It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you miss the most if you could never go to the grocery store again?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

Very funny post!

When I went shopping after the last storm most of the carts were full of dog food, cat food, and kitty litter. If I couldn't get to the store I wouldn't want to share my oatmeal with a pet.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I would miss meat the most.

My favorite foods tend to change though, so I can't be sure how pleased I would be with that choice later.

Previous favorite foods have included Pop Tarts, cereal, toaster strudels, and...probably some others I've forgotten.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The cocky Canadian clown behind the cash register, the primadonna who responds to criticism with deliberately lousy service. There's countless scores of them in every store.

It would be absent at last from my life.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
The cocky Canadian clown behind the cash register, the primadonna who responds to criticism with deliberately lousy service. There's countless scores of them in every store.

You should probably shop on-line.
What items would you miss if you could no longer buy them?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I would miss:
Rude, Ghetto Cashiers. My neighborhood Speedo and hunting vest wearing fat guy on a bicycle. Ridiculous parking lots where someone will sit and block traffic for 5 minutes instead of parking two spaces further away. Front Door Lurking Hispanic males oogling the Blonds as they come and go.

Hmmm.....I'm sure there are a lot of other nasty and hateful things that I will miss about shopping at Megalo Mart to get subpar, highly industrialized and stripped down versions of food that used to grow wild in the US. I suppose I will miss all the refined sugars and refined flours and MSG that make up the majority of everything we eat these days. I suppose I will miss that clicking buggy that pulls to the right and smells like baby diapers.

In all seriousness, our society is extremely spoiled to have milk and honey and sugar and sweets at our fingertips 24 hours a day, but it is probably this very convenience that is killing us. I know I am a hypocrit for complaining about the very places that I continue to shop, but it is so much further to drive to get to a good mom and pop store. If the Megalo Mart was history, the Mom and Pop stores could come back and we would all have a neighborhood store where we knew peoples names and we knew where the food came from!

[edit on 12-3-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The ability to have a cold beer on a hot day. I would still have wine and beer (been brewing for years) but I would miss that feeling of a COLD beer.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I would definetly miss milk the most. I drink about half a gallon a day, which of course annoys my parents to no end.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I would miss:

1) Lucky Charms
2) Edy's French Silk ice cream
3) ....

Hmmmm. I'm having a hard time thinking of what else. Any one have a recipe for Lucky Charms?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
My wife says, "Vodka and Chocolate"......I most likely miss.....hard to say I HATE SHOPPING...but if I had to it would be Baked Beans and Apples in and out of season.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm assuming that you could most likely start your own 'farm' and get most of your staples from that, even if you had to do a co-op system just for the labor. In this case, I would miss sugar. At least until someone was able to get a crop of sugar beets or sugar cane going and finally processed. Chocolate would be another thing. If things were so bad that grocery stores were extinct, I doubt there would be much international trading, either. Vanilla comes to mind. I don't live in a region where it would be easy to raise the vanilla orchids, unless there was a greenhouse. I would miss seafood like shrimp and scallops since I don't live close to the ocean. Crawdads can easily replace lobster, for me.

I guess this also depends on where you live. If you're in a city, you're pretty much screwed when it comes to making do for yourself. The country dwellers will rule and have the know-how. Farmers markets will be the new grocery store, and in my opinion, have much better stuff to choose from. No grocery stores? Probably no money system - you'll have to trade something for your dinner and such. Hope you have a skill or something of value besides gold.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'd miss Coca-Cola

I'd crave it so much, my mouth would feel weird without it

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzerz
Vanilla comes to mind.

I didn't think of that. Homemade ookies and cake won't taste the same without vanilla.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I had to really think about this.

Most missed junk food: definately Potato Chips

Most missed regular food: Nice roast or steak.
I know how to dress out animals, but it's not much fun.

Staples: I would miss salt. Mayo is easy to make - if you have eggs and oil. Spices make the ordinary wonderful. Bouillon cubes and wasabi (to clear up head colds.)

Paper: TP

Hygiene: Toothpaste, floss, and toothpicks

Veggies: Tomatoes (I grow them, but it's out of season here.)

Ready made: Chinese and Mexican food and Submarine sandwiches

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I would miss the claw machine and new pictures on peopleofwalmart.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by Echo007]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo007

Dude! Wal-mart? I would Not miss wal-mart! I must say that most of all I would miss
tortillas...flour..corn tortillas makes no difference. I must have
my breakfast tacos w/ lots of salsa!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this quite a bit. I tend to crave different foods at different times. No matter what food I like the best I could never stock up enough of that to last a lifetime.

In the book the girls missed tea and sugar because those things symbolized the culture they had lost. Maybe I will miss KFC take-out dinners the most because that will be my symbol of our current culture.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
cheese,ham,cigarettes,coca cola,ice cream...put simply:im fat

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
LOL peopleofwalmart is hilarious!

I'd miss popcorn, potato chips (although if I have kale, I can make do with kale chips), prosciutto, and seaweed the most.

What I wouldn't miss: people rudely bursting out of their aisles full force with their carts without looking first. People stopping two carts in the same spot in an aisle so no one else can get through. And people cutting in front of me and slowing down.

My grocery shopping rage is pretty much the same as my road rage, actually.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Soft Pretzel Bites filled with Cheddar Cheese.....

Damn, sitting here thinking about life without them...

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That'd be JIF peanut butter (it's what I missed most while over there), & Brach's Caramels!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join