It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stages of my Awakening...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
When things get a little chaotic, I sometimes have to remind myself I am only an observer.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm right there with you on #5, and it can get very frustrating at times wearing that "mask." Here is what I have decided: I do not wear a "mask" as much so now as much as I just do not force my beliefs on others. I am in college, and I used to be a heavy drinker and non-believer. the last several months have given me life in a new light. It was still hard to make the transformation at first due to several years of habitual behavior, but I am finally turning that corner. I personally do not drink, do not smoke (other than a very rare cigar or hookah), and do not perform other behaviors I used to. I seek knowledge and try to help others more.

A lot of my friends still drink, and they drink a lot. Some do not believe in a higher power at all. This was tough for me at first, and it still can be, but I still hang out with these people and accept them for who they are. I am no better than anyone else, and I have had my fair share of ridiculously drunken nights. With that being said, I do not wear the "mask" anymore as much as just observe their behavior and opinions and take note of it without changing my beliefs or imposing my beliefs onto them (violation of free will). I am not perfect at this, but I feel like I am doing alright at it. The other night some of my friends were joking about believing in a higher power as if I was not there. I just kept quiet and took note. I will not try and "change" anyone, and I will not try and help anyone who does not want my help. I looked at this occurrence as more of a test. Can I handle myself according to my beliefs even in the face of opposing beliefs? Not too long ago the answer would have been no. Not anymore.

What I do instead is take their beliefs and learn from them. I try and see why they believe what they do. Without opposing beliefs we would all just blindly accept one given "right" without there being a "wrong." There cannot be "right" without "wrong." There cannot be "good" unless there is "evil" to counter it. Darkness is the absence of light. When light is present, it prevents darkness.

I put these words in quotes because I believe the only true, non-illusion we have is love (That is just my belief personally). I am still getting used to this, and it can be hard to live by. For me, we need these things. They are challenges. I don't wear a "mask" and pretend to believe what I do not feel is right. I do respect those peoples' beliefs because they are people just as I am, and to me the only 100% right answer is one I am not at a point of understanding yet. Think of this whole life experience as one big test. If you can take value out of every single person's beliefs you meet, whether you agree with them or not, and accept this person as an equal and treat them with love and respect, you pass the test.

One thing is for sure, it is not easy. That's what makes it worth it. I wore the "mask" when deep down I had these feelings i am expressing now, yet I did what everyone else was doing because I was scared to find out "more."

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

And when more are awakened, that's where change will come. Violence or revolution will not be necessary, and would only be overkill, for no minority would even dare contemplate go against the majority. They can kill one, a thousand, but no way in billions.
I agree with you there, and although I don't partake in such threads, I know this has been a hot topic lately...but I really don't think violence and death is a good way of solving a problem...in fact, it's counter-productive and doesn't solve anything...

<< 1   >>

join