It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Construction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Perhaps you space and science people can answer my question better than I can think out a solution.

Construction something and then putting it in space takes alot of time, money, and materials. Take the ISS for example, each pod costs millions of dollars, millions more to ship it into space, and yet a couple more to assemble it to the others.

Why not ship the raw materials into space and have them constructed there? I know humans cannot stay in space for too long because they need food, water, and excercise lest they completely deteriorate their muscles. Since it would cost too much to send humans and parts and have them constructed in space, why not let a computer do it?

A single computer could run the entire show, it would host dozens of small robots that would assemble the parts day and night.

The only problem I can really think of is a more efficient way of getting the parts into space.

Granted some things would be a little too sophisticated for robots to construct without constant human supervision. But the point is they can get larger heavier parts done in a few months, then humans could do the rest.

The technology isn't that complicated, I just like coming up with more efficient designs than what we have now. What is the feasibility of something like this?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The equipment you used for example is a good reason why we can't build in space.

To build something like the ISS they build it in segments in "clean rooms" where you can use machinery that very fine-tunely and very precisely does their jobs. The construction is laborious, and requires great dexterity.

There is almost no dexterity in space, the problems of micro-gravity means that human labor is limited and that machinery can only do so much.

Also space-walks are very tiresome, Gene Cernan lost 14 pounds in his space-walk which lasted some 30 minutes...(some really short time I can't remember exactly).

I think the longest space walks so far are only 8 - 16 hours, so imagine trying to build something requiring hundreds of hours, and then, that's only a part of what you're trying to put together.

Also those 8 - 16 hour space walks are for simple things like positioning modules together.

Also you have no way of testing or making sure your construction is flawless as possible if it is done in space.

It's like, building an areoplane while falling off a cliff and hoping you can do it before you hit the ground AND make it fly sucessfully the first time, and on top of that, you then have to fly around the world.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
What I am suggesting is making something like a submarine in space. It would go a little something like this:

Send up the parts along with an information packet of when and where to assemble it.

Robots take the peice and simply weld it to the rest, their robots they can make perfect welds right?

When the submarine is built humans come up and finish the rest stocking it with equipment.

The idea is simple, and although we may not be able to use it now, it would probably come in handy in the future when larger ships need to be built for space exploration.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
its more expensive to shipall that stuff up there in the first place. hell that number of launches in a certin amout of time would bankrupt nasa. its cheaper to build it on the ground, stick it in a shuttle and blast it up into space and just snap it into place.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

its more expensive to shipall that stuff up there in the first place. hell that number of launches in a certin amout of time would bankrupt nasa. its cheaper to build it on the ground, stick it in a shuttle and blast it up into space and just snap it into place.

thats the main problem with my idea, we need something better than rockets to ship all that junk up there.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Well we already do this, the ISS for example, send up the pieces and assemble them in space. After all we did not launch the ISS all in one piece it is not even done yet.

I can just see it when it is completed, and it has pieces and crews from all the major space countries...and then all those countries go to war back on earth.

Would those crews try to eject eachother in the escape pods (currently Soyuz vessles) or would they stake claims on their sides of the ISS or what?

Whatever it turns out to be, it would be the funniest and probably greatest battle or events in human history.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This will happen if we survive. Once we get to peace on earth and can spend some money on space and expanding mankind into the deep black ocean.

Once we have peace and stop wasting time on mars and the moon we can start using the asteroids. They provide resource, anti grav is allready installed to some extent. We can build colonies on asteroids, use the smaller asteroids as actuall solar system space exporation ships. Can send mankind to the next star on an asteroid as a colony..

The next step is to assist earth in grabing one of the small asteroids that fly by into its orbit then we can experiment on it and perhaps convert it into a solar system space ship. Many of the materials will allready be on the asteroid that we can mine and make things out of.

We wont need to build walls as we can just mine out the bridge and living quaters.. Build a garden under glass etc.. =).

Main thing is we need to stop killing each other then we can do what we have been capable of for 30 years and that is moving man beyound earth.

I also recoomend after this point a moon colony and mars colony but the asteroids should come first. Much easier to work with them.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Xeven]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
euh there is another sollution and that is building a space elevator with the help of carbon nano tubes and on the end in space build a construction site for space crafts and we can bring equipment and materials which can't be made in space on earth and bring them to the site in space. low cost high efficiency. this can be done believe it or not the tech is allready being developed and they say with in 15 years they can build it and after being build we can really explore space..

another sollution is GTC from hongeria which is developing saucer like craft using anti gravity.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

euh there is another sollution and that is building a space elevator with the help of carbon nano tubes and on the end in space build a construction site for space crafts and we can bring equipment and materials which can't be made in space on earth and bring them to the site in space. low cost high efficiency. this can be done believe it or not the tech is allready being developed and they say with in 15 years they can build it and after being build we can really explore space..

I remember reading about that in popular science, that thought had never occured to me. The idea of building in space is an old one for me, I never thought about it until now...

another sollution is GTC from hongeria which is developing saucer like craft using anti gravity

would you mind explaining or giving a link about this, I have no idea what GTC is.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
something which I can not find back by search engine but a couple of months ago I said it somewhere on the forum.

the site of gtc was updated currently taking about 6 months.
Had the discusion about there credibilty but there is allready a
update coming up next. 5th of februar the page on the 1 generation unmanned flying disc.

www.gctspace.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Your'e Right Mark!
The Space Elevator is the way to go! NASA and other US agencies are funding research on this and there's a yearly symposium on the subject. It's the only practical way to lift the materials needed for serious construction projects. ATS has several threads on it, so I'll leave you to them, but here's a link to a daily update on the tech:

www.spaceelevator.com...

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

join