It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

outrageous auctions flooding MSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

outrageous auctions flooding MSM

www.nrc.nl

Stuyvesant collection finally under the hammer
Published: 1 March 2010 11:25 | Changed: 1 March 2010 17:16
The most important collection of modern art ever to be auctioned in Amsterdam is now on display.
By Arjen Ribbens

One of the key works of the auctioned collection: The fall, by Mike Kelly.
Photo Sotheby's
News - Peter Stuyvesant art collection raises record sum
Feature - Cigarette factory closure prompts major art sale
Eight thousand catalogues were sent to every corner of the world and written bids are coming in from all directions. A team of experts from London and New York w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Hi all,

I hope this works. Since it is my first post ever here.

What has come to my attention recently is that more and more auctions are mentioned in the MSM.

First of all I want to address the largest art theft in the history of the Netherlands that has been happening right under our noses. After the bankrupcy of the DSB bank.

DSB was building a museum and had a very respectable collection of art. After it bankrupted, the ABN-AMRO bank (a bank that was saved by the Dutch government) came in with an army of vans to take away the art of the DSB bank.

To me this was more or less theft. Since not only ABN-AMRO had claims to the debt DBS left behind.

A link www.dutchnews.nl...

Now. That said...

A comic of Spiderman auctioned for a lot more then the worth, same for a superman comic.
Now you see this art collection of stuyversand that sold half of the collection yesterday for 3 times worth of the estimate of the entire collection.

Now my thoughts on this, and I would like your comment on this idea.

Why is art, in this time so damn important? Why so important to the obviously enormously wealthy elite. Of course economic reasons, like investments to secure wealth. But then why won’t they invest in gold. The prices of art are so ridiculously high, what catastrophe to the economy is going to present itself that this investment will pay back itself eventually?

Now! My conspiracy theory on this;

Do the ruling elite see themselves as the saviours of the human legacy? Will they conserve our fine art at any price? So that in the future they can still enjoy what we have built up over the years?

Just like the Inca's., Egyptians and who used up every available resource there was to make sure we now know those guys once walked the earth. Think of that bunker in the arctic where scientists now have stored millions of different species of seeds so extinction of the most important crops cannot be extinct.

Anyone any other thoughts?

www.nrc.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I see what you are saying but if it's an auction then it cuts both ways - someone's buying and someones selling. I tend to view it as people around the world struggling to maintain their standard of living and/or hedge against the uncertainty of traditional investments.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
That is the most sober way of looking at things indeed.
But Why would I help you buy buying your used by Michael Jordan signed sneakers for not only way more then the price you payed for them 10 years ago? But even 3 times or 4 times the market value. (just as an example)

I can not see why this would be evidence of upping the ante, because that is what you are saying right?

There is something more going on here. Why would MSM keep reporting this stuff, in a time where more and more people are glad to be able to afford a framed picture of a relative?

I think these buyers know their money's worth now: zore-point-zero, zero. And the price for a work of art is irrelevant, since the monatairy system is on the verge of a collapse anyway.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sover3igN

Well, there could be another aspect. The governments are keeping the prices down on consumer goods but things like Art, which are purchased by the wealthy, the prices cannot be manipulated. Since the wealthy really know what their fiat money is worth.

Just an idea to throw into the ring. I myself cannot understand that the US has doubled the number of dollars in two years and prices for things have not doubled. It does not make sense to me at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Sover3igN

The governments are keeping the prices down on consumer goods but things like Art, which are purchased by the wealthy, the prices cannot be manipulated. Since the wealthy really know what their fiat money is worth.

Not bad at all! I will be leaving for a holiday to Rhodes next may. And I was wondering if I would buy a bread for the price I payed there 2 years ago, or that inflation would be huge. Like you would expect from a country in ruins, what it actually is. But it wont. Prices will remain the same I suspect.

I like the idea indeed. But is the money actually worth anything anymore today. That is the question then.

new topics

top topics

join