It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you miss the most if you could never go to the grocery store again?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't miss getting run over by shopping cards, people blocking isles because they are too busy on cell phones, non friendly cashiers, and numerous grannies-happens mostly when we're in a hurry or are not feeling well- asking my husband and I to help them because they think we work at the store(because we are young?).

As I mostly shop at groceries stores for food:
This thread loves cheese, cheese lovers unite!

I'd miss cow cheese unless a neighbor would lend me/trade some. Though, it wouldn't be the the same as the variety of cheeses offered. I own goats that make milk and cheese for me... Pygmy milk is pretty sweet, so maybe yogurt too.
I can grown my own veggies(to an extent) and make bread... and fish locally. Learn to grow my own soy. And considering I stock up on flour or make, can make homemade pizza and other foods.

I'd mostly miss;
soda
chocolate & candy
junk food
processed vegetarian foods(Boca burgers are like fast food)
Coffee

[edit on 19-3-2010 by dreamingawake]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
We have a pharmacy (first thing you see) in the grocery store.

I'd miss the Vicodin's.

Then the butchershop in the back. Preping meat can be a pain especially zombie flesh if it comes to that.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
There isn't too much I would miss from the grocery store. I'm lucky to live in beautiful PA Dutch Country, with many farms that sell fresh produce and meats. I bake my own bread, use local products whenever possible, and eat simply. I think the products I would miss most would be spices -- I can't get many of them locally!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'd miss:

1. Snyder's sourdough pretzels. Heck, any pretzels with salt on them.
2. Salt and vinegar chips
3. Dark chocolate
4. Old Bay Seasoning
5. Soy sauce
6. Italian Hoagie with Boarshead meat
7. V-8 juice (tomato)
8. Lebanon balogna
9. Milk
10. Sharp cheddar cheese

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Interesting question. There's nothing that I would miss. Maybe bumping into people I haven't seen in a while but that's about it.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You mean there is no food that gives you comfort? Doritos? Hot chocolate? Starbucks? Mashed potatoes from your favorite restaurant?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a great place to meet women.

and veggies when it's not garden season.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My little six year old cousin, who screams " I want a snicker's " at the top of his lungs, due to his mother spoiling him....

Oh crap, now wait a minute, I haven't seen him since we wen't to the grocery store....

Oh there he is, in the backyard, tieing cat's over the clothesline again... I thought I told ya not to do that crap, billy!!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Waiting2

Nope. Just sustenance. You'd be surprised at the tasty things I can make with limited ingredients. It's all in the right herbs.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I would miss the ability to go to the store! Oh that and peanut M & M's!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I had to revisit this thought-provoking thread after pondering for a bit.

I'd said that I would miss mushrooms the most, and perhaps that's true, however............ after spending the weekend making one paltry liter of coconut oil, I have to revise my answer.

I would miss olive oil. I love olive oil. I only cook with olive and coconut oil. Don't deep-fry any more, and I really like the flavor of olive oil. I suppose that's why we have 24 24-oz. (709 ml) tins of Carbonell olive oil. It has to run out eventually, if TSHTF. The last smear of olive oil across hot homemade bread will surely bring a tear or two.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I hear ya, Intrepid. We've been simplifying too, minimalizing for the last 16 years. Still, I'm curious to know your guilty pleasures.......... what is it?

I'm betting on chilimac. Go ahead. Tell me you don't love chilimac.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Still, I'm curious to know your guilty pleasures.......... what is it?

Not food but beer? Oh yeah but I quit drinking last month so that's out.

I'd say pizza is my fav. but I could easily do without delivery(supermarket pizza?
)

[edit on 24-3-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by argentus
Still, I'm curious to know your guilty pleasures.......... what is it?

Not food but beer? Oh yeah but I quit drinking last month so that's out.

I'd say pizza is my fav. but I could easily do without delivery(supermarket pizza?
)

[edit on 24-3-2010 by intrepid]

didn't you see that thread about the pizza cheese being made anti foaming agent for cleaning boilers?

buy some motz & make ur own homre!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
[

buy some motz & make ur own homre!

The point isn't what you can do without or what you can make.

What would you miss if you could never go to the store again?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
My little six year old cousin, who screams " I want a snicker's " at the top of his lungs,

You know, you might actually miss being able to hear him scream about wanting a treat.

He knows what he will miss. Snickers!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Meat and dairy products. It's sad I know, but I'm not rich so I suppose I'd miss hamburger and cheap cuts of meat the most. If it weren't for my medical problems, a post apocalyptic scenario might do me some good.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have a little extra money and I have been buying exotic stuff like coconut butter and apricot-nut chutney. I like variety in the taste of things. I would hate to eat the same stuff everyday even if I had plenty of it.

I like having 80 different cereals to choose from.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

you might appreciate this: In 2004, Hurricane Ivan hit the Cayman Islands, although not the island I live on -- we only got 90+ mph winds. In the aftermath of the 'cane, several people made fun of us for having carried spices, canned butter, tinned olive oil, honey, coffee and various herbs with us to the cave shelter.

I also carried a #10 can of open-pollinated seeds, as well as one of my guitars. Point is, people thought it was silly to carry spices. Well, having had to live off MREs for a period of my life, I quickly grew to appreciate the value of food that has FLAVOR. In a SHTF situation, sure you can surVIVE off most anything, but morale suffers. If morale suffers, then then psyche and body suffer, and you are less than you could be.

Case in point: Bring the technology to let people have a hot shower after a disaster. They are renewed. Same goes for a hot meal that actually has texture and flavor.

..............and that is why we rotate spices and dried herbs (many of which we grow and dry) the same as we do our stockpiled foods. It matters.

I have another thing to add to the OP question: I would miss wine. I make a semi-decent Naseberry wine, but there's nothing like the grape, if you fancy it. I would miss Tumeric also, and artichokes, and chocolate. Yes, okay, I admit it. Cheese is one of my favorite things, especially Bleu cheese, swiss cheese and provalone. I would miss salami. I would miss hot dogs, even though I think they are nasty pseudo-meats.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Guinness

I once lived for 2 weeks on the stuff. It's like soup, but it makes you fight.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join