It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to the young (under 18) people on ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
First let me qualify (or limit it) myself. I am an old man by your standards. You would roll your eyes and laugh under your breath if I said this stuff to you in person. My adolescent children do it all the time. I have fought in war and been the operator of a magnificent machine that took people not much older than you to the place they would die at, and I have gone back in after the survivors and the bodies of my friends. I have taken lives, and I have snatched people from certain death.

I am a proud United States citizen. I am proud of my country, and all of it’s peoples…and that includes you…the youngsters. When the youngsters of my country interact with the youngsters of other countries…be they friend or foe…we get closer to world peace. My generation is leaving you one heck of a mess to sort out.

Let me first start with my “father like” cautionary statements.

You have chosen to join, or at least read the threads on the ATS forum. And though most of it is family (youngster) friendly, some of it is not. Some of what you will read here is blatantly unfriendly to young developing minds, and it is obvious in the initial parts of the thread. Some of what you will read here is more subtle and covert in it’s presentation. It will leave you with questions about things you have been taught were cut and dried. Those threads are the ones that your exposure to worry me the most.

By virtue of the vast number of people registered on ATS you are presented with a true cross section of the world’s views. Nothing here is cut and dried. Rather it is a dynamic process of discussion that will present ideas that you and your home culture find agreeable or disagreeable…and many degrees between. I encourage you to INVOLVE THE ADULTS IN YOUR LIFE while you decide what you believe. The moderators here do an excellent job of weeding out the most inflammatory posts, but you the consumer…as young as you are…will have to step up to the moderator task for your own consumption.

Some admonishments from me (a father) follow:

Protect your personal information. Age, gender, location and affiliations. Do not link to your Facebook page or other social network sites you frequent. Choose a gender neutral username for ATS. The “good” people here don’t care about your personal information, we want what goes on in your mind.

Know that all here are not friends. The ‘bad” people here might want to seem like your friend. Remember, this is a cross section of the “world’s society”.

If something here bothers you, steer clear. As a pilot, I do it all the time. If there is something ahead that looks like trouble, I change my course…up to and including 180 degrees. I know what’s behind me, I know where I came from. Know where YOU came from!

That said, I welcome you to the mind expanding, confusing and ever changing ATS. By being here, you have exhibited a trait of being young…inquisitiveness. That trait used to be very common, but I feel it has become somewhat rare in the younger generations. Literate, inquisitive young people are the greatest natural resource on this planet. By being here , you are or will become one of those that make a difference.

Don’t forget to be entertained here. This is far greater than any movie or video game or sporting event. It is ok to laugh at posts. Not all of them need to be taken seriously. Further not all of them need to be responded to.

When the time comes, share with us what you think. Tell the world what we need to hear.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Mods:

Please put this where it belongs. I think I got confused.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 3/8/2010 by rotorwing]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Does this have to do with a 13 yr old girl making a thread on here, that is now on the front page?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

It does...scares the hell outa me!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Surely you could have found a better site to satisfy your need to lecture other peoples' kids?

AOL chatroom?

Neopets?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing
I am a proud United States citizen. I am proud of my country, and all of it’s peoples…

tl;dr

Some people try to get to the front page that sometimes I feel like this site gets almost as bad as digg. Meh, I used to make inflammitory threads about indigo people to grind ATS points when I was new and wanted to see "rats"

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think it was a very appropriate post. Seems perfectly fitting for a person in any online forum to see a child in the room and make an adult statement to that child. "Hey if you are going hiking in those woods you might wanna be careful, there are bears in there, have fun."
It is evident the OP meant everything he said, and said it with respect. It was not derogatory, nor did it belittle anyone.
When I was a child if we were on Mr. Swanson's lawn and we were doing something we were not supposed to, or if he simply felt we were conducting ourselves in an inappropriate manner you better believe he would have been out there giving us what for. The internet has become the new playground for our children. It's good to see some Mr. Swanson hangin around, I thought folks like that had truly gone by the wayside.

My thanks Rotor.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by recycled
I think it was a very appropriate post. Seems perfectly fitting for a person in any online forum to see a child in the room and make an adult statement to that child. "Hey if you are going hiking in those woods you might wanna be careful, there are bears in there, have fun."
It is evident the OP meant everything he said, and said it with respect. It was not derogatory, nor did it belittle anyone.

My thanks Rotor.

Those that seem to have an Agenda will disagree with you.

Roto

That was a well written and thought out post. There is nothing wrong with what you wrote or your intentions.

Thanks

PEACE

Slay

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Perhaps, but it is balance that keeps us suspended.

Have a great day,
recycled

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

I know it's hard, but lets remember to be courteous.

You may not agree with the message, because you don't agree with it doens't mean you have to post.

Thank You.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thankyou Rotorwing and recycled .

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Those that seem to have an Agenda will disagree with you.

Roto

That was a well written and thought out post. There is nothing wrong with what you wrote or your intentions.

Thanks

PEACE

Slay

what agenda is that?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rotorwing

Sincerely, if I can say this, I'm much more concerned when I see people becoming concerned if some very young girl joined ats, like she is some weak person who has to be warned about danger, 'cos adults know more...

Sorry to say, but I'm more concerned and scared when I see ignorance in people I personally know and I find be in the know early in the life is much more important for the future...

In that thread about the 13 years old girl you guys have acted like she can't think on her own...

Its not a problem of huge significance if some 13 years old girl joins this forum...
Maybe she will even share some well-thought opinion with her parents and all will be okay...
She will be okay...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Very well put. Let us try to be responsible and considerate of our greatest assets - the young people.

Rgds

T

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Call me old fashioned, but I say a child is a child regardless of gender, and certain things are not suitable to a childs healthy mental development.
The childs thread was closed because people took exception to my fatherly advice, interpreted in all manner of ways, I wish I hadn't bothered.
I know exactly what my kids are reading online, and I hope her parents do too, parental guidance is not a negative thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good job roto.

While some may take exception to what you stated, I see it as good advice.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Hey there rotorwing,

I thought your post was well written and well executed ... and I totally agree with the sentiment behind it.

I think any posters who sees a problem with the concern you and I'm sure others have/will show are maybe the young ones you seek to protect ... ah the irony !!!

They would have to be surely ... because I couldn't imagine an adult (possibly with teenagers of their own) ... or even a young person with a mature head on their shoulders, possibly having an issue with your concerns.

I just hope any young people who read this have the maturity to understand and adhere to your advise ... because the fact is that any who do not and take issue with your advice, are obviously the ones who are not mature enough to be on a site like this in the first place ... and that doesn't always have anything to do with how many years they've been around this time.

Woody

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join