It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Debt bigger threat to security than radical Islamists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I came across this article yesteday, thought there would be no need to post it, cause I was sure it would show up here all on its own...well, checked again today, and no posters, so I guess I'll have to do it.

At first the headline really caught my attention www.zogby.com...

"Americans Say Debt to China More Serious Threat Than Terrorism"

and the short article was interesting...

"UTICA, New York - More than twice as many U.S. adults (58%) say that debt owed to China is a more serious threat to the long-term security and well-being of the U.S than is terrorism from radical Islamic terrorists (27%).

Interestingly there was little variation by party identification with a majority of Democrats, Republicans and independents all agreeing that the debt owed by the United States to China poses the greater threat. Opinion was consistent across all other major demographic and political sub-groups"

This poll says to me that most Americans like myself recognize the importance of being self sufficient, self relient, and not planning on living on a deficit.

I don't do it, I can't, I won't. Why does the country I live in think it can? I think the point of this poll shows that the common American has more intelligence than their elected officials, I don't read it as terrorism being a non threat, I read it as Americans realize their freedoms are at stake as their country slips away from financial independence.

Whats it say to you?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have a friend who works for a certain government agency who stood up against the surge in Afghanistan for this very reason. And now he's getting his "I told you so"
moment.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

This poll says to me that most Americans like myself recognize the importance of being self sufficient, self relient, and not planning on living on a deficit.

I don't do it, I can't, I won't. Why does the country I live in think it can?

That's a good question. None of us could maintain our lifestyles for very long under that kind of debt. How does the government manage? Well like a ticking time bomb they're strapping that debt to our children set to go off sometime in the future. When that happens TPTB would have safely secured their booty for themselves and their children. They care nothing about us/ours.

I think the point of this poll shows that the common American has more intelligence than their elected officials,

This is what my hubby says but I cant' believe these college educated people are really that ignorant. Imo they have either been completely blinded by power/greed or this whole economic nightmare is going according to plan. Just another mass manipulation to thicken the cash lining their pockets. They'll artificially prop it up and put a big smiley face on it. Then they'll tell us "there's nothing to see here..... just go shopping. Don't worry about the futures of your children, we're not."

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The problem is that to many Politicians promised to many things in order to get elected. Then they fulfilled those promises with borrowed money. Now the problem is that a huge chuck of the people live off of the governments borrowed money. Someone has to stand up and say, "Sorry all the promises of the past were unrealistic and unsustanable." The problem is that this is political suicide and NO ONE wants to be that guy. No one wants to take away social security, medicaid, medicare, etc. etc. So NO ONE will be that guy until the system just collapses in on itself. That way no one person will be to blame.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by trueperspective]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There is no such thing as a "radical Islamist". It is a phony term bandied about by jihadis in order to deceive non-muslims into thinking that 1,400 year long Islamic Jihad is not real and that Islam is a religion of peace.

There are muslims, walking in the path of Mohammed and doing as he commanded, and spreading Islam through jihad both violent and nonviolent using the techniques of taqiyya.

They are not terrorists, they are not radical. They a holy warriors going about Allah's work.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That is because people know thier asses are cooked of the economy tanks..

No more Cars, No more suv's no more hookers, its all gone if the economy tanks.. you be lucky to pick up oddles of noodles for 1 buck.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I hate to post such an obvious reply but this is one of the biggest 'duh' threads created this week. If one controls your money/assets then they control you. We are selling this country piece by piece to foreign countries. Not all of them have our best interests at heart either. This is a much BIGGER threat than the hyped up terrorism any day of the year.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

I agree with you to a point when you say a huge chunk of people live off of the governments borrowed money. The government has turned social security into another form of welfare. Not to mention the fact they were borrowing from it to fund other interests.

Welfare is one thing but social security gets direct contributions from employees for the benefit of that employee. If social security funds have magically turned into worthless borrowed money that in itself should be considered a crime.

Social security in some cases is basically welfare but the huge amount of money the government misused was contributed in good faith by working people. The fact the government played away those funds should not put a taint or a penalty on those who paid into it and believed in the system. Should we just forget about them and pretend they are but a small percentage of those on social security? They're the ones who funded it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I guess i'm stating the obvious, but your chances of being killed in a terrorist attck are extremely rare.
Your life is going to be affected more with such a huge debt hanging over your head.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I guess i'm stating the obvious, but your chances of being killed in a terrorist attck are extremely rare.
Your life is going to be affected more with such a huge debt hanging over your head.

top topics

join