations, which were proven more correlated to GCR variation than direct solar variation

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

..THE SUN IS FREAKING OUT..by Paul Winter
From a New Scientist article of 02 Nov 2003, "There have been more sunspots since the 1940s than for the past 1150 years (combined)." That is a 1825% increase. Sunspots are the precursors of solar flares and coronal mass ejections and reflect the internal state of the sun. Sunspot numbers were derived from levels of a radioactive isotope found in ice cores taken from Greenland and Antarctica.

This article proposes that increased sun activity is related to increases in cosmic dust which is being attracted by the Sun’s magnetic field. In 2003, cosmic dust into our solar system increased threefold. Between 2005 and 2013 cosmic dust will increase by another factor of 3. If the Sun affects Earth weather, and increased cosmic dust fuels the Sun, we are in for a rough ride. Of greatest concern: volcano activity over the past 100 years has increased 500%. The timing of this increase is disturbing because the usually dependable (every 600,000 years) Yellowstone super volcano is 40,000 years late.

List of Changes to Our Solar System

These increases seem to be due to increased fuel to the sun. If that is true, such events will continue to increase over the next few years.

A 300% increase in the amount of "severe" solar activity than what was formally predicted for the year 1997 alone (NASA 1998)

A 400% increase in the speed that solar particle emissions are capable of traveling through the energy of interplanetary space (NASA 1997-2001)

A 200% increase in tornadoes in unexpected areas such as Maryland from 50 years ago. Planetophysical State of the Earth and Life by Dr. Dmitriev (1997)

A 400% increase in the overall number of natural catastrophes on Earth between 1963 and 1993 (Dmitriev 1997)

A 230% increase in the strength of the Sun’s magnetic field since 1901 (Lockwood, 1998)

9 out of the 21 most severe earthquakes from 856-1999 AD occurred in the 20th century (Russian National Earthquake Information Center, 1999)

A 400% increase in the number of earthquakes over 2.5 on the Richter scale since 1973 (Manderville 1998)

A 500% increase in Earth’s volcanic activity between 1875 and 1993. For increases between 1973 and 1998 see the graph below (Mandeville 2000 )

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Our solar system is now in the same ISM cloud
Many of the stars that we can see with the naked eye, as well as our own Sun1, are passing through a region of space known as The Local Bubble. It is a gigantic structure some 400 light years wide.
The Local Fluff
The composition of the interior of the Local Bubble is not uniform. Clouds of low-density gas float inside the Local Bubble. The solar system is currently passing through such a cloud, known as The Local Fluff, or The Local Interstellar Cloud. The cloud is about 30 light years in length, and it mainly contains hydrogen and helium gasses. A few of our closer stellar companions, including the star Altair, are also passing through this cloud. The cloud appears to emanate from a star-forming region, known as the Sco-Cen OB Association2, in the Loop 1 bubble.

Astronomers John Watson and David Meyer at Northwestern University have also discovered that in the Sun's vicinity, the interstellar medium is filled with many cloudlets with a size comparable to the solar system. Radio astronomers have also observed the phenomenon of interstellar scintillation in the radio signals from distant quasars, and deduced that the interstellar medium is far from smooth, but contains clumps and filaments at many different scales.
Will the Sun soon be passing through a dust cloud?
The solar system is, apparently, moving along a path that is certain to take us closer to the Sco-Cen expanding superbubble. The 'wall' between the Local Bubble and the Sco-Cen bubble now seems to consist of an increasing density of cloudlets of varying size and density. The Sun, after apparently spending many hundreds of millennia in quieter regions of the Local Bubble, is apparently now moving nearer one wall of this cavity towards us from the direction of Scorpio/Centaurus. Rather than a smooth wall of material, it consists of many individual pieces and cloudlets. When the solar system enters such a cloud, the first thing that will happen will be that the magnetic field of the Sun, which now extends perhaps 100 AU from the Sun and 2-3 times the orbit of Pluto, will be compressed back into the inner solar system depending on the density of the medium that the Sun encounters. When this happens, the Earth may be laid bare to an increased cosmic ray bombardment. To make matters worse, the Earth's magnetic field is itself decreasing as we enter the next field reversal era in a few thousand years. If the Earth's field is 'down' during the same time that the solar system has wandered into the new could, the cosmic ray flux at the Earth's surface could be many times higher than it now is.

The biological effects may not be so severe. We just don't really know. Fossil records show that in previous field reversals, there was hardly a sign of any biological impact caused by species extinctions or mutations. We don't really know when the last time it was that our solar system found itself in a dense interstellar cloud, so we cannot look at the fossil record to see what effects this might have had. Since all of the major extinctions seem to be related to tectonic activity, or to asteroid impacts, there isn't much left over to argue that there will be a dire effect of the next cloud passage upon the biosphere. If you believe our knowledge of the solar vicinity, the next cloud passage could happen within 20 - 50,000 years.
..TAKE NOTICE TO THE 20...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

As far as damaging the Magnetic Field .. bad choice of words on my part .. mostlyit increases effects .... thanks for takening time to read post

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Its simple ..The solar system is heading into the galatic plane the increase in the dust entering into our system has increase 900 percent since 1960s
increase in the size of the plasma covering the heliosphere increase shows that the ISM local fluff has thickened and the strong magnetic field within the cloud has also gotten stronger showing that we are now getting near the galatic plane where the denser dust clouds rest. The increase of speed of cosmic rays entering into the solar system has increase 419 percent since 1960s we have lost 25 percent of our heliosphere since the 1960s aswell increase in natural disasters and loss of oxygen in our oceans and loss of ozone can be contributed to the increase of cosmic dust not only that the cosmic rays fuel the sun making it hotter and cause more cloud cover on earth ...All planets in our solar system are experiencing global warming as you read this and the radiation within our solar system is also increasing if our heliosphere continues to weaken and it should if we are to enter into the galatic plane the chances are we might just see the next ice age .. caused by the increase of cosmic rays...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join