It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you prefer to be dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

Why are you getting aggravated? I used "Preach" in exchange for "talk about..."

*SIGH*

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

I use to think that the only reason I joined the army a long time ago was to find a meaningful death, but after I learned the truth about why im here I want to live with a purpose and at least do some good for others before I expire.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawacat
reply to post by kawacat

Now I am replying to myself - because I have got negs etc on here - just realise that you have your life, you probably have to get real about good and bad, and you really need to love yourself - that is the answer - don't let people who tell you you are bad to register - LOVE YOURSELF! That is where you start to have a good life.
Then you have God in your life.

lol, leave gods out of it.

But if I ever feel like i've taken life for granted I just listen to the one band that puts it all in perspective.

Say what you will, they kick ass regardless!

The thing I don't think alot of people recognize, is that, when a gay person tells a straight person to try and imagine being attracted to the same sex and feel it's normal, pretty much impossible, they can't do it, and vice versa.

Or, well there are a ton of examples but that just came up as the clearest, mental sickness it's hard to grasp, some people truly hate to be alive, it's not conscious, it's not a wanted thing, it just is, some people yearn to die, some are psychopaths, you probably even know a psychopath in your own life.

But the end of the thing you said that makes me wonder is...

LOVE YOURSELF! That is where you start to have a good life.

What is a good life?

Some can't love themselves, be it an abnormal brain or mental breakdown.

All this love yourself, and just be happy being alive, is all easy to say, but extremely hard to do.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
For me this is a no brainer. I would rather be alive. I love my life & I love being me. I think if I lived for a thousand years, there would still be many new things to learn, new breakthroughs in technology, new achievements for the human race, new parts of the solar system and beyond to explore. Witnessing a new page in history every day. For me, that is exciting! It's the essence of life.

Life is great for me and I'm in no hurry to leave! I'm sure this is bad news for a few people here...

IRM

[edit on 8/3/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
No, I wouldnt. Too many things which make my life worth living. It's been seven months since i got fired from my job at the record store. Since then I'm on holiday, spending all the money i have left.

If your job takes too much time, keeps you too busy, and you're not satisfied with it, think for a second. is the money you make worth the price that you pay ? We are not born to work, we are born to live. And sadly, some people do not have a choice, they have to work hard, to make a living, to feed their kids. On the other hand, some people's standards are simply just too high. Which I can not care for...

Anyway, if i would die right now, I'd miss having a high time with my friends, spending nice evenings with the family, enjoying the beauty of nature... Personally, there's nothing better than watching a sunset with my dear friends and lighten up a good smoke with it. or jammin' for endless hours with friends. playing with my sisters little boys, see them grow up. Or just be alone for awhile and get lost in music, a nice book or a far out movie. That's life for me... So, no, i wouldn't prefer to die. Not at all.

Peace..

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
i want to at least live till the 25/12/2012, just have to see this momumentus occasion, dont you?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think "life" tends to defend itself through human thought. Like that cat with the "love yourself and know god and everything will be groovy" That's just "life" saying "hey, kids, I'm not so bad, see, have faith, it'll all come out roses!" Like I mentioned earlier, its taboo to simply call the lie. Life is inherently tragic. Does it have sweetnessess, why yes it does, especially when you're young. Is it pretty much all we know, yes. I understand the tendency to voice life's platitudes, I have done it myself. With a full belly and purse, occupied genitals, and an ego full of self-regard, we can say all kinds of things. It may actually be reasonably considered "insane" to view life as otherwise than worth living. It is a part of an organism of a sort, denying its basic functionality within the whole. Nonetheless, an intelligent, honest appraisal of human life leaves one with the undeniable apprehension of an endless cycle of tragedy. Loving oneself has nothing to do with it, really. That just makes it easier to overlook the tragedy that isn't in your face. Yet.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
well it depends.

if you belive in an afterlife, it may be more appealing. or if you dont, life may feel the better, unless your life sucks then you may prefer nothing to the suffering.

my personal oppinion is:

I would rather be alive. to me uncertainty lies beyond the other side, and i have always believed in the whole a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. why risk it? enjoy life while you can!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I am not confident that I know everything - I am the same as everyone else - we all know nothing.

I am a graduate in English and Philosophy, I am a writer - I am a shaker and an all-night taker - ok, made that up.

So....why is it OK to ask about me?

What about you?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Yes. Being with God > life.

From my own personal experiences I think He is unconditional love.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

I am not qualified to tell anyone anything. Nobody should listen to me. This is why I don't tell people that life is worth living or not. I'll leave that up to them to make the decision for themselves.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Yes. Being with God > life.

Being a good person should be enough! I am a good person, yet I am not with god... and my life is fantastic!

From my own personal experiences I think He is unconditional love.

Then why is there hell? Why do many christians speak of it? Why do so many christians threaten atheists and agnostics with fire and brimstone?

It doesn't exactly sound 'unconditional'. Who is right? You or them?

IRM

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I believe you create your own Hell. I don't share my views with mainstream Christians.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I am not qualified to tell anyone anything. Nobody should listen to me. This is why I don't tell people that life is worth living or not. I'll leave that up to them to make the decision for themselves.

I think you are being too hard on yourself. There is no harm giving people advice when they are looking for it. Even on topics that deal with negative themes. Fair enough if you feel it is not your place to comment on certain issues, but I think most members would appreciate your input.

Socrates himself came to the conclusion that he knew nothing, but that did not prevent him from encouraging others to examine their own lives and consider their own answers to the Big Questions life hurled their way.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Then why is there hell? Why do many christians speak of it? Why do so many christians threaten atheists and agnostics with fire and brimstone?

It doesn't exactly sound 'unconditional'. Who is right? You or them?

IRM

Hell is something made to keep people in line, studying near death exp's i have come to find that hell is not what is said in the bible or whatever book you subscribe to.

an example of this would be.

NDE Site

The rest of this section will focus on important characteristics of the void such as:

(1)There is no love there.

(2)There is no light there.

(3)There are degrees of darkness with edges that are foggy.

(4)There are ignorant souls there which many people would consider to be evil.

(5)Human souls that committed suicide can be seen in the foggy edges.

(6)Non-human creatures can be found there, including creatures not found on Earth.

(7)Beings of light are nearby to help tormented souls.

(8)Religious references to the void.

(9)Profound examples of people who experienced the void.

I just want to point out also that commiting suicide is not always a bad thing.

God(not the same God in the bible) yes will be highly pissed at you but he will also be understanding and forgiving of those people also.

[edit on 3/8/2010 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Id love to experience a different existance, but this one I find myself in is pretty damn good. I have no confidence that anything of what we are now exist after death at all, so im going to have to say "No, I rather not be dead" , the choice between living and the unknown is a no brainer.
That said I dont fear death itself, happens to all of us sooner orlater, Id just rather not suffer great pain or fear in the incident itself.
I think old folk going to sleep and not waking seems a nice way to go.

P.S God if he exist, must be highly amused at all the contradictory notions attributed to him, kind of giives you idea what celebs feel like with all the trashy storys in tabloids. I reckon God must have soft spot for celebrities.

"I know How you feel MJ, come on in mate"

[edit on 8-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

I don't really know...I've never been dead yet.

I know it looks promising.
I know according to most of the accounts of people who HAVE been clinically dead for any length of time, seems they all want to stay dead.

They want to follow that light.

"Unconditional love" is what they describe death as, and every single one interviewed for this NDE interview (hundreds of people from all walks of life and from all over the world) said they did not want to come back and they no longer feared death.

They really make it sound fun.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

I always say ...if you want to be dead, soon enough you'll get your wish.

Why not stay and see where this colorful, variable and malleable part of existance plays out before rushing toward the inevitable.

Here you at least have a little say about what happens...after death - I think THAT'S one roller coaster ride you just can't jump off of.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have been wishing actively for death for years now. I am still alive. You are a know it all. But like I said earlier, you are just unconsciously voicing the platitudes of life. You cant' seem to help yourself. I could live for another 50 years repeating the mantra, "I wish I was dead. I wish I was dead." Over and over again all day. You don't know. You don't know anything.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Australian media mogul Kerry Packer once had a heart attack and died and was brought back. When he was asked about it he said
"The good news is there's no devil. The bad news is there's no heaven. There's nothing."

Kerry Packer had this to say on his deathbed.

"Am I still here? How f***ing long is this going to take?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join