It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roy Ashburn, California State Senator, Says He's Gay After DUI Arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Roy Ashburn, California State Senator, Says He's Gay After DUI Arrest

www.huffingtonpost.com

Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn said Monday he is gay, ending days of speculation that began after his arrest last week for investigation of driving under the influence.

Ashburn, who consistently voted against gay rights measures during his 14 years in statewide office, came out in an interview with KERN radio in Bakersfield, the area he represents.

Ashburn said he felt compelled to address rumors that he had visited a gay nightclub near the Capitol before his DUI arrest.

"I am gay ... those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long," Ashburn told conservative talk show host Inga Barks.

The 55-year-old father of four said he had tried to keep his personal life separate from his professional life until his March 3 arrest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/8/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I would like to gloat saying it serves him right...but my heart isn't in it.

It is so sad...cases like this are always so sad.

Take denial and self loathing...add a healthy dash of repression and what do you get....someone like this. A man who has spent his entire life fighting against what he is and causing untold damage in the process.

Blake said that it was better to murder an infant in its cradle than to nurse an unacted on desire.

People like this repress and repress and repress until all that repression becomes poison in their souls and when the proverbial boil bursts and all that poison comes oozing to the surface it destroys the lives around them.

So sad.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

This kind of thing happens too often. Someone is against an issue for so long that they become part of what they tried to prevent. They seem to become hypocrites.

I find it interesting that he is conservative. If he remains conservative, some in the gay community might start voting republican. Anyone know if he is receiving any kind of backlash from the other republicans?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Actually there is a large bloc of gay Republicans they even have a group called the Log Cabin Republicans:

Here is their website:

online.logcabin.org...

top topics

join