It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Rather: Obama Couldn't Sell Watermelons...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
...to the NAACP?

Did anyone get a chance to see this?

Apparently he got cut off and didn't complete his statement.

Still, the damage was done once he blurted the "W" word, and I aint talkin' 'bout George.

Obama Couldn't Sell Watermelons...'

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Dan Rather's such a joke, it's no wonder they threw him off the air.

BTW, am I the only one who's noticed his strange resemblance to Aleister Crowley?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ffba1390b1c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I can't see the Video right now, but that is the Awesomist (I know it isn't a word, but Dan Rather can say that), thing I have ever heard!!

WOWOWOWOW!

Welcome to Retirement Brother Dan, but kudos for going out with a bang!

Did this really happen or is it some Onion type of joke?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

YUP!
It really happened, but he gets cut off by a defensive Chris.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Obama couldn't sell watermelons to who?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

To the watermelon man, mostly likely.

Watermelon Man (Film)

Written by Herman Raucher and distributed by Columbia Pictures, it tells the story of an extremely bigoted 1960's white insurance salesman named Jeff Gerber who wakes up one morning to find that he has become black.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Dan Rather's such a joke, it's no wonder they threw him off the air.

Actually he got thrown off the air after the fake George Bush Air National Guard documents that were created using MS Word. He got busted and was made the scapegoat for CBS.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Originally posted by Carseller4

To the watermelon man, mostly likely.

Watermelon Man (Film)

Written by Herman Raucher and distributed by Columbia Pictures, it tells the story of an extremely bigoted 1960's white insurance salesman named Jeff Gerber who wakes up one morning to find that he has become black.

Jeff Gerber doesn't just wake up black, he wakes up as Wesley Snipes! I gotta see this...imagine waking up as Blade! Cool!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow! Looks like even Rather is capable of a Jimmy the Greek/Howard Cosell moment

That little monkey gets loose, doesn't he?.

* September 1983, referring to wide receiver Alvin Garrett of the Washington Redskins; the statement was denounced as racist, but it was pointed out that Cosell had regularly used the same term to describe small players of all races.

I won't get into Greek's famous foot in mouth.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

"But He couldn't sell watermelons if you gave him if you gave him a State Trooper to flag down traffic..."

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I said something similar here on ATS and got two Warnings almost immediately! I said something about any "performing monkey" being able to make people smile and feel good. It was a reference to Obama's campaign, and a comparison to a monkey at a Circus my wife had attended when she was very ill and in a wheel chair. The best smile I have ever seen on her came when a little spider monkey shook her finger for a quarter!

Of course a lot of my friends are black and I am sometimes naive about the sensitivities of some white folks when it comes to saying black things, and it never even occured to me that some overzealous moderators and administrators would take it as a racial comment, and it wasn't intended that way, and most of the black folks on ATS understood it as it was meant, but a lot of the white folks got all politically correct and freaked out!

Anyway, what Dan Rather said was significantly worse than that, and was indeed racial . . . . funny. . . . but racial.

Don't forget to mention Imus in this discussion. That is one disgusting man, and I can't believe he ever got back on the air. What he said was never even funny! Even people in his own booth were struck speechless and mumbling afterwards. He was horrible before the "Nappy Headed Ho" comment, and I am surprised he didn't get his a** kicked for saying it! I was even more surprised when he got picked right back up to keep doing his show?!?!?!?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

As wrong as Greek was for making the stupid comment, he was, ahem, historically correct.
I know some people that take pride over that very Greek comment.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

oh come on, they're 2 old white dudes. that's about the only likeness I see. Why go and drag Mr. Crowley's good name through the mud like that?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Crowley has a passing resemblance to Uncle Fester. I don't know where you're getting the Dan Rather resemblance.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Give Obama a watermelon stand, put him behind it and I'm sure someone would buy one. I know I would, I love watermelons.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Look, I dislike both Dan Rather and Obama, but this is ridiculous. "Oooh, Dan Rather dared to reference a food item once associated with racist jokes and blackface stand-up routines! Put the women and children to bed!"

You know, part of advocating death to racial steriotypes MUST be also returning many of the expressions and words used back to being the property of everyone of all ethnicities. There are only 2 choices here which are logical... the word "watermellon" is forbidden from ever being used because it is offensive and racist by nature OR the word "watermellon" can now be used by anyone, directed at anyone because we have said "NO!" to ethnic jokes in regards to watermellons.

There also needs to be a little bit of generation gap acknowledgement here, too. My grandmother was in a nursing home in her later years. An African American family from a local church would bring in some Bible story books and read to the elderly in that home every Friday afternoon. Once I was visiting her when they came by and my Grammy loudly says "Oh, that wonderful colored family is here!) and the lady at the next table over said to the old man next to her "The negro family is here to read to us!" This was the late 1990s, not the 60's. Guess what? That family never so much as flinched, they smiled at the old folks, greeted them each by name, and carried on with a legitimate happiness to be there for the elderly generation. Why was that? Shouldn't there have been some sort of outrage? Might it be because they recognized that there was no intended disrespect or hatred in those old ladies (my Grammy included)? It was just an example of a previous generation using words with no mallice whatsoever, which they were using because it was the acceptable verbage they had grown up with.

I'm caucasian. I like watermellons (with a sprinkle of salt, no less). What's the beg deal?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

, "Listen he's a nice person, he's very articulate" this is what's been used against him, "but he couldn't sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic."

.mrc.org

top topics

join