It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bear Lake Monster Sighted Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The bear lake monster, after more than 10 years of going unseen or just unreported, is being reported being seen again...

The Bear Lake Monster has returned from the depths.
A decade after the last reported sighting of the huge dragon-fish -- said to be lurking in the aquamarine waters of the 22-mile-long lake -- reports again are trickling in.

Supposedly, according to this article, the lake monster sightings began as a publicity stunt:

The Bear Lake Monster began as a publicity stunt in 1868, says Bob Parson, author of A History of Rich County and curator of special collections at Utah State University.
Joseph C. Rich arrived with his father, Charles C. Rich, an apostle sent by LDS President Brigham Young in 1863 to settle the Bear Lake Valley, which spans the Utah-Idaho border region. Five years later, Joseph Rich began publicizing the story of the Bear Lake Monster to attract more settlers.

Hmmmm...

Some people have speculated that an underground waterway connects Bear Lake to Loch Ness in Scotland and that the monster travels between the two lakes, spending winters in Scotland and summers at Bear Lake.

Hey, it would be cool if someone from ATS won the contest!

Have you seen the Bear Lake Monster? What does it look like? Or, if you haven't seen it, what do you think it might look like?
Draw us a picture of the monster -- real or imagined -- and mail it to Bear Lake Monster at The Salt Lake Tribune, 143 S. Main, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84111. You also can e-mail your picture, in jpeg format, to [email protected].
Be sure to include your name, age and the name of your school with your submission. Deadline for entries is June 15.
In the coming weeks, we'll post some of the entries on the newspaper's Web site, www.sltrib.com...

So all in all, the article debunks the monster. It is interesting to note that one of the latest claims comes from a guy that runs the "Bear Lake Monster Tour Boat."

www.sltrib.com...

Here is a related ATS article on the subject...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Which now that I browsed it covers the 2002 sighting.

So most likely it was a hoax and now a myth...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I was going to add this article to my thread but, you beat me to it.

I still think it's a hoax, perpetuated by the mormons to attract people to the area.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
LMAO! I have never seen THE monster....but the raspberrys in that area are of monster sise
extra good to
they make the monsterously best jam!

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have a cabin in Bear Lake and have been going there for 18 years and the legand of the Bear Lake Monster is quite amusing to say the least. The rasberrys are amazing they make the best shakes too. I have never seen any such monster unless you call a giant ass carp a monster.

I had the bageezes scared out of me by a huge, disgustingly ugly carp, but thats about it...lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

Some people have speculated that an underground waterway connects Bear Lake to Loch Ness in Scotland and that the monster travels between the two lakes, spending winters in Scotland and summers at Bear Lake.

Well that's not too far-fetched.

Maybe he's smarter than we thought between having two residences, a secret underground waterway, and avoiding capture for the past 100+ years.

top topics

join