It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France seizes 35 Somali 'pirates'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

France seizes 35 Somali 'pirates'

news.bbc.co.uk

The French navy has captured 35 piracy suspects off Somalia's coast - hailing it as the most successful mission since EU operations began in 2008.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So the French have seized 35 Somali 'pirates' fair enough, something needs to be done off the coat of Somalia, reading the article made me think a bit though,

"It is not yet clear what France intends to do with the suspects. More than 100 Somalis accused of piracy have been sent to Kenya, but very few have been convicted and most are languishing in jail awaiting trial in the country's overburdened legal system. A handful have been sent for trial in France, the Netherlands and the US".

So they catch them then don't really know what to do with them?… that just seems nuts! The setting up of an international tribunal to sort this problem should be paramount, I understand the Somali people have it hard with seemingly no future, and I understand the fishing industry has all but died a death (some say this is the main reason for the pirates existing) but surly some sort of tribunal should be set up ASAP!! A deterrent in a Lawlessness country is surly needed to be brought forward by the international community!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

It must be quite nice, actually. While they might be incarcerated, they're given meals, water, a place to sleep in relative safety.

Sounds like a far cry from their usual daily lives. I could see this becoming a trend. Pirates suddenly getting "caught" all the time.

Arr!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Even Bill Clinton hates them...zero chance.
2nd line

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
reply to post by Majestic RNA

It must be quite nice, actually. While they might be incarcerated, they're given meals, water, a place to sleep in relative safety.

Sounds like a far cry from their usual daily lives. I could see this becoming a trend. Pirates suddenly getting "caught" all the time.

Arr!

I'm not sure how facetious you are with this, but quite a few of these Somali pirates, are actually relatively wealthy now. I'd have thought that those on their second or more round of piracy were long past the days of worrying where their next meal was coming from. It's the fact that this is more profitable than what's happening at home is becomes the motivation to pirate in the first place.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Hi noonebutme, Not so sure about that, the pirates have it quite good, they claim their doing it to defend their shores against foreign fisherman, but they have links to Al-Shabaab and al-Qaeda, so it's not quite as simple as them wanting meals or water If they get caught, they have a reason for what their doing and that's to primarily fund terror organizations, there's a good article on it here:

Somali Pirates

The people not involved with it are saying "They have brought bad culture here. They come here with their shiny cars, collect their money and leave. We worry that our children will be attracted to crime" so they are not the starving unsafe people you think...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Well, if it's fact then please, provide a link to them.

I'm keen to see the economic upturn experienced by the pirates of Somalia from all this profitable looting and pillaging.

...Arr!

EDIT: Ahh - saw the link to the bbc news article. Well, I stand corrected. Arr!

[edit on 8-3-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Hi noonebutme you'll not see any "economic upturn" in Somalia through the pirates endeavours, the money is being used for nefarious purposes and well as lining their own pockets.. Have a read about it all someday, it's quite interesting what's going on over there, there are even guys in the UK raising money for Al-Shabaab:

Al-Shabaab

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Some more information on the link to terror organizations, this is a good read and let's you know what's going on over there…

the pirates are now engaging in vast criminal activities including money laundering, arms and human trafficking, paying bribing, extortion, training terrorist organisations such as the Al-Shabaab and more recently, protecting international drug cartels.

Somali Pirates

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Majestic RNA]

top topics

join