It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the russians steal the idea for the Ak-47?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This weapon below is the german Mp44 it seen action during ww2!

Now heres a pic of a Ak-47

Now in my opinion, After germany lost the war Russia stole the design plans for the mp44 and slaped there name on it! What is your opinion Ats?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well Ya!!!!!The Mp44 was the first assalt rifle and is the grandfather of all modern assualt rifles including M-16.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Everyone takes idea from different places and copies things but that's just the way it is. Lots of the Allies took things or scientists from Germany didn't they.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Mikhail Kalashnikov on the History Channel said "NYET!" He did not copy the German "Sturmgewehr"

But the resemblance cannot be mistaken....

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The Ak-47 uses a different operating system then the one found on the StG, with the difference not stopping there. So no, he did not copy it.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I saw that on the history channel to, they compared the guns and the mechanics where very different. One of the main things on the AK was the simplicity

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yeah, the AK-47 uses a machined rotating bolt with 2 lugs, while the StG uses a tilting bolt.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
I saw that on the history channel to, they compared the guns and the mechanics where very different. One of the main things on the AK was the simplicity

Come on, as if the Soviets had the technological capacity to copy the MP43/Stg44 weapon.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Russians havent copied but MODIFIED stg44 and made AK47. They are well known of stealing plans of best enemy's weapons, modyfiing them and mass producing. Do you know that Mig-29 is VERY similar to F-15???
And Stg44 isnt only assault rifle in WWII. Even heard about american M2 rifle? Fully auto, 30 round 7.62mm magazine.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Russians havent copied but MODIFIED stg44 and made AK47. They are well known of stealing plans of best enemy's weapons, modyfiing them and mass producing. Do you know that Mig-29 is VERY similar to F-15???
And Stg44 isnt only assault rifle in WWII. Even heard about american M2 rifle? Fully auto, 30 round 7.62mm magazine.
Somehow I doubt it, while the Russians did copy some things I don't think they'd copy any more then the concept behind anyone elses guns because at the time they had some of if not the best sub-machine guns in the world. With great reliability, rate of fire, weight...... german sub-machineguns by comparison were often less reliable, and weighed a lot more.
As for the F-15 looking similar to the Mig-29 if you look carefully at where they can put differences you'll see that the similarity is more skin deep then anything else. You have to remeber that everyone follows the same physics and at the time the two engiened, swept-back wing, two vertical fins was unanimously seen as the best way to go. We still haven't moved off that basic concept, however you'll see that Russian designs put the jets and wings lower while the americans are often flush with the top of the fuselage.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'm a newbie to ATS, and haven't yet posted my details. Still, this is one way of getting noticed.
I think it was Jeff Ezell's definitve book on the AK where he said it wasn't a copy., but ponder this:
nobody designs a new ammunition and a new weapon in a year or two. The 7.62 round for the AK was around for a good while (Soviet designation is 1943 so it'd have been planned/ on the drawing board in test for two-three years before that).
Captured StG44 would have turned up as the Russians were winning. Why would a victorious army design new ammo/ weapons when waht it had was working so well they were winning.
Similar engineering problems produce similar engineering solutions.
MiG 29 and F-15 are not similar except for (roughly) overall shape.
Oli

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The basics for the Ak was made by a dane, which gave it to the commies when he converted( to communism) i'll try to link, which can confirm this, i am 98�% sure

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WindWalker
The basics for the Ak was made by a dane, which gave it to the commies when he converted( to communism) i'll try to link, which can confirm this, i am 98�% sure

No, it was designed by Mikhail Kalasnikov.

And the AK was not a copy of the StG, they use very different interal designs.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
LOOK AT A PICTURE OF A STG 44 AND AN AK 47 BESIDE EACH OTHER!!!!!! QUESTION ANSWERED!

Sincerly,
CPL Sabastian Sears (CDND)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The AK47 was designed based primarily on the SKS. If you take the dust cover off of the AK, you will see the two are almost exactly alike.

The Mig-29 is very similar to the F-15 because it was designed to compete against the F-15. It is cause and effect.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Warhappy

The concept of the Kalashnikov was inspired by the STG44 but the engineering behind the mechanics was strictly Soviet.

During World War II, the Germans first pioneered the assault rifle concept, based upon research that showed that most firefights happen at close range, within approximately 300 meters.The power and range of contemporary rifle cartridges was excessive for most small arms firefights. As a result, armies sought a cartridge and rifle combining submachine gun features (large-capacity magazine, selective-fire) with an intermediate-power cartridge effective to 300 meters. To reduce manufacturing costs, the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge case was shortened, the result of which was the lighter 7.92x33mm Kurz.

The resultant rifle was the Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44). An earlier firearm, the Italian Cei-Rigotti combined similar features but suffered poor reliability and ejection mechanism, as well as inferior magazine capacity. Towards the end of the war, the Germans fielded the StG44 against the Soviets; the experience deeply influenced Soviet military doctrine in the post-war years.
AK-47

Originally posted by mad scientist

Come on, as if the Soviets had the technological capacity to copy the MP43/Stg44 weapon.

The Soviets had little problem reverse engineering and manufacturing the most technologically advanced aircraft in the world in 1947, the Boeing B-29 Superfortress.

They detonated a nuclear device in 1949, barely four years short of the U.S.

If they had so desired Soviet industry would have had no problems producing a Sturmgewehr 44.

Look familiar?...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac21cf3f7e4c.jpg[/atsimg]

Compared to...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14c7500fd0a4.jpg[/atsimg]

Towards the end of World War II, the Soviet Union saw the need for a strategic bombing capability similar to that of the USAAF. The U.S. regularly conducted bombing raids on Japan, virtually in the Soviet Union's backyard, from distant Pacific forward bases using B-29 Superfortresses. Stalin ordered the development of a comparable bomber.

The U.S. declined to supply the Soviet Union with B-29 heavy bombers under Lend Lease. However, on three occasions during 1944, individual B-29s made emergency landings in Soviet territory after bombing raids on Manchukuo and Japan. In accordance with the Soviet–Japanese Neutrality Pact, the Soviets were neutral in the Pacific War and the bombers were therefore interned and kept by the Soviets, despite American demands for their return. Stalin tasked Tupolev with cloning the Superfortress and Soviet industry was to produce 20 copies of the aircraft in just two years. The three B-29s were flown to Moscow and delivered into Tupolev OKB. One B-29 was fully dismantled, down to the smallest bolt, the second was used for flight tests and training, and the third one was left as a standard for cross-reference.
Tupolev Tu-4

reply to post by Amur_Tiger

Do you know that Mig-29 is VERY similar to F-15???

Originally posted by allenidaho

The Mig-29 is very similar to the F-15 because it was designed to compete against the F-15. It is cause and effect.

Other than sharing twin tails/engines, the Mig-29 and F-15 have little in common in either design or mission.

A much better analogy on paper would be to compare the SU-27(-30/-33/-35) to the F-15 and the Mig-29 to the F-16, although in real world operations the Mig as a program has been as much as a disappointment as the F-16 has been a success and the Sukhoi has not had the opportunities to attempt to rival the combat record of the Eagle.

The F-15’s record book is not yet complete, but thus far, it has put together a victory tally of 104 to zero . Flown in combat by the US Air Force, the Israeli Air Force, and the Royal Saudi Air Force, the fighter has never been defeated in combat.

airforce-magazine.com/The Reformers

edit on 20-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I could be wrong on the rifle type, but I believe that Michail Kalashnikov copied the hammer and trigger spring design from the M1 Garand.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Everyone takes idea from different places and copies things but that's just the way it is. Lots of the Allies took things or scientists from Germany didn't they.

Exactly, I have seen new hires in American companies scream in emails "innovation" when all they did was do something we did 15 years ago.

Brainwashing works apparently.

new topics

top topics

join