It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First contact: The man who'll welcome aliens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
Perhaps. There are no terrestrial events to sufficiently explain it. The signal lasted exactly as long as we'd expect it to. But on the other hand, it has never repeated, as we'd expect it to.
[edit on 8-3-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

Proof/links/audio/bank statements to confirm who this "we" is and why exactly they expect an anomalous radio signal to repeat transmission?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye
So, we shouldn't expect evidence to back up any claim made off-the-cuff by any random member? What should we do with random, unsubstantiated claims, then? Ignore them? Wouldn't that be just as bad as asking for evidence?

Apparently, asking for evidence for declarative statements is now considered trolling.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No, but asking for proof of an opinion is about as close to idiotic snobbery as you can get.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hungrydirt
Proof/links/audio/bank statements to confirm who this "we" is and why exactly they expect an anomalous radio signal to repeat transmission?

And I thought asking for evidence made one a troll. You are not attempting to have a serious debate, but rather trying to make it a personal argument and derailing the discussion.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

And I thought asking for evidence made one a troll. You are not attempting to have a serious debate, but rather trying to make it a personal argument and derailing the discussion.

I find it deliciously ironic that you are posting on a subject matter that boasts almost zero tangible proof in regards to proving the existence of alien life forms, and you are calling people to court over proof for their own theoretical opinions.

Back on subject, I think SETI is a monstrous waste of time, as the United States government can squeeze its tentacles into anything it wishes.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I find it deliciously ironic that you are posting on a subject matter that boasts almost zero tangible proof in regards to proving the existence of alien life forms, and you are calling people to court over proof for their own theoretical opinions.

If you do not feel it is appropriate to be asked to defend your ideas or opinions, perhaps a discussion forum is not the right place for you.

Back on subject, I think SETI is a monstrous waste of time, as the United States government can squeeze its tentacles into anything it wishes.

How do you mean?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

If you do not feel it is appropriate to be asked to defend your ideas or opinions, perhaps a discussion forum is not the right place for you.

How do you mean?

Eh, I just don't see the validity or necessity of having to back up "thinking out loud" types of statements, but that's just me. On the other hand, I personally would never come here with those types of thoughts. My hands are tired from beating the hell out of this dead horse though, so I'll move on.

If you put any stock in the Iron Mountain conspiracy theories, or the Echelon program, one can paint a picture of the government sticking their hands in an almost infinite variety of American societal cookie jars. Couple these invasions and manipulations of privacy with the American government's baleful and furious denial (and as we all know their destruction of real live happenings) of the UFO phenomena. Now apply that coupling to SETI. If the government possesses even a fraction of the devious traits that the above conspiracy theories posit, along with the UFO cover up angle, why on earth would the government let SETI tell the public anything of note?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by hungrydirt]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If you put any stock in the Iron Mountain conspiracy theories, or the Echelon program, one can paint a picture of the government sticking their hands in an almost infinite variety of American societal cookie jars. Couple these invasions and manipulations of privacy with the American government's baleful and furious denial (and as we all know their destruction of real live happenings) of the UFO phenomena. Now apply that coupling to SETI. If the government possesses even a fraction of the devious traits that the above conspiracy theories posit, along with the UFO cover up angle, why on earth would the government let SETI tell the public anything of note?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by hungrydirt]

Speaking for myself, I generally don't put a lot of stock into conspiracy theories beyond the knowledge that sometimes there are actual conspiracies. The problem with that is, generally speaking, those conspiracies don't involve much more than money or small-picture power grabs.

Besides all that, I think that seeing how woefully inept the government is at doing essentially anything it tries to do, save for the military, it's hard for me to believe that there's a generations-long conspiracy that would involve literally thousands of people keeping a secret as large as prior contact with alien life.

I don't believe that the government would be able to stop someone like SETI from revealing contact, if SETI had actual, verifiable proof, and were determined to reveal it. The Wow! signal is a perfect example. It was published very simply, and is thought of by a lot of people to be genuine, albeit unable to prove and thus far not repeated, so unfortunately, it's not the smoking gun signal.

You could say the government allowed the Wow signal to be distributed because they knew it would be considered unprovable, but how could they have known there wouldn't be repeat signals (or still won't)? The bottom line is that anomalies have been distributed and publicized, and the government didn't lift a finger to stop them.

In my opinion, the government isn't as shadowy and sensational as everyone would like to think.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
[. If the government possesses even a fraction of the devious traits that the above conspiracy theories posit, along with the UFO cover up angle, why on earth would the government let SETI tell the public anything of note?

I believe it is NOT "the GOV".It is the three letter guys CIA,NSA,ONI,FBI ect... CIA AND NSA are the ones in control and running black opts and the country.IMOP! edit on 8-3-2010 by hungrydirt]

[edit on 9-3-2010 by bentwing2]

[edit on 9-3-2010 by bentwing2]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Nothing in 50 years? Come on....

this statement shows your ignorance of the subject. SETI has never had a dedicated telescope the total observation time in the last 50 years is actually 5 years total. Roughly 2000 stars have been searched in any detail.

For seti to find a signal after searching 2000 stars there would need to be roughly 100 MILLION transmitting civs in our galaxy. When frank drake first did his equation in the 1960s he came up with 10 (ten) transmitting civs in the galaxy. If that’s true we would need to search on average 20 BILLION stars. At 2000 we're a long way short.

SETIs dedicated array came online last year. It will search more stars in the next couple of years than has been searched in the last 50.

Any questions?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hungrydirt

if the government was going to try and shut seti up if they found a signal why didnt they do it in 1997?

seti detected a signal that appeared to originate outside our solar system. for 16 hours they monitored it by this point word was out something was happening at seti. Guess what? no black helicopters, no fbi or mib charging down their door. Not even a phone call from the military.

Theres no evidence the government would try to shut them up. In fact the evidence points to the opposite

p.s the signal was the soho sattelite in orbit around the sun roughly 1 million miles away.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Signals

Nothing in 50 years? Come on....

When frank drake first did his equation in the 1960s he came up with 10 (ten) transmitting civs in the galaxy. If that’s true we would need to search on average 20 BILLION stars. At 2000 we're a long way short.

no, we could search just one and hit the jackpot or a trillion and still not find anything even if it was somewhere.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by EsSeeEye

And if the government were out to suppress such findings, why would they allow the SETI@Home project?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

did you miss the part where i said "on average" & "IF thats true"

this is just a simple illustration to show how rediculous his statement was.

The reality could also be there are no transmitting civs in the galaxy therefor seti will not detect anything ever. But thats why in science we do experiments to further our understanding.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

"Nothing in 50 years, c'mon?"

Actually, even if the Universe was teeming with life (and it likely is), it's still unlikely we'll get a signal.

Here's why.

Not only do we have to aim it in the right place, but there's the time factor.

Here's a scenario. A planet is far enough away that it takes 500 years for radio waves to reach us (it's practically next door). So, 100 years ago, they sent their last radio signal (before moving on to other tech). It's still 400 years away from reaching us! Or, their last signal was 1000 years ago. Well, 500 years ago, when it got here, nobody was listening! So, here we have this neighbor, but we missed the technological window. By adding different technologies, we open that window a bit, but it's still just a crack. The sending and receiving have to be in such a small window where both civilizations are equipped for it, that it's really like finding a particular grain of sand, on a beach, that is only there on Tuesdays.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There are no Black nordic aliens from what i have witnessed so far.
I think their mite be an oriental race.
I no for sure thier is dark haired human looking et's and blonde haired human looking ets.
the blonde hair ones are actually a different race to the dark haired ones but they both look human.
that race did indeed create us from apes. 200,000 years ago.
they see us as primitive, on the same wave length of a westerner viewing a papa new guinian tribal member down to a chimpanzee.
they are psychic, have spiritual gifts, have hypnotic eyes, have invisible technology. there stature can range bettween 5-7 feet tall.the people i have witnessed were 5feet 6 , 6 feet 2 and 6 feet 4 respectivly.
they are good mathmaticians. They can use thier mind as a weapon, if you are to behave unapropriatly aggresivly towards them, some of them use thier minds as weapons and it can make you feel , dizzy , sick, and you won't be able to move. strangely they do seem to have the ability to control your fait to a certain degree. for example if you told them your dad was abusing you or being nasty to you, they can change the fait so that your dad would leave the household for good. they have the ability to know "where your going to be and at what time." they can time travel, however it is very dangrious. they are genuinly kind and considarate. i find if you treat them kindly they will reflect the same back. comminication is telepathic, they can read your thoughts and feel your mood and energy.
they are 15,000 years more advanced technologically. they have invisible television screens in which both people on either side of the screen can see and communicate telepathically to one another with it. a telepathic vidio phone basically. they are trying to help upgrade humans further with ginetic engineering as most people on the planet are still only intereste in sitting in front of a screen and punching each other on a night out. the film AVATAR is real. they can indeed send thier own here in a human body to complete a mission. where do you think they got the idea from for the film. there are 14 planets in the solar system and not 9. and a few of them have bases on. humans on earth in thier oppinion are in danger of becoming an extinct animal species as the population grows towards maximum capacity of 20 billion by the year 2150 by this time resources and food will struggle to meet demand and an x graph will be formed = extinction. they will not help us produce high tech technology to help our selves , they say only we can do that. overall they dont think much to humans on earth and they do geniunly care about the planet before the people however they are still kind enough to give us a last chance. beaware the reptilian race is real and a real enermy to the nordic and galatic alliance. this is why young girls like madalaine mccann go missing when left alone. reptilians go for young children prefabily blonde hair blue eyes and use them as a food source. they live beneath the earth. there was a huge battle bettween nordic alliance and reps in our solar system during the years off 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997. the nordics won of course.

love and light

source: contactee

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrbond009

I knew Avatar was real. Shot in real time too, right?

You're actually wrong. Spaceballs is the real movie, Barf is a real person, Pizza the Hut is not someone you want to mess with, and there are a few humans who are not real humans, but have the schwartz. They're not happy or nice, and will very likely touch you in your naughty parts just because they're aliens and they do stuff like that. I know this because I was aboard their ship and they taught me everything about everything by plugging an A/V cord into the back of my head and playing videotapes for over 1000 years, then time traveled me back to this time and youthified my body to its exact age at this point in time.

Source: Contactee.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
what do u guys mean by first contact

lol, if we get some information by SETI, that information is so old, but so old that the civ may not exist anymore

so, I dont get SETI ... if SETI isnt trying out new secret tech, they are a useless org and are being used for something we dont know nothing about and should be a good subject to investigate

remember, these signals travel a lot, and they are very far away, so, we couldnt communicate, only if the aliens were here on earth or very close

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
True, but it would still answer the question, "Are we alone", now wouldn't it?

So, SETI does have a purpose...even if the chance of two-way communication is unlikely.... Heck, the chance of finding a signal are staggering, even given a number of possible civilizations...but still, I wish them the best of luck at it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join